Midweek football 28 September/1October

andykeenan

It's hilarious that clubs like Liverpool are treating it with arrogant contempt. They're not helping England's UEFA co-efficient by desperately trying to get themselves bombed out in the early stages. This will have a knock on effect with the fourth place Champions League spot they so desperately want...it will no longer exist by 2017/18.

Napoli, Fiorentina and Lazio all won last night, so I hope that means they're taking it seriously because it's the Italians who are very close to nicking that extra CL place from the Premier League.

Sion lost to the bottom club at home saturday. The Premier League is grossly overrated.

I'm not sure overrating the prem is the problem, it's that english clubs clearly can't motivate themselves for the Europa league.

Liverpool would obviously have easily beaten Sion if they actually gave a shit.about the tournament.

that the same for the Champions League ;)

Porto drew with 2nd bottom of portuguese league last weekend yet no problem beating Chelsea :P

Sion lost to the bottom club at home saturday. The Premier League is grossly overrated.

I'm not sure overrating the prem is the problem, it's that english clubs clearly can't motivate themselves for the Europa league.

Liverpool would obviously have easily beaten Sion if they actually gave a shit.about the tournament.

that the same for the Champions League ;)

Porto drew with 2nd bottom of portuguese league last weekend yet no problem beating Chelsea :P

I was talking about the Europa league though. I wasn't saying the Prem wasn't overrated, just that in this scenario I think the problem is probably more a lack of motivation

Yes but the results over the last few years in the champions league haven't been great. We no longer have the best players in their prime in the world. Over the last few years  3 world class players in Ronaldo, Bale and Suarez lost to Spain. We get Pedro who was a reserve at Barcelona and Sanchez who is very good but wouldn't have been a first team player at Barcelona.  Hazard not great for Belgium, Messi without the end product. Perhaps Aguero is the only truly world class player left we have. The media get excited by the signing of schweinsteiger but he's in his 30s.  Its the richest and biggest rip-off league for fans in the world. I really think the quality is worse than ever this year. and it really bugs me when people call Rooney world class. If he played for Barcelona or Real Madrid he'd be laughed at.

Edited by PaulC

See post above.

I agree the prem is overrated, I was talking about this particular situation.

Yes and thats annoying because teams had much smaller squads in the 70s and 80s and nobody complained about playing 2 games a week. Theres too much money in the Premier League.

See post above.

Yes and thats annoying because teams had much smaller squads in the 70s and 80s and nobody complained about playing 2 games a week. Theres too much money in the Premier League.

The 2 games a week and tiredness thing is a different issue. You can't compare it to the 70s and 80s because everybody had smaller squads. Players still got tired, but everybody got tired so it didn't matter as much.

Rotation is necessary. But it doesn't have to equate to using a completely reserve team in one game.

See post above.

The 2 games a week and tiredness thing is a different issue. You can't compare it to the 70s and 80s because everybody had smaller squads. Players still got tired, but everybody got tired so it didn't matter as much.

Rotation is necessary. But it doesn't have to equate to using a completely reserve team in one game.

Yes Stevo but its the attitude thing these days compared to those days. Because of the money in the Premier League thats all the clubs seems to care about. Anyway if you are talking about the Liverpool team that played yesterday,Mignolet, Can, Clyne, Allen, Ibe, Lallana and Ings are all first team players. Hardly a reserve team.

You're getting yourself mixed up here.

My original point wasn't about rotation or resting players. it was about motivation.

You brought rotation and resting into the discussion (i specifically said it was a different issue)

Â