Gaming collections / merchandise

hogso

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Ironically this is the best time ever to collect for the PS3. Most games are in the 5-10 bucks range. It seems 2 generations is the sweet spot for when something is started to be considered "old". Give it another generation and it'll become "retro" and prices will skyrocket.

It's the 'big' special editions which are worth ludicrous amounts. The very best variants that were available for games like Uncharted 2, Last of Us and Fallout 3 are worth obscene amounts now.

5 minutes ago, hogso said:

It's the 'big' special editions which are worth ludicrous amounts. The very best variants that were available for games like Uncharted 2, Last of Us and Fallout 3 are worth obscene amounts now.

Had a glance and you're right. How much did they retail for at the time? I have yet to play them, but I imagine if they were to become one of my favorites I'd be very frustrated trying to collect those.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Had a glance and you're right. How much did they retail for at the time? I have yet to play them, but I imagine if they were to become one of my favorites I'd be very frustrated trying to collect those.

I'm not sure about the others, but the thing with the Fortune Hunter edition of Uncharted 2 was that you couldn't actually buy it. There were 200 made which were only available via competitons and such. Worth thousands, and only just over 10 years old. 

This is my CBS colecovision. I stripped it down to give it a good solder up and rebuild the dodgy controllers. It's now back together again with a RF receiver to HDMI converter. It's not working great so I need to do more. You can see some of the games I've got which came with it 40 years ago as arcade ports:

Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong junior, Looping (incredible graphics for the time), Space Fury, Mouse Trap, Smurf Rescue, Venture and Space Panic.

20170707_081149.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, darrenm said:

This is my CBS colecovision. I stripped it down to give it a good solder up and rebuild the dodgy controllers. It's now back together again with a RF receiver to HDMI converter. It's not working great so I need to do more. You can see some of the games I've got which came with it 40 years ago as arcade ports:

Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong junior, Looping (incredible graphics for the time), Space Fury, Mouse Trap, Smurf Rescue, Venture and Space Panic.

20170707_081149.jpg

I would imagine this picture is a game collectors worst nightmare...

I got DuckTales on PS3 for quite cheap off of eBay. I have a feeling that will skyrocket in a few years. 

My main PS3 loves are the HD Trilogy collections they do. PoP, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell etc... love them. 

Edited by Ingram85

As an aside, are we allowed to post our Instagram profiles here? I post a few pics now and again of my collection. richjingram if anyone is interested. Mods delete if this isn’t allowed.

• 4 months later...

About 18 months ago I put my flat on the market, and to make it look a bit more presentable, we rented a storage 'bin' and put a bunch of stuff in there. 

I got curious earlier in the year (see my posts in this thread from Feb on the other page), and started to add the stuff from my collection which was not in storage to Price Charting, a video game dedicated collection / price tracking site. 

We had to go to our 'bin' over the weekend to look for some party / board games which were in there for a week away in a big ol house near the seaside we're going on this week (Crossing, 20 Second Showdown, Blockbuster and Cat Lady, in case you're in to that sort of thing), and as we had no idea where they were, we started opening boxes... 

I wouldn't say I became obsessed with the value of some of my video game collection, but I must admit there is a sense of pride in having something which is worth a fair bit, coveted by others, and should only go up in value. So since February I've been buying the odd game here and there mainly for my collection. Including PS4 games that remain sealed. If you'd told me you did that a year ago, I would have said you were mad. I actually do intend to play the games I bought at some point, but until I do they'll remain sealed. I used to always unwrap them, even if I wouldn't play them, as soon as I got them. Is that weird? Anyway... 

With that in mind, I was quite giddy when I opened up some boxes with my old SNES, PS1, and Dreamcast games in. It's the latter which prompted me to make this massively inflated post. 

I could recount maybe three or four DC games I had off the top of my head before the weekend...Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2, Chu Chu Rocket, MSR and some UEFA branded football game. That's it. I have 10 or so though, so started adding them to my Price Charting account, and one of them was this

35623139-item-big-SDC-JOJOBIZA-A-1.jpg

Like Afrika on PS3, I have no idea why I own it. Can't ever remember playing it. Turns out though, that due to a combination of not being a terrible game, the DCs ability to near perfectly emulate some arcade fighters, and the franchises rising popularity since the 90s, when it was really rather obscure, the worth of this thing now is kind of silly. 

