Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I imagine this means Daphne van Domselaar is leaving for Arsenal then? Would be a shame, as I think she’s been very good for us in her first season. Or just to replace Anna Leat maybe? 

She followed up that tweet saying that van Domselaar will probably go to Arsenal. If Leat is also off, I imagine Poor will become No.2?

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 1

Is a shame to be losing DVD so soon. Obviously a supremely talented goalkeeper. 

Hopefully we can give D'Angelo some actual defensive solidity in front of her next season. 

Early days yet, of course, but I want to see some intent that we are serious about kicking on next season.

Selling DvD after only one season, as well as what happened earlier this season with Blindkilde makes me worry that we aren't serious about breaking into that 'elite' group.

Of course, we could see some big signings off the back of the money the sales should bring in. It's going to be interesting .

I've said before, though. We're Aston Villa. We shouldn't just make up the numbers any more. The mantra of year on year progression should apply as much to the women's team as the men's. This year has been a disappointment.

Liverpool have jumped us and appear to have moved into the top four which has continuously been peddled as a closed shop.

We need a bit of that next year. If they can do it, why can't we?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Villanbee said:

Early days yet, of course, but I want to see some intent that we are serious about kicking on next season.

Selling DvD after only one season, as well as what happened earlier this season with Blindkilde makes me worry that we aren't serious about breaking into that 'elite' group.

Of course, we could see some big signings off the back of the money the sales should bring in. It's going to be interesting .

I've said before, though. We're Aston Villa. We shouldn't just make up the numbers any more. The mantra of year on year progression should apply as much to the women's team as the men's. This year has been a disappointment.

Liverpool have jumped us and appear to have moved into the top four which has continuously been peddled as a closed shop.

We need a bit of that next year. If they can do it, why can't we?

Agree, but I think we've a long way to go before we can be keeping players like DvD. She's clearly at the elite level already, and we're not in a place yet to be competing with the likes of Arsenal. Hopefully money from that can propel us forward with improvements elsewhere in the squad.

26 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Agree, but I think we've a long way to go before we can be keeping players like DvD. She's clearly at the elite level already, and we're not in a place yet to be competing with the likes of Arsenal. Hopefully money from that can propel us forward with improvements elsewhere in the squad.

And this is what I've always struggled to understand about the signing of DvD.  She was an elite player before she signed for us. Turned down PSG if I recall correctly. It was one of the reasons I felt so excited about this season.

I've always suspected she was sold a project, perhaps using the progression of the men's team as an example combined with evidence of the women's team's progression last season (Rachel Daly etc.) to back it up.

Instead, she's seen our season limp along, with us scoring 13 points less than the season before with a poor defence in front of her. I wonder if there was a degree of 'I didn't sign up for this,' in her thinking. I wonder if/when the 'Get me out of here,' conversation with the agent took place.

Who knows?

9 minutes ago, Villanbee said:

And this is what I've always struggled to understand about the signing of DvD.  She was an elite player before she signed for us. Turned down PSG if I recall correctly. It was one of the reasons I felt so excited about this season.

I've always suspected she was sold a project, perhaps using the progression of the men's team as an example combined with evidence of the women's team's progression last season (Rachel Daly etc.) to back it up.

Instead, she's seen our season limp along, with us scoring 13 points less than the season before with a poor defence in front of her. I wonder if there was a degree of 'I didn't sign up for this,' in her thinking. I wonder if/when the 'Get me out of here,' conversation with the agent took place.

Who knows?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was her that wanted out. I'm sure the idea was for the team to kick on this year but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Regardless, I don't see her sale as a downgrade of our ambition for the women's team. I imagine just a bump in the road, and we will have an ambitious summer. But what do I know...

We had no choice but to sell Van Domselaar and Blindkilde, both had release clauses, Van Domselaar we wouldn't have been able to sign in the first place without a release clause, and Blindkilde's release clause was for a sum that at the time would have been near enough a world record transfer fee

The club have showed a lot of ambition, you only have to see the signings to see that, from where we were to where are has been a rapid rise, the likes of Hanson, Daly, and Van Domselaar playing for us was unthinkable just a few seasons ago, there hasn't really been anything to suggest we're happy to make up the numbers, but we can't just magically become part of the elite in an instant because we're Aston Villa

Liverpool are only top four because of how bad of a season Manchester United have had, they're only on one more point than we had last season, and WSL has been much weaker this year as well, what's really happened is that this season is that the top four has reduced to a top three, last season there was a gap between fourth and the rest, this season it's third and the rest

In the end seventh place is actually not a bad finish, given the injuries, Van Domselaar, Parker, Staniforth, Hanson, Dali all missed a big chunk of the season and we lost Blindkilde when it was too late to do anything about it, without those injuries we probably would have finished above Spurs, and would have been a lot closer to Liverpool, and Manchester United for that matter

From what Ward has said today it doesn't sound like our squad is going to look much different next season, so presumably most of the other out of contract players are going to be offered new deals, maybe all of them, but with three or four more signings and a good coach to replace Ward, this group are capable of having another good season like they had last season

2 hours ago, useless said:

From what Ward has  been quoted by the official site as having said today  it doesn't sound like our squad is going to look much different next season,

“I think I’m leaving the club, the squad in a really good position for someone to pick up this project and take it further. I think whoever comes in has a wonderful squad. This will be the first pre-season where the majority will be in, which is an unknown. I think it’s a really good opportunity for someone to come in, pick it up and put their stamp on it.”

Although to be fair by women's football standards still leaves room for a number of signings, as often you see teams change pretty much their whole team near enough in a summer window, but even if we keep the majority of the current squad together, we still need four or five quality additions

Well I can certainly see why DvD would want to play for Arsenal, they have big crowds, play all their home games at the Emirates and Arsenal are a very powerful and successful womens team.

Villa women need to build and improve on last season, otherwise we will never be able to attract established good players from elsewhere and have to continually lose our younger ambitious players.

Same old story I suppose...

Posted (edited)

Emma Sanders saying a number of clubs set to release details of their released players in the next few days, ours coming to the end of their contracts are

Jordan Nobbs
Anna Leat
Danielle Turner
Lucy Staniforth
Simone Magill
Miri Taylor (loanee)
Olivia McCloughlin (Isn't listed anywhere as being out of contract, but included her as she herself said she was in an interview)

I had thought most of them would be leaving, but with Corsie's new contract, and Ward saying that most of the squad is already in place, or words to that effect, then looking more likely that a number of them will be given new deals, hopefully we still bring in four or five though

Edited by useless

Well looks like my repeated suggestion of Ruby Mace isn't going to happen, Emma Sanders reporting that Chelsea are looking to sign her with a view to sending her out on loan. So annoying when the 'big clubs' are signing these players to not even use but to loan out on the off chance they might become good enough for them, would have been an ideal signing for us

Leat, Mayling, Patten, Turner, Maritz, Taylor, Nobbs, Dali, Lehmann, Hanson, Daly

Subs: Corsie, Gregory, Parker, Salmon, Mullett, Magill, Leon, Pacheco, Tucker

Could be a few final appearances amongst those, no keeper on the bench as Poor apparently picked up an injury yesterday, though we might have got a surprise appearance from Van Domselaar as she's been back in training,  but obviously not, and will probably never see her play for us again, good to see Tucker on the bench

Would be nice to finish on a high, but not expecting much from today, will be good to get this season over and done with and start planning for next season

Am I right in thinking Man City need to win by three goals more than Chelsea win by to take the title? They are behind by two in goal difference but also behind in goals scored.

Expect an onslaught either way. It won't be dull.

Â