Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

2-0 win lifts us off the bottom of the table, we needed that second goal to go above them, was frustrating at times with our passing not being as good as it can be, but that was more frustrating moments in a overall good performances, rather than a bad performance overall, we were more than deserving of the win.

I thought Pacheco, Dali, Hanson, and Salmon when she came on were our best players, Salmon not only a threat with her pace and ability to run with the ball but also works hard too, a bit like Hanson,  Daly played well too, but was having to drop into midfield a lot to get on the ball, we didn't really create any chances for her, although at first I couldn't tell if it was her or Salmon that scored the first, but BBC saying it was an own goal.

Hopefully this is a turning point for us now, West Ham next, I watched the last twenty minutes of their game against Bristol City last week, Bristol didn't look good despite winning, but West Ham lookd worse, and have lost 5-0 today, it's another game where we really should be looking for three points, all being well today's result will have settled our nerves somewhat.

• Like 1

'Nervous as hell' is a ridiculous over exaggeration, they just don't look as free flowing and as confident as they did last season, overall it was a good performance, second half we were looking closer to our old selves and you could see the confidence growing, should also be said once we took a two goal lead, we saw out the game brilliantly, I actually thought we could have gone for a third, but understandable that they'd just want to keep the ball and stop Bristol from scoring, as if they did we would have stayed bottom of the table.

We've won two games in a row now, so not really any need for negativity.

Watched some highlights and just checked the stats and we were by far the better team. Just lacked the final ball at times but definitely resembled the Villa of last season more. She'll still be a good option off the bench but I think the days of Lehmann starting games for us could be coming to an end, Salmon and Leon do seem to offer quite a bit more attacking threat. 

While obviously we've gone on about the bad start, think it's quite clear that the WSL just seems a far lot more competitive this season. Chelsea will probably run away with it but after that it's really quite close, Brighton winning at City today and Leicester currently 2-0 up against Arsenal. 

I was at the game today and I'd say were were by far the better team, really goes to show how much we've missed Dali as well.
Lehmann seemed upset when getting back on the bus after the game, hopefully it's just annoyance from not getting onto the pitch in our first win.

Arsenal score six second half goals to beat Leicester, to be fair Leicester did play well first half but Arsenal were still the better team were just wasteful with their chances whilst Leicester scored their only two chances in quick succession, second half Arsenal move up a couple of levels and completely blew Leicester away, they should have scored more, hit the post two or three times and Leitzig made some brilliant saves.

Was actually a pretty good day for us in terms of other results, Everton, West Ham, and Leceister all lose, Liverpool and Spurs both drop points, the only result that went against us was Brighton beating Man City, but more optimistic fans might say that that was actually a good result for us if we still have ambitions of closing the gap on the top four, as finishing as close as possible to Man City would probably be our best chance.

Also of note the current top five are the teams we had to play in our first five games, shouldn't need any more explanation but further shows how difficult our start has been, of course some of the reason they're in the top five is because they beat us, but also they've been doing well in their other gams too, after six games last season we had nine points, so likes of Spurs and Liverpool have got off to better start than we did last season.

Just seen that Denny Draper of Leicester City academy and one of the most highly rated youth players in the country, is the daughter of our former player Mark Draper. Was wondering if we might have made a move for her in the summer, as we've signed a bunch of Leicester's other academy players, Bella Gurling, Olivia Lowe, Charlotte Lee, Megan Shaw, Freya Hirons, Sophia Poor, Savannah Hollis, all those with the exception of Lee who plays for Wales U19s, are England youth internationals, so we're used to taking some of their best youngsters, and probably took more this summer as they closed down their academy below the U16 age group and a load had trials with us, that said the moment has probably aleady passed to sign Draper, she will either break into Leicester first team as Ava Baker has done, or will be snapped up by one of the top four.