The disc only has gone for £60 recently, CIB you're talking £100 - £180 (although the top of that range is NTSC rather than the PAL version you see above that I have). I almost feel obligated to sell it. My FF / JRPG stuff I don't think I'd part with, unless I had to for reasons of space or finance, cos in the simplest terms, that's the gaming stuff I like best. This though...i have no interest in. So why keep it? Just because it's a curio and worth a bit of cash, and again, that will certainly go up over time? Perhaps...but I quite like the idea of another collector getting it to take pride of place amongst their near complete Jojo's Bizarre Adventure collection. 

It'd be like me getting that English text cover version of Wild Arms 5, or Xenosaga 3...

• Like 1

I don't often go to car boots, but there was a big-ish one near the place we were staying in Kessingland, Suffolk this morning, so we popped to have a look on the way back home. 

I was surprised, but glad, to see a decent selection of video games here and there. Mostly old rubbish, but some things that did have whipping my phone out to do a bit of googling. 

I picked up a CIB Persona 4 Arena for 360, as I already have the PS3 version, and know that it's a game that's worth more than the £7 asking price (although it's Ultimax, the sequel, which can be really pricey).

At one bench I spotted a few loose GBA carts, and knowing very little about them, I had a look at the highest value PAL carts, and to my surprise, the top one sat in front of me. Metroid Zero Mission, which will sell for upwards of £80 loose for a working copy. It's for that reason that I declined the £20 asking price, I would never be able to check it, unless I bought a GBA. 

As it turns out, due to a bit of research this evening, it was a fake / bootleg. For GBA owners back in the day, was there a big fake market? Obviously PS1 games were massively pirated as all you needed really were two CD drives and a piece of software, but for a fake GBA cart...seems kinda involved. 

Unrelated, but waiting for me upon my return from our little hol was this;

JRPG_Cover_Shopify_1024x1024.jpg?v=16161

It's a really well put together book on the history of JRPGs, 650+ pages, and chronicles uh every JRPG ever made up to 2021? All of the their books are worth a look, clearly a very dedicated bunch when it comes to gaming - Bitmap Books. 

On 28/06/2021 at 03:32, hogso said:

About 18 months ago I put my flat on the market, and to make it look a bit more presentable, we rented a storage 'bin' and put a bunch of stuff in there. 

I got curious earlier in the year (see my posts in this thread from Feb on the other page), and started to add the stuff from my collection which was not in storage to Price Charting, a video game dedicated collection / price tracking site. 

We had to go to our 'bin' over the weekend to look for some party / board games which were in there for a week away in a big ol house near the seaside we're going on this week (Crossing, 20 Second Showdown, Blockbuster and Cat Lady, in case you're in to that sort of thing), and as we had no idea where they were, we started opening boxes... 

I wouldn't say I became obsessed with the value of some of my video game collection, but I must admit there is a sense of pride in having something which is worth a fair bit, coveted by others, and should only go up in value. So since February I've been buying the odd game here and there mainly for my collection. Including PS4 games that remain sealed. If you'd told me you did that a year ago, I would have said you were mad. I actually do intend to play the games I bought at some point, but until I do they'll remain sealed. I used to always unwrap them, even if I wouldn't play them, as soon as I got them. Is that weird? Anyway... 

With that in mind, I was quite giddy when I opened up some boxes with my old SNES, PS1, and Dreamcast games in. It's the latter which prompted me to make this massively inflated post. 

I could recount maybe three or four DC games I had off the top of my head before the weekend...Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2, Chu Chu Rocket, MSR and some UEFA branded football game. That's it. I have 10 or so though, so started adding them to my Price Charting account, and one of them was this

35623139-item-big-SDC-JOJOBIZA-A-1.jpg

Like Afrika on PS3, I have no idea why I own it. Can't ever remember playing it. Turns out though, that due to a combination of not being a terrible game, the DCs ability to near perfectly emulate some arcade fighters, and the franchises rising popularity since the 90s, when it was really rather obscure, the worth of this thing now is kind of silly. 

The disc only has gone for £60 recently, CIB you're talking £100 - £180 (although the top of that range is NTSC rather than the PAL version you see above that I have). I almost feel obligated to sell it. My FF / JRPG stuff I don't think I'd part with, unless I had to for reasons of space or finance, cos in the simplest terms, that's the gaming stuff I like best. This though...i have no interest in. So why keep it? Just because it's a curio and worth a bit of cash, and again, that will certainly go up over time? Perhaps...but I quite like the idea of another collector getting it to take pride of place amongst their near complete Jojo's Bizarre Adventure collection. 

