Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Chindie

Gamescom is on at the moment and From Software's latest, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, had its first hands on gameplay demo.

It looks great.

It's clearly a cousin of the Souls series, with it's own take on the bonfire and estus system, and a take on the bullet system from Bloodborne. But it's also clearly a very different beast. It's not an RPG. There's a much heavier focus on stealth. Combat is more focused on guard breaking, with enemies having an overt poise meter that you 'break' by building up attacks against an enemy that then opens up an opportunity for a visceral attack. On the flip side, you also have a poise meter... And of course it also has a much more expansive movement, with verticality actually being a Thing with the grapple hook and jump.

It seems to be 2 parts Souls, 2 parts Bloodborne, and 1 part Tenchu.

All I can say is this seems like the perfect game to me. All the difficulty and challenge of a game like Bloodborne without the ability to level up and make the game easier? That's my jam right there. 

• 6 months later...

Comes out tonight. Looking forward to it.

Initially I wasn't very excited because there is no online gameplay, but the story seems good, and from what I read, the game looks pretty challenging. 

its going to be the same as dark souls / bloodbourne

look incredible, get amazing reviews, infuriate me with its difficulty

setting is right down my street too, fortunately i think ghosts of satsuma whatever its called will scratch that itch

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The resounding comment on this seems to be that it's extremely bastard hard.

The game is brutal and I love it. Sekiro really feels like hitting the reset button on many of the skills I learned over 10 years of Soulsborne games. Sekiro is a blast to play so far, but I can see many gamers quitting after just a few hours. 

Bought it today, I like Dark souls and Bloodbourne but I always end up giving up on them after a few hours because they are too difficult, I've give this a go though purely because on the stealth aspect to it.

I quite like the combat system in it so far, I'm only right at the beginning so I'm expecting it to get hard as **** soon

I've watched some streams of this over the last few days and err... I dunno if it's just me but it seems incredibly one note. It looks very difficult and the mechanics seem solid but it kinda feels like once you've played a few hours of our, you've seen all of it somehow.

22 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've watched some streams of this over the last few days and err... I dunno if it's just me but it seems incredibly one note. It looks very difficult and the mechanics seem solid but it kinda feels like once you've played a few hours of our, you've seen all of it somehow.

That's no different to any other game. Every game is the same 30 second gameplay loop repeated infinitely. The mark of a good game is one that can keep you playing for hundreds, or even thousands of hours despite the repetition. To me Sekiro delivers on that as you're that focused and determined on not dying that you don't notice the same repeated gameplay loop. Now I haven't watched much footage of Sekiro, but as someone playing on hard mode for the last 20+ hours it doesn't feel very one note to me. If you've played Dark Souls, Bloodborne, or Demon's Souls then Sekiro is no more or less one dimensional than any of those games. 

15 hours ago, Daweii said:

That's no different to any other game. Every game is the same 30 second gameplay loop repeated infinitely. The mark of a good game is one that can keep you playing for hundreds, or even thousands of hours despite the repetition. To me Sekiro delivers on that as you're that focused and determined on not dying that you don't notice the same repeated gameplay loop. Now I haven't watched much footage of Sekiro, but as someone playing on hard mode for the last 20+ hours it doesn't feel very one note to me. If you've played Dark Souls, Bloodborne, or Demon's Souls then Sekiro is no more or less one dimensional than any of those games. 

It seems more 1 note to me than it's stablemates.

The Soulsborne series has seemingly more variety in enemy types, environment, obviously the wider choice in weapons... I dunno. It leaves me a bit cold compared to the other games just from watching it.

This is the closest feeling to playing Dark Souls for the first time I have experience. Bloodborne was different, but still felt similar to the Souls games. 

Sekiro feels like a new game. I had to learn all new mechanics, and change how I play. I am enjoying it, but my biggest issue with the game is some bosses and mini bosses feel unfair. There are some bosses where you are forced to fight them one way, and if you make one mistake, you very likely will get killed immediately. That isn't fun. I like the bosses where I can use stealth, or use certain blocks/counters to win. There are some bosses where it's literally hit once, block block block, hit once, repeat. 

I smashed that drunk juzuro or whatever his name is, I was struggling for ages so I took out the pack one at a time using stealth and when there was only one or two left I went and got my pal and destroyed him piece of piss, I was shaking by the time I'd done it

Then I met lady butterfly and realised that my joy was going to be short lived, that's as far as I've got so far, which is probably farther than any of the other soulsborne games.

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I smashed that drunk juzuro or whatever his name is, I was struggling for ages so I took out the pack one at a time using stealth and when there was only one or two left I went and got my pal and destroyed him piece of piss, I was shaking by the time I'd done it

Then I met lady butterfly and realised that my joy was going to be short lived, that's as far as I've got so far, which is probably farther than any of the other soulsborne games.

Not spoiling anything, but you can come back to Lady Butterfly which I really recommend doing.

She is more a of a mid game boss. I was struggling heavily and my NPCs were getting dragon cancer, so I stopped and kept exploring other areas. Came back to Lady Butterfly and the fight was a lot more fair. 

11 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Not spoiling anything, but you can come back to Lady Butterfly which I really recommend doing.

She is more a of a mid game boss. I was struggling heavily and my NPCs were getting dragon cancer, so I stopped and kept exploring other areas. Came back to Lady Butterfly and the fight was a lot more fair. 

I did think of doing that but she has pissed me off, I wanna kill her now.

My mate who is an avid soulsborne fan has a saying "if you can hit it, you can kill it" I'm kind of adopting that at the moment but I think you might be right.

My other mate who is a massive fan of these games can't get passed the shinobi hunter, I think I did him on my second go.

I'm noticing that a lot of players that are veterans of the Soulsborne games are struggling quite a lot, whereas those that aren't are finding it a lot easier.

One of my mates has quit near the beginning of every Soulsborne game because "it's too hard", but in Sekiro he's half way through the game and has had very little problem.

I think those used to the Soulsborne games are carrying that much muscle memory from those games that isn't useful, or downright unhelpful in Sekiro that it's making a hard game even harder.

Definitely carrying muscle memory. I regularly find myself pressing O to dodge instead of deflect. I've gotten better at it, but in boss fights when I see a big attack coming, I naturally just dodge. 

I hoping to beat the game this weekend, but man some of these levels are hard. I am at a fog area, and it's just freaking me out. 

I've nearly beaten it now. 

Game is a massive challenge with a few bosses feeling cheaply difficult, but most feel fun and give me a sense of accomplishment. Combat is fun, and the levels are great. 

Main complaint is they made a lot of things too cryptic. It's difficult to know what to do next. I know all Souls games have that type unknown factor to the story, but this is a little much. Some boss arenas will respawn new bosses fyi but you get no notification of that and only realize it if you happen to be running back in that area.

• 2 months later...

Getting my ass handed to me. There's a definite skill gap that isn't shrinking. 

To make things worse I'm not even that far into the game. Haven't even made it to a boss yet. 

Â