Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

These are U21 highlights but in recent games have noticed she's been showing the same kind of flair on the ball that you see in this video, not that she was bad before, in fact I remember her coming into the first team as a sixteen year old and looking our most comfortable player on the ball, but she was more about keeping it simple, but seeing another side to her game now, loan last season in the championship probably did her confidence good. Not sure where they got the veo footage from, it's what the club use to film academy games and give feedback, here's a U18 boys game from February, it's interesting as you can hear everything the coaches are saying.

Big game tomorrow, Everton are probably in a false position, could be a tough one, a draw wouldn't be the worse result after the last two away wins, but would be great to go into the international break with another win.

Bit of shite scheduling to have the game at the same time as the men’s game. 

EDIT: Seems it no longer does clash for us (could’ve sworn it was originally 2pm!) but does now clash for Everton. So original point still stands. Kind of. 

Edited by Rich192

31 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Bit of shite scheduling to have the game at the same time as the men’s game. 

EDIT: Seems it no longer does clash for us (could’ve sworn it was originally 2pm!) but does now clash for Everton. So original point still stands. Kind of. 

lol last week it clashed as well, lucky I’m cross eyed

12 hours ago, villaajax said:

I thought it has always been 16.30 kick off? For a while now they've been inviting supporters to come early and watch the men's game on screens at VP.

Realised it was originally 2pm kick off when it was going to be held at the Bescot. That changed when it got moved to VP but that was weeks ago.

Frustrating half, not great from us for the first thirty minutes, we improved a little towards the end causing a little havoc in and around their penalty area, but there wasn't much measure to it, we need more composure, not just in the final third, but in general play, too many sloppy passes from us leading to us losing possession.

Frustrating because these players are capable of so much better, Everton haven't looked great, most of their dangerous play has come from our mistakes, if we played anything like we showed last season we would win a game like this comfortably.

Not a bad performance, but need to improve

Everton winning, our own fault, constantly giving the ball away with sloppy passes, it's bordering on the lazy, players need to wake up, incredibly frustrating because nearly any kind of promising sequence ends for us in that way.

Daly equalizes, hopefully that's a wake up call for us now.

And now we give away a stupid penalty, the sloppiness of our players not just today but against West Ham as well as been beyond ridiculous, constant under hit passes, passes missing their target, randomly giving the ball away when we find ourselves in a good position in the final third. Everton haven't been great but we've made them look good through our lacklustre play, that their two goals come from an own goal and penalty tells the story.

If we have any kind of budget in January, then I think a few players that have had it comfortable might be in danger of losing their place in the team.

I say again, something is massively wrong and it needs sorting.

Last season, I enjoyed watching the women. They played some nice stuff and were exciting to watch. This is night and day from that.

It's no good giving a hiding to lower league teams when we fall short when it matters. We've only beaten the two teams below us all season.

We're not getting relegated, but the progression isn't there. It's been months now and we're no better than the Liverpool game.

Time for a change, surely.

Poor result. I just don't know what's happened to us, even last week against West Ham we weren't good and the win was a bit fortunate. This season is basically a write off now. This Corsie in midfield idea needs to be put to bed asap, stop trying to cram them all in. Dread to think the lineup if Parker wasn't injured. 

Best of the rest will be 7th and at this rate probably won't even make that. We've shit the bed massively this season for some reason. 

Edited by Farlz

Predictable, Slow and Sluggish.  Cant get my head around subs, timing and personnel - we needed to change the way we approached the game, not just change like for like. I would have had Laura B-B on instead on Corsie, Salmon for Leon and Mullet for Nobbs at HT.

Agree Corsie in midfield is not good, but I fear Carla will revert to squeezing in CBs over full backs when Parker is back and we will loose even attacking threat. 

Needed a bit of youthful exuberance, don’t get the reluctance to give McLoughin or Mullet some minutes. 

I said it early and I still believe we missed a massive opportunity to progress over the summer, not even sure we stood still.

Int break to regroup again, before we meet City - that’s going to be tough. Cup game then Brighton before the break - need to get something out of those 2 games.

Put long post in spoiler

Spoiler

Poor result, and poor performance, serious lack of composure from us, to me that seems to the main difference from our good play last season, our players too panicked on the ball, and it's leading to too many mistakes, in the summer we lost first team coach Sam Rose, he was something of a big coup for us the previous summer as we took him from a good job in the mens game, he was Burton's Head of Academy, I'm wondering if him leaving has had a big impact, and maybe it was him who helped us improve so much last season.