Edited by useless

Alice Keitley scored what was both her first goal for Forest and first goal at senior level yesterday, in their 7-0 win over Sheffield in the FA Cup. She's on a dual registration with us, usually when we let players leave on a dual registration it means they're being let go, see likes of Missy Goodwin, Izzy Goodwin, Mary McAteer, Lauren Purchase, Olivia Rabjohn, and so on, but that they're still registered with us means they can still play and train with us as McAteer was last season whilst also playing for Coventry United, I guess it's a way of easing them into a new club and not just cutting them lose, and leaving them to find a new club by themselves.

Ella Bryan came off the bench for Boldmere St. Michaels in their 13 - 0 FA Cup win over Wyberton, she's got a couple of goals in eight appearances, four of those appearances off the bench, bearing in mind I think she's only sixteen or seventeen as was part of our U16s that won the FA Plate a couple of seasons ago, seems to be doing okay, she's only there on loan, so I presume will be coming back to us.

Charlotte Grant who was linked to us in the summer, is leaving her current club after their season in Sweden ended and she turned down a new contract, she reportedly has a WLS move lined up. Japanese internationals Saori Takarada and Yuka Momiki also linked with moves to the WSL after season in Sweden ended.

Edited by useless

U21s beat Sheffield United 2-1 yesterday, Georgia Mullett and Ellie Woods with the goals.

They play Solihull women's first team this Sunday in the quarter-finals of the Birmingham FA Women's Challenge Cup

On 06/04/2023 at 20:18, useless said:

I just looked at the list of our current U21 players on FA website and notice a new name, Louise Apuusi-Tchassem

Doing well it seems, seven goals in nine games playing for our U21s, a few of which have been posted to the 'secretscout' instagram account for girl's academy football, some nice finishes. Another we signed from small heath, she was playing for their U16s last season according to FA Website.

There's also an article posted to the BBC website about diversity or the lack of it in the WSL, and how we're pushing for change

Salmon and Pacheco joined in the training session at Villa's academy centre in Birmingham, where about 60 young girls received coaching. There wasn't a huge amount of black people (playing) when I was growing up," England striker Salmon told BBC Sport. It's important for young girls to see that. One thing they do look at is people like them, who inspire them, to be like them. We've seen recently that diversity in the women's game isn't where it's meant to be, but it's definitely growing. When I look at where I was as a kid playing, you see more and more now.  Initiatives like this are so important for these girls to see that there is somewhere for them to get to and there are role models like them higher up and at the top level, where they want to be. Pacheco said her family "stood out like a sore thumb" growing up, but she hopes to be a role model for young girls It shouldn't matter where you come from, the colour of your skin or the religion - we should all have an equal opportunity to play in football. That's what makes football beautiful," she said.

3 hours ago, useless said:

There's also an article posted to the BBC website about diversity or the lack of it in the WSL, and how we're pushing for change

Salmon and Pacheco joined in the training session at Villa's academy centre in Birmingham, where about 60 young girls received coaching. There wasn't a huge amount of black people (playing) when I was growing up," England striker Salmon told BBC Sport. It's important for young girls to see that. One thing they do look at is people like them, who inspire them, to be like them. We've seen recently that diversity in the women's game isn't where it's meant to be, but it's definitely growing. When I look at where I was as a kid playing, you see more and more now.  Initiatives like this are so important for these girls to see that there is somewhere for them to get to and there are role models like them higher up and at the top level, where they want to be. Pacheco said her family "stood out like a sore thumb" growing up, but she hopes to be a role model for young girls It shouldn't matter where you come from, the colour of your skin or the religion - we should all have an equal opportunity to play in football. That's what makes football beautiful," she said.

Some context needed. 10-15% of the WSL is black, Asian and minority.
18% of the population in England and Wales is black, Asian and minority (2021 census).

Stick in a small statistical variance and it's not really a lack of diversity at all. It perfectly reflects the breakdown in the population.

By all means increase the percentage. Just don't pretend it's a problem.

• Like 1

We need to get a grip of this game, West Ham the much better team so far, we're barely stringing more than a couple of passes together before giving it away or losing it because we think we have more time on the ball than we do, it's frustrating because we're so much better than this, it's no good beating Bristol City but then not following it up with a good result today

Â