Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Chindie

I've been quietly plugging away at this. Initially it's obscenely difficult, but once you get through a few bosses and it clicks, it does get a bit easier. Admittedly there's still spikes in the difficulty and it has a couple of bullshit mechanics (From's love of instakill mechanics is particularly heinous in this) but I do think some of the difficulty is the Soulsborne habits being very hard to break. 

... probably not helped by playing Bloodborne alongside it :ph34r:

• 7 months later...

Finished Demon's Souls and Bloodborne over the past few weeks. Was feeling very confident so I've moved onto this.

It's absolutely kicking my arse. Is there a trick that I'm missing with the combat or is it just a really steep learning curve?

Looks amazing on PS5 though.

11 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Finished Demon's Souls and Bloodborne over the past few weeks. Was feeling very confident so I've moved onto this.

It's absolutely kicking my arse. Is there a trick that I'm missing with the combat or is it just a really steep learning curve?

It's a really steep learning curve. 

Sekiro is super skill based and removes every crutch a player may have used in prior Soulsborne games.

There is no traditional levelling, no traditional weapon upgrades and no co-op. This is a game that makes you face your own inadequacies and helps you improve those things. 

Parrying is king in Sekiro and that game will teach you through a series of harder and harder lessons how to become a parry god. 

Sekiro can be brutal at the start, but once you get a few skills unlocked it gets easier. 

11 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

You can mash the guard button and that'll do you until you get the rhythms down to start doing the parries etc.

It has a very steep learning curve, especially if you approach it like a Soulsborne game.

I never got on with the soulsborne games, I used to love watching my mate play them but I just couldn't get into them on my own.

Sekiro I absolutely loved though, I didn't find it too difficult either, I think that if you go into it without having mastered the soulsborne games it makes it a lot easier, one of my mates gave up on Sekiro because he just couldn't unlearn the habits that he had picked up from the earlier games.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I never got on with the soulsborne games, I used to love watching my mate play them but I just couldn't get into them on my own.

Sekiro I absolutely loved though, I didn't find it too difficult either, I think that if you go into it without having mastered the soulsborne games it makes it a lot easier, one of my mates gave up on Sekiro because he just couldn't unlearn the habits that he had picked up from the earlier games.

I think that's my problem, I've come straight from Bloodborne so it seems so counter intuitive at the moment to stop all the dodging and just attack things head on. I'm getting there though, I found a spoiler free guide to tell me the best order to fight the bosses in as I was getting absolutely ruined. Things are starting to level out a little bit now.

I'm at the final boss now. Gave it a quick go last night, it's mental.

Overall, I absolutely loved this. At the start, I really considered giving up as it felt a bit unfair difficulty-wise at first (this is having come straight from finishing Demon's Souls and Bloodborne as well). But once it all clicked and I started to level up a little bit, I started to appreciate every aspect of it a lot more. Visually, it's stunning (I'm a sucker for anything set in Japan). The combat is brilliant once it all clicks. The bosses are awesome. 

Potentially on par with Bloodborne for me...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Finally picked this up. I was expecting a bit of a learning curve but man is it a difficult transition trying to undo years of Soulsborne muscle memory. I think half of my deaths are from just sprinting off cliffs because I've pressed the wrong button to jump. Combat feels kinda awful right now but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I can't get out of the habit of trying to dodge everything, I keep pressing R2 to 'heavy attack', and when I see the red kanji I can never remember the jump button in time before I get hit. I keep forgetting that I can block because blocking with a sword feels weird - and I've ever been a shield guy in the Souls games anyway so blocking in general just feels weird - and I'm having a hard time retraining my brain to recognise that basically everything is parryable because so many attacks look like they wouldn't be in a Souls game.

I'm also kinda just struggling with the flow of the combat, I'm having a hard time figuring out when it's 'my turn' to attack with a lot of enemies. That being said both bosses I've beaten so far (Lady Butterfly and the horse guy) have been pretty easy, it's mostly the mini-bosses I've struggled with (I gave up on that purple ninja guy in the Hirata Estate and just grabbed the item behind him and ran).

Everything else about the game I kinda love. Although one thing that caught me by surprise is the verticality. Fromsoft games have taught me to explore every nook and cranny of the map and with the addition of the grappling hook and the jump I find myself spending half my time peering over cliff edges looking for secret paths or trying to parkour up walls and over buildings, it's kind of exhausting honestly. Which makes me a tad concerned for when I finally get round to playing Elden Ring and there's an entire open world to explore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Platinum done.

Brilliant game. The setting, the story, the characters, the exploration, all brilliant. I also like that they tried something different with the combat and it definitely makes the game feel more cinematic but I just wish it was a little less one dimensional. The bosses especially often end up becoming a case of just repeating the same sequences over and over and punishing their one punishable attack. If anything it does the opposite of what they set out to achieve and the bosses end up feeling less alive when they're boiled down to a series of inputs you have to remember. I can certainly see why it gets compared to rhythm games.

Also enfeebling might be the most annoying status effect in any game ever.

• 8 months later...
Â