Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

It's classic Russian posturing. These missiles are that new they only went into service the other week (according to Russian announcements - no actual evidence). They are ship-launched Anti-ship missiles, they weren't testing them, they were running anti-aircraft drills.

That is supposedly the first ship to receive the missiles. It is supposedly capable of carrying 72 of them. All that has been announced by Russia is that the ship has received "A Batch". It could be 2 for all we know (or absolutely none) This missile has been rather rushed to production in the middle of sanctions. It's highly doubtful that Russia has more than a couple of dozen of these in total and they are probably the remains of the test stock built before the invasion and sanctions

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 hours ago, bickster said:

It's classic Russian posturing. These missiles are that new they only went into service the other week (according to Russian announcements - no actual evidence). They are ship-launched Anti-ship missiles, they weren't testing them, they were running anti-aircraft drills.

That is supposedly the first ship to receive the missiles. It is supposedly capable of carrying 72 of them. All that has been announced by Russia is that the ship has received "A Batch". It could be 2 for all we know (or absolutely none) This missile has been rather rushed to production in the middle of sanctions. It's highly doubtful that Russia has more than a couple of dozen of these in total and they are probably the remains of the test stock built before the invasion and sanctions

Going by history they’re likely just Kalibr missiles with new paint because the r&d department needed cash for the Christmas party. 

In all seriousness Norway is the furthest ahead on anti-ship missiles mainly due to Russia constantly sailing into their waters. It’d be a bloodbath for the northern fleet if Norway was ever attacked.

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

In fairness, we don't actually know whether the frigate even has missiles aboard. They did tests and drills, but no test firings. As you say it is probably posturing. 

I assumed he’d told the world he was sailing his big boat with big rockets on board but I may have assumed incorrectly.

Just now, Genie said:

I assumed he’d told the world he was sailing his big boat with big rockets on board but I may have assumed incorrectly.

The story did indeed come from the Russian Defence Ministry

It's just part of their look we have hypersonic missiles thing

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Can’t fire rockets from a ship on the sea bed… 

It's highly unlikely that they have any other ships equipped to launch the three missiles they've managed to make

You also have to remember, the intended audience for these hypersonic missile announcements is domestic, not international. Last time Putin and Shoigu had one of their televised state of the military propaganda adresses to the people, these missiles were a big part of the conversation. It is suspected by many that this is just the Russian version of Hitler's Wunderwaffe

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's highly unlikely that they have any other ships equipped to launch the three missiles they've managed to make

You also have to remember, the intended audience for these hypersonic missile announcements is domestic, not international. Last time Putin and Shoigu had one of their televised state of the military propaganda adresses to the people, these missiles were a big part of the conversation. It is suspected by many that this is just the Russian version of Hitler's Wunderwaffe

Let’s hope that whatever blew up nord stream 1 pipe is still lurking below the surface… It would be amazing if this ship ended up sinking 

Edited by Genie

I wonder how long Wagner can keep wasting 500+- men a day in Soledar before they lose their combat effectiveness? Word is that they are sending criminals in waves of 8 towards the lines, when these are killed they adjust and send in another wave, find a weak spot and then send in their trained fighters. Surely the supply of stupid recruited criminals isn't eternal?

Soledar is still holding, geo located footage from the Western part of the city show UAF still present with tanks, ifv's artillery and good defensive positions. I presume they're just grinding Wagner down until they can counter attack.

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

I wonder how long Wagner can keep wasting 500+- men a day in Soledar before they lose their combat effectiveness? Word is that they are sending criminals in waves of 8 towards the lines, when these are killed they adjust and send in another wave, find a weak spot and then send in their trained fighters. Surely the supply of stupid recruited criminals isn't eternal?

Soledar is still holding, geo located footage from the Western part of the city show UAF still present with tanks, ifv's artillery and good defensive positions. I presume they're just grinding Wagner down until they can counter attack.

TBH it's probably a matter of time before they do eventually take Soledar. It's obvious Ukraine are now just allowing Wagner to deplete troops and resources by slowly pulling out as they're surrounded on three sides. I don't think Wagner will be going anywhere else anyway as any attempt to advance to Bakhmut from the North will find them further in the shit and bogged down. These defence lines will keep Wagner busy for years at this rate. I think this offensive is as many are speculating and attempt to prove that Wagner are more competent than Russian regular forces. This isn't about Ukraine but Prigozhin showing off to Putin and further fracturing those within the Kremlin. 

I think this is a serious miscalculation long term for Putin. Aligning yourself with characters like Prigozhin who is only interested in his own ambitions opens yourself to betrayal, especially if he continually pisses off the military. Sooner or later someone will have had enough.

When your most trusted allies are a 5year old adult(Kadyrov) and a butcher who think convicts will win a war, you know things haven't panned out as you expected. 

General Surovikin AKA General Armageddon has been replaced as officer in command of the Russian offensive in Ukraine. He lasted 3 months. Next!

General Gerasimov replaces him. Gerasimov is the First Minister of defence and the Cheif of staff of the Army. You might have seen him on stage with Putin and Shoigu. He was thought to be highly involved in the original planning of the "Special Operation"

220px-Valery_Gerasimov_official_photo_ve

46 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Probably the only time he was honest although I don't think it was rocket science even in 94 which way Russia could go under Putin. 

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

General Surovikin AKA General Armageddon has been replaced as officer in command of the Russian offensive in Ukraine. He lasted 3 months. Next!

General Gerasimov replaces him. Gerasimov is the First Minister of defence and the Cheif of staff of the Army. You might have seen him on stage with Putin and Shoigu. He was thought to be highly involved in the original planning of the "Special Operation"

220px-Valery_Gerasimov_official_photo_ve

Looks like a lovely chap. 

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Looks like a lovely chap. 

He planned the first 'special operation'. The one where Russian armor stood still on the road to Kyiv for two weeks while being picked off. If that's anything to go by then Ukraine are at least safe from the Russian army.

Meanwhile Poland have now agreed to send Leopard 2's. Bradley's will be in situ within a week and we should start seeing the effects of this soon.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

He planned the first 'special operation'. The one where Russian armor stood still on the road to Kyiv for two weeks while being picked off. If that's anything to go by then Ukraine are at least safe from the Russian army.

Meanwhile Poland have now agreed to send Leopard 2's. Bradley's will be in situ within a week and we should start seeing the effects of this soon.

Poland are absolutely desperate to get involved as much as possible it seems. Of all the European countries, would it be fair to say they’re Ukraine’s closest Allie? I suppose Geography plays an important role in that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Poland are absolutely desperate to get involved as much as possible it seems. Of all the European countries, would it be fair to say they’re Ukraine’s closest Allie? I suppose Geography plays an important role in that. 

Together with the Baltics and other ex-republics they for sure are. Only Norway get close to the GDP spent towards aid in comparison. Finland are also itching to send 20 or so Leopards. I presume Ukraine will have a very capable Leopard battalion soon. It should scare the living hell out of Russia.

16 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Together with the Baltics and other ex-republics they for sure are. Only Norway get close to the GDP spent towards aid in comparison. Finland are also itching to send 20 or so Leopards. I presume Ukraine will have a very capable Leopard battalion soon. It should scare the living hell out of Russia.

Can I ask what a leopard does?! Long range missiles? I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to war!

Â