Xela

Hi everyone

Booked a last minute break in Oslo next weekend.

Tips? Looking for the highlights. Only really going to have the Saturday to sight see. Also, best pubs, bars and eateries? Any recommendations gratefully received. 

Haven't booked the hotel yet either so any advice on the best area to stay also appreciated 

Can't remember where I stayed but it was a nice boutique type hotel  complete with I-Mac in the rooms and quite reasonable and near the centre

when you arrive take the airport express into Oslo it's fairly straight forward and brings you right to the centre

in terms of highlights ... Start at the royal palace and then take a slow walk down the "main"  Street and you'll hit the parliament building ... Then head off to the right and you'll hit the harbour.

Take a ferry to the island (have a look at the ski jump on your way )and go see the Viking ships , then sorta follow the road and  walk 10 15 mins and you hit the rather excellent Kon Tiki exhibition ... You can catch the ferry back from just outside when you are done .... When you get back to harbour you'll see the Nobel museum which is worth a look as it usually houses a temporary exhibition  ( it was Afghanistan when I was there very good )... And finally if you've timed it right you can get a bus out to the art museum and see The Scream

i seem to recall I bought an Oslo pass at the harbour that covered the ferry , bus and entry to most of the museums 

im sure there is more but that was how I spent a day 

there were various bars in a pedestrian area near where I got off the airport train  but I only hit a few for a couple of drinks as I had a full on day the next morning (see above) ... Yeah a beer is also expensive

i really liked Oslo so you should have a great time 

Thanks folks.

Don't have enough time there for side trips, however lovely Bergen looks :)

Looking forward to it, despite the beer prices! 

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

So ill bunp this up as i think i might be going. Obviously  the last post was from 2015 has anyone been more rechtly or got tips?

Am thinking of doing either oslo or tromso for a couple nights but oslo seems more likely

Went to Oslo 5 years ago and well its as expensive as its hyped up to be. I went in the summer and it was great weather and a few nice parks can walk around. Its a good city but really small as I seen nearly everything I wanted in less than 2 days

8 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Avoid @El Zen is my best advice :)

That much is obvious! 

Welcome to the best city in the world, @Demitri_C. Let me know when you’re thinking of going and what kind of stuff you’re interested in doing/seeing and I’ll be happy to help :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Went to Oslo 5 years ago and well its as expensive as its hyped up to be. I went in the summer and it was great weather and a few nice parks can walk around. Its a good city but really small as I seen nearly everything I wanted in less than 2 days

thanks. im thinking to go 3 nights so this could hit the spot thinking april time when there is abit more daytime.

24 minutes ago, El Zen said:

That much is obvious! 

Welcome to the best city in the world, @Demitri_C. Let me know when you’re thinking of going and what kind of stuff you’re interested in doing/seeing and I’ll be happy to help :) 

Thank you mate appreciate it...i think 😆

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

thanks. im thinking to go 3 nights so this could hit the spot thinking april time when there is abit more daytime.

Thank you mate appreciate it...i think 😆

I definitely recommend going between April and September when it’s not too cold. March and October can be okay, but more risky. Spring, summer and early autumn are all beautiful in Oslo. 

Â