The result today is doubly frustrating because it comes just before an international break and next game after the break is Man City away, so Brighton way into Decemeber our next best chance of three points, and that's no guarantee if we don't improve, and our record at Bescot is abysmal, one win in the league their in each of the last three seasons.

Ward with a few strange selections, I've no idea why she's starting Corsie ahead of Staniforth, that's utterly ridiculous, Staniforth is England international DM, it isn't even Corsie's position, and it shows, she keeps giving the ball away, and it's not as if she's helping us defensively by playing there, Staniforth replaced her today and looked infinitely better, not only is playing Corsie as DM keeping Staniforth out the team, but also blocking McLoughlin's pathway.

Not sure what's happened to Mayling either, she was probably our best outfield player the season before last, there were calls for her to get an England call-up, and not just from Villa fans, and she was steady enough last season, but she hasn't been herself this season, and today was another constantly giving it away, a far cry from how good she was when she first joined, now looks a completely different player, I don't know what it is but maybe with her being the only rightback at the club,  the lack of competition hasn't done her any good at all.

As for Ward losing her job that's not going to happen, we had won the previous four games before today, she's even less likely to lose her job now than she was after we lost five in a row. At this stage even if we were of the mind to make a change, we would likely wait until the end of the season, because we won't be anywhere near relegation or top four, so there's no panic, and truth be told that was probably the case before the season started, hence the club not panicking after the first five defeats, the highest we were likely to finish was fifth, not the end of the world if we finish sixth or seventh instead, in terms of the women's teams overall trajectory would still represent an upward curve.

To be honest I think a lot of the blame lays with the players, they're constantly making the most ridiculous of unforced errors, I've no idea what has gotten into them, our play is constantly breaking down because of it, as above Ward with some of her selection choices not without blame too, and needs to figure out her best team, we have too many options going forward, I have to say I'm starting to wonder if we actually look better with Lehmann in the team, Salmon and Leon look like good individual players that will get goals and assists, but to me Lehmann looks like she links up better with the players around her, especially Mayling and whoever is playing on the right hand side of midfield out of Nobbs and  Blindkilde.

Now is the time to start a process to cut loose and begin to rebuild for next season. Why wait, when we can do it now? Look for the coaching team who are going to move us forward.

Interestingly, Carla is listed pretty most places I look as manager, not head coach. I recall an interview where she said herself, she delegates much of the coaching out, focusing on people management.

Nevertheless, this season the team seem poorly coached.  Team selections seem baffling and confidence seems low. Useless, you have said players are sloppy, seem too comfortable, have regressed (e.g. Mayling). I agree.

Sam Rose was replaced by Leanne Hall as Assistant Manager. As far as I can see, the first team coach is still Luke Tisdale. Is the loss of Rose and replacement with Hall the issue?

Do we need to replace Carla or bring in a new team to work under her? Do we need a head coach (like the men's team) rather than a manager?

Surely we can't keep doing what we are doing now and hope for improvement? We're not improving!

Just seen the Man City score, beat Spurs 7-0, this after beating Man Utd 3-1 last weekend, typical that they suddenly find their form just before we play them.

Once again the timing couldn't be worse for us, international break after a defeat, and then the next game away to one of the best teams in the league, meaning probably looking at three weeks before we have a chance of getting another win, and if we do lose to Man City, then that Brighton game will become a must win, at least lets go into the international break having won that game and the Durham game in the cup.

I don't want to write the Man City game off completey, we really could with a surprise result from somewhere, but to do so we wouldn't only have to improve drastically on today's general play, but more importanly would have to show a lot more fight, as Everton looked like they wanted it more than us, they were winning all the duels, at times looked almost as if we had gone from having no confidence after first five, to having too much confidence after the last four and thinking we could just turn up and win, maybe having such an easy game against Blackburn wasn't the best preperation for us.

Still one of the best results we've had in the WSL I think is the 0-0 draw away to Arsenal on the last day of the season in our first season after promotion, as it turned out we wouldn't have been relegated anyway because of other results, but that unlikely draw guaranteed it, so to stay up on the last day thanks to such a brilliant result was a great achievement.

Â