It'd be like me getting that English text cover version of Wild Arms 5, or Xenosaga 3...

That JoJo game is a surprisingly deep fighter, and is still played competitively til this day. It's so good. I'd take it off your hands (even though I replaced the disc drive in my Dreamcast with an ODE) though :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

I have a few ebay alerts set up for various rarities I'd like for my collection. 

The other day a few pinged, and it's the online store for a hospice up in York. Somehow, they've got their hands on Xenosaga 3, Wild Arms 4, Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, SMT Digital Devil Saga, SMT Lucifer's Call, Rogue Galaxy, BoF Dragon Quarter and a handful of other PS2 JRPGs. Crazy, probably talking £2k for the lot, I'm kind of desperate for Xenosaga 3...wish me luck... 

• Shocked 1

On 21/08/2021 at 08:47, hogso said:

I have a few ebay alerts set up for various rarities I'd like for my collection. 

The other day a few pinged, and it's the online store for a hospice up in York. Somehow, they've got their hands on Xenosaga 3, Wild Arms 4, Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, SMT Digital Devil Saga, SMT Lucifer's Call, Rogue Galaxy, BoF Dragon Quarter and a handful of other PS2 JRPGs. Crazy, probably talking £2k for the lot, I'm kind of desperate for Xenosaga 3...wish me luck... 

That is one hell of a lot.

Persona 3 and 4 are still being sold brand new by Atlus though. I got SMT3 and Persona 5 that way. Still haven't pulled the trigger on P3FES and 4.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That is one hell of a lot.

Persona 3 and 4 are still being sold brand new by Atlus though. I got SMT3 and Persona 5 that way. Still haven't pulled the trigger on P3FES and 4.

How long ago was that? The online Atlus store closed some time ago, and there still isn't one at time of writing. For their upcoming releases (like SMT V) they just direct to the usual suspects like amazon. At least, they do do the US, for Europe and elsewhere, their online (and offline!) presence is still lacking. 

It's part of the reason a game like P3FES tracks at ~£20 for the NTSC release, and ~£120 for the PAL. 

4 hours ago, hogso said:

How long ago was that? The online Atlus store closed some time ago, and there still isn't one at time of writing. For their upcoming releases (like SMT V) they just direct to the usual suspects like amazon. At least, they do do the US, for Europe and elsewhere, their online (and offline!) presence is still lacking. 

It's part of the reason a game like P3FES tracks at ~£20 for the NTSC release, and ~£120 for the PAL. 

Still on sale on Amazon which is where I got it from. Personas 3-5, SMT3 and DDS from what I can see. Didn't think it'd be different in Europe, that's a bummer.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn’t know whether to post this or not as it could come across the wrong way but I was curious as to what everything I’ve got is worth so I’ve had my collection valued and it comes to an estimate of £8k. I think it’s worth more and I know I’d get more but the various sites I’ve used plus with the eBay sold/completed prices at the lower end all work out to around the same total.

Id definitely keep about 20% of my stuff (nostalgia and ones that mean the most) but I’m very tempted to sell it now. I should give it another a few years really and see what happens, I don’t think I’d sell tbh but im thinking in terms of that that’s my once in a lifetime trip to Japan paid for. Once I’ve completed the house move in the next few weeks and set it all up properly I’ll bore you all with some pics. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, hogso said:

What sort of things make up the bulk of that estimate @Ingram85? Actual physical games, or associated merch? 

Actual physical games mainly (a selection of sealed limited run/super rare), expensive games wise it’s a few GameCube games, a few sealed PS3 games, a few ps1 games, 3ds games, Wii U special editions.

11 different Consoles/handhelds and their various controllers and variant controllers & Amiibos.

Then the rest of the price is through sheer number of the rest of my games in the collection, around 500. 

Edited by Ingram85

I just impulse bought Final Fantasy's 7-9. The prices aren't too crazy yet, and I wanted to experience putting in the various CD's instead of emulating on my PSP as I was initially planning to do. All of a sudden I have a little PS1 collection. There's something about the black label jewel cases that just looks great on a shelf too.

• Like 1

Â