England v Holland

andykeenan

21 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Stones played some great balls though, involved in Vardys goal and almost an assist to the shite Walcott. He slipped ffs

He's a CB though not a number 10. I'd much rather my defenders contribute next to nothing in attack than concede chances by over-playing, which he has a habit of doing.

51 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Nostradamus strikes again.

Seriously though, my excitement over our new attacking breed is massively tempered by the clowns we have at the back. You ain't winning the Euros with Smalling, Stones, Rose and Jagielka......

I think England can get away with it if Woy plays Dier in front to protect the CBs, someone in midfield who is naturally defensively minded. It also allows our full backs (probably Clyne and Rose) to offer a threat further up the field where their defensive weaknesses don't get constantly found out. I think we missed Dier massively tonight....

I'd start the first game with the same team as v Germany, but Hart in for Butland, and maybe Vardy in for Lallana.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's because he was always our key player and played in the same position most of the time.  Even then I'd get frustrated by the number of times he'd cross the ball straight at the arse of the defender two yards in front of him, I think his limitations get shown up at this level.

Yes I agree he's a good honest allround football but is lacking that bit of quality for international level. Squad player but not a starter for me.

44 minutes ago, penguin said:

He's a CB though not a number 10. I'd much rather my defenders contribute next to nothing in attack than concede chances by over-playing, which he has a habit of doing.

Thats my problem with Stones. I think he's too much of a liability to be a starter. I imagine it will be Cahill and Smalling

Cahill ain't great though, gets caught under the ball for crosses a lot.

That's the achilles heel of a Woy England team, it gives away too many cheap goals against decent attacks. Weird given how organised his club sides were but guess that's the price of playing a more expansive and open game.

England will be fun to watch in the summer at least.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Stones needs to learn but unfortunately he isn't going to get that under Martinez.

I dont think Stones is brilliant but playing for Martinez will only highlight his weaknesses. A season or two with Moyes would have been more beneficial than a career under Martinez

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes I agree he's a good honest allround football but is lacking that bit of quality for international level. Squad player but not a starter for me.

Thing is if he's in the squad then you're always tempted just to throw him in somewhere.  I just wouldn't bother having him in the squad tbh.

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

agree there'll be huge money spent on him, very much with english tax put on it

21 year old CB, you're paying for the potential, i personally think varane, laporte, marquinhos are ahead of him, hes ahead of rugani, zouma, sule, stark, rudiger, ginter, romagnoli, tah, jedvaj

my points are, there are a lot of really decent looking CBs coming through at the moment, too many for someone to pay that much for stones IMO and secondly, england getting one high potential CB, germany have 3/4 high potential ones coming through at the same time, italy have got a couple

stones gets hyped to death because he's different and exciting but you put him in the european mix and he's lost in the mire IMO not that much better than anyone else's prospects 

GTFO.

Touted as the next Nesta, and after watching him play quite a lot this season, you can see where they're coming from.

He's got serious potential.  He will be brilliant.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Thing is if he's in the squad then you're always tempted just to throw him in somewhere.  I just wouldn't bother having him in the squad tbh.

I don't think Hodgson was impressed yesterday but hes a good playing to come on when a goal up late on