Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well at least they still seem keen on building the stand, which is the main point but seems a shame the Villa Live idea has gone out of the window. Might be a casualty of the inflation costs.

But it hasn’t, it’s just being moved to a building already in situ and to be repurposed rather than needlessly demolished… 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think the Villa Live is just being kicked down the road for now with elements done on the cheap in the new stand and existing buildings.

Not ideal but they may revisit it in a couple of year if we continue to be successful and/or if the economic situation improves and building costs equalise.

I agree though, this was a big part of the transport mitigation plan with people arriving earlier and leaving later.

I suspect the bulk of the station money will come from central Government if we are successful in getting the Euros.

It’s literally just moving down the road into a repurposed building … But yeah let’s just moan and make unsubstantiated comments based on nothing but personal insecurity about the club… 

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

All adds to the general confusion about what is going on off the pitch. Sounds like this would be a new application. The original, original plan was for all of this to be demolished even before they talked about a new north stand. It is a glorified shed and is not fit for purpose, no matter how much refurbishment they are thinking about. 

Why is it that we are finally looking the business on the pitch, we are all over the shop of  it yet again? SIgh.

It’s literally perfect for purpose, a food-hall full of street food vendors and bars… Villa Live was just a waste of money which design was poor and low grade muncipal building design 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

It’s literally just moving down the road into a repurposed building … But yeah let’s just moan and make unsubstantiated comments based on nothing but personal insecurity about the club… 

Please explain where I have moaned and made unsubstantiated comments? 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Villa Live was just a waste of money which design was poor and low grade muncipal building design 

And I'm accused of making unsubstantiated comments? How was this a low grade muncipal design? 

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It just seems a bit Doug-esque penny-pinching.  In the grand scheme of things it is probably a saving one half decent signing for a potential facility that could have been used by Villa fans and the local community for years to come.

FFS did you read the article ? It’s literally repurposing a building to service fans and local community - geez 

43 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I was never convinced by Villa Live but with it being such a big investment you’d have thought enough research and due diligence would have been undertaken that it should just be ready to roll with

I'll post here somethings I've written else.  I think Villa Live would have been well researched and well used:

Villa Park is incredibly busy outside of matchday. All sorts of conferences, company away days, meetings, dinners, lunches, weddings, company product launches. Anyone who hasn't been around there midweek would be amazed.

Villa live would add a whole new dimension to that which much more scope for different event's.

Night time? Back in the day of the now gone Aston Villa Leisure Centre they used to have music concerts and movie nights there. I've been there to see 2 bands and one cinema night. If things are on people will go.

Google it, you will see Deacon Blue played there in 1993. The city is lacking badly in those size of venues.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Please explain where I have moaned and made unsubstantiated comments? 

I think the Villa Live is just being kicked down the road for now with elements done on the cheap in the new stand and existing buildings

where’s the proof that the club are planning to anything on the cheap in the new stand and existing buildings ? 

And I'm accused of making unsubstantiated comments? How was this a low grade muncipal design? 

Look at the design of Villa Live and then look at low grade modern municipal buildings … 

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm 74 and I feel the same. Villa Park is my spiritual home.

Completely agree. It would be a very sad day if VP is demolished 

Villa live would add a whole new dimension to that which much more scope for different event's.

It’s **** literally just moving into an already in situ building … why waste millions on a new building when a perfectly good one can be repurposed ? 

Just now, thabucks said:

It’s **** literally just moving into an already in situ building … why waste millions on a new building when a perfectly good one can be repurposed ? 

Because the current building is really not fit for the intended purpose. The leaflet shown earlier specifically states that their vision for Villa Live remains the same and planning permission remains for them to deliver this in future. 

So they're clearly doing a temporary fix in the existing buildings which will obviously be a lot cheaper in the short run then aim to do the full job later. 

The design? I myself compared the early images to a 1970s leisure centre but the more detailed images looked quality to me with some decent cladding. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Because the current building is really not fit for the intended purpose. The leaflet shown earlier specifically states that their vision for Villa Live remains the same and planning permission remains for them to deliver this in future. 

So they're clearly doing a temporary fix in the existing buildings which will obviously be a lot cheaper in the short run then aim to do the full job later. 

The design? I myself compared the early images to a 1970s leisure centre but the more detailed images looked quality to me with some decent cladding. 

The stand and the live building to me look to be about space and light, big open spaces naturally lit making it very comfortable to be in there even if it's full of people

Repurposing the old building will not achieve that

I'm boring in that the most interesting thing to me about the whole project on the section drawings is the entrance to the stand where it was like a ceiling about 10m high and in front of curtain walling, there's no space like that anywhere else in the ground or in many grounds I can remember apart from bits of Wembley

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The stand and the live building to me look to be about space and light, big open spaces naturally lit making it very comfortable to be in there even if it's full of people

Repurposing the old building will not achieve that

I'm boring in that the most interesting thing to me about the whole project on the section drawings is the entrance to the stand where it was like a ceiling about 10m high and in front of curtain walling, there's no space like that anywhere else in the ground or in many grounds I can remember apart from bits of Wembley

Yes, anyone whose been to Boxpark will totally understand the concept and understand that doing something in the existing buildings is just not going to deliver that in any shape or form.

The can have live music, exhibitions and I would expect a big push into the Asian wedding market with the proposed building. You're not going to get that in a refurbished victorian building. 

I've got a suspicion that they will make the space for the shop to move into the North Stand by leaving the dressing rooms in the Trinity Road. If you look at the footprint for 2 dressing rooms, referee areas, physio rooms it's a big area and easy big enough for a club shop. 

If they did it cleverly enough they could convert it into the new dressing rooms later if they moved the shop to a future Villa Live.  Always seemed a strange thing moving the dressing rooms to me though, ours are probably already better than most clubs.  I couldn't see they were installing restaurants at the side of the tunnel which seems the big corporate trend at the moment and was something I was expecting. 

Maybe they've got plans for the area in The Trinity where the existing dressing rooms are. 

Not ideal is it really. Seems like a lot of the changes we were looking forward to etc have all been scrapped - the new badge idea not appearing to be a permanent thing, it’s not even being used on marketing/promotional stuff… stadium development plans now being ‘amended’…. No signings imminent (that have cost money).. Sounds like cost cutting to me! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

1- The owners signed it off so must have been happy with the original plan?

2 - The new CEO is ripping up most of Purslow's work which is odd.

3 - Unless its all to do with the train station and no progress there, and the full plan can't happen because of that and this is the best compromise 

4 - Building costs have got to a point where something had to be value engineered out to cut costs, villa live was deemed not worth it

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Is it a coincidence that these changes have been announced on the same day the council announces it has a £650 debt and it’s going to mean massive funding cuts? No new station. I doubt we will be a Euros venue now.

Surely we can afford to pay a £650 debt for them… that’s less than one of this seasons shirts… 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Not ideal is it really. Seems like a lot of the changes we were looking forward to etc have all been scrapped - the new badge idea not appearing to be a permanent thing, it’s not even being used on marketing/promotional stuff… stadium development plans now being ‘amended’…. No signings imminent (that have cost money).. Sounds like cost cutting to me! 

Or maybe after employing a marketing expert who has a track record of achieving a massive success of branding of a sports franchise, they actually take his advice. Certain people are just perpetually negative towards the club they supposedly support.

Â