2018 Holiday Plans

TheAuthority

I went to Napoli in February, then Munich for a stag do at Easter. Going to Paris next week to see Arctic Monkeys then Dublin a couple of weeks after to see Gorillaz. Sri Lanka in the summer. Also got a friend’s wedding in Spain in October. Not a bad year for travel! Italy, Ireland and SL three new countries for me too ?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Asia is pretty much nailed on now for November. Looking at starting (and ending) in Bangkok, but open to ideas where to go inbetween. I guess it depends on what flights go out of Bangkok on any given day. Will probably want to chill out somewhere for a bit. 

Cebu out to Philippines for some dwarf tossing ? 

Or if you’ve ever fancied seeing it some parts of China do visa free entry now for up to 144 hours so none of that expensive visa malarkey ...  might have to investigate that though as it may restrict you to the region you fly into I.e you can’t enter Beijing and then go to Xian on it 

won’t be cheap but I’d head to Bhutan , fairly sure air Druk fly there directly from BKK .... awesome place , the locals are friendly , the beer is strong and you can hike up mountains to monasteries the morning after for absolution 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

looking at 4 days somewhere at the end of september, about £350 tops for flight and happy with a shit hotel, dubrovnik or marrakech winning so far but open to ideas

depends on what you like doing really  .... are you looking to lounge by a beach or go see some culture

Marrakesh you'll struggle to fill 4 days imo , unless you go off to the Atlas mountains  and do some hiking or maybe travel down to Casablanca by train and have an explore around there 

Dubrovnik as well as beaches offers day trips to Mostar and what not so would keep you entertained if you want to go explore  ...if you like your Game of Thrones I believe some of it is filmed there (Dubrovnik)

relax in decent weather with the option of a bit of city if i get bored is probably how i would badly describe it, the alterantive being chasing the last bit of sun in somewhere like tenerife or corfu which i dont think i would enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 12:11, villa4europe said:

relax in decent weather with the option of a bit of city if i get bored is probably how i would badly describe it, the alterantive being chasing the last bit of sun in somewhere like tenerife or corfu which i dont think i would enjoy

Split in Croatia is worth a look. Lovely city, a but less touristy than Dubrovnik with beautiful islands such as Hvar nearby. 

• Like 1

maybe a change of plan, anyone ever been to piran in slovenia?

i can get some good flights to pula in croatia or trieste in italy and travel there, looks nice, maybe a bit small, would probably try and do a day in italy and a day in croatia from there or maybe even a day trip to Ljubljana 

On 04/06/2018 at 12:03, One For The Road said:

Split in Croatia is worth a look. Lovely city, a but less touristy than Dubrovnik with beautiful islands such as Hvar nearby. 

I'm going to split, or near split in July. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm going to split, or near split in July. 

Lucky you. It's a beautiful place with loads of places to visit nearby such as Brela and Hvar. There's live music in the main square at night too and plenty of bars around the edge to get a drink from. I recommend an evening stroll around Donaciens Palace, (the old walled town of Split).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Fly out to Ibiza on Wednesday. Can't bloody wait. Then 4 weeks after we get back, we fly out to Croatia for 10 nights. Really looking forward to seeing Croatia. 

Where abouts you going in Ibiza. I live over here. Absolutely love it. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any info... :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Where abouts you going in Ibiza. I live over here. Absolutely love it. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any info... :)

The little tiny part where not everyone  is on drugs ? . Nah, I'll ask the missus when she gets back from work, and let you know. Cheers mate. 

On 21/05/2018 at 20:49, chappy said:

I went to Napoli in February, then Munich for a stag do at Easter. Going to Paris next week to see Arctic Monkeys then Dublin a couple of weeks after to see Gorillaz. Sri Lanka in the summer. Also got a friend’s wedding in Spain in October. Not a bad year for travel! Italy, Ireland and SL three new countries for me too ?

we were considering Munich for a lads do in August .. a German friend told us it wouldn't be very good and not what we'd be expecting

surprised me a little as I've been there before ( 15 odd years ago though ) but I remember it being a good night out  ...what was the verdict after your bash out there ?

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

we were considering Munich for a lads do in August .. a German friend told us it wouldn't be very good and not what we'd be expecting

surprised me a little as I've been there before ( 15 odd years ago though ) but I remember it being a good night out  ...what was the verdict after your bash out there ?

Munich is a half decent place, but not fit to shine the shoes of the likes of Dusseldorf, Cologne and Hamburg. Too sterile for me. 

34 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Munich is a half decent place, but not fit to shine the shoes of the likes of Dusseldorf, Cologne and Hamburg. Too sterile for me. 

we were lucky enough to be in Hamburg the other year when Slagerfest was on ( think that's its name) .. so we got a whole day of street parades and parties , and probably spoilt us a little ,

interesting about Düsseldorf though , I was only really passing through and had an afternoon there but it didn't look all that exciting  .. might have to give it a google

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

we were lucky enough to be in Hamburg the other year when Slagerfest was on ( think that's its name) .. so we got a whole day of street parades and parties , and probably spoilt us a little ,

interesting about Düsseldorf though , I was only really passing through and had an afternoon there but it didn't look all that exciting  .. might have to give it a google

We take our customers there after Dortmund/Schalke or Monchengladbach games. 260 bars in one square km! Always have fun there. Cologne too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah would agree with the above there are better places in Germany for that kind of trip

• Like 1

i've been to munich, dusseldorf and cologne this year , hamburg with the villa years back

munich is the nicer, prettier city out of the 4 by miles, if you were taking your misses its a no brainer, hamburg i saw the red light district and not a lot else

so then dusseldorf or cologne, flights out of brum go to dusseldorf (manc, stansted or bristol direct to cologne) but the train is £10 and 45 minutes from the airport to cologne so its really easy to travel between the 2, not really done that much in dusseldorf, done a lot in cologne and i would say its a bit of both, nicer city but still got the drinking behind it, they have their own beer and its like drinking pop, can tell you ze germans are proper late nighters, go out at 1am until 8am, with all of them you've got to do a bit of research before you go, cologne has its own version of broad street full of students and out of towners and then several other lesser known areas

football is easy everywhere again with the trains, you can be in frankfurt in just over an hour on the ICE ("happy weekend" special ticket) 

my advice would be to push it back in to september if you can and look at cologne oktoberfest, its a lot smaller than munichs (around 3k people) but next to no tourists, went last year it was incredible

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing set in stone but I will travel to NZ for a snowboarding trip in September if other commitments allow for it.

It won't be in 2018, but I simply have to see Patagonia,.

36 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It won't be in 2018, but I simply have to see Patagonia,.

In 2016 we went to Argentinian Patagonia and it was a great life adventure.

We stayed in El Calafate near the Southern edge of the Patagonian ice field and it felt like the end of the earth (you can go further but it gets more expensive and things get less reliable.)

Hiked across the Poreto Moreno Glacier, climbed through a blue ice cave, rode some old nags through the Patagonian landscape and then flew up to San Bariloche and drove Ruta 40 around the seven lakes.

I think the Chilean side is more popular but Argentina is incredibly sparse down there. You meet a lot of people who say that they just wanted a quiet place where they could raise kids/be peaceful and have a comfortable life without worrying about a lot of the things we worry about in the west.

Of course they are also incredibly proud of the fact that Hitler and many Nazi's escaped to live there! :D

• Thanks 1

Â