Ratings and Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

I've got nothing against gallows humour, I just think it's a pity that legends of the club who handled the last two weeks of their stay badly get routinely booed and Milner gets the treatment of someone who is born and bred Villa. A warm round of applause would have been enough surely?

It'd be like City fans telling us they love Lescott more than we do. I'd be confused as to why they care - this is a player that played a hundred games, he was good for us yes, but he's hardly a Villa man, he's a Leeds fan that played less games for us than Nigel Reo Coker.

Edited by OutByEaster?

I hate it when men use the term "hysteria." THere's always a sexist implication behind it. Just STFU.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says there was a "hysteria around the club" in the build-up to their 3-2 Premier League victory over Aston Villa.

Pressure had been growing on Rodgers after his side failed to win in 90 minutes in their past six games.

He told BBC Sport: "There's a hysteria around the club. We've lost fewer games than Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal in all competitions - two.

"It's a huge club, a worldwide, iconic club, so the scrutiny on it is huge."

He added: "It doesn't affect us. We're working hard and trying to integrate players back into the team. We have some top players to come back in.

Also, the "worldwide" thing is overstated. 

I've never heard it with a sexist implication. Ever.

Like Stefan, I've never heard it used in a sexist way.

It used to be believed that the womb moves around in the body causing emotional outbursts. So the Greeks used the same word for both.

And your point is?

I'm disagreeing with what you're saying.

I hate when people create something to be offended by.

Hey ho, it's why we're all different I guess.

Like Stefan, I've never heard it used in a sexist way.

It used to be believed that the womb moves around in the body causing emotional outbursts. So the Greeks used the same word for both.

It has a long, hoary history of being linked with sexist verbal and written attacks on women.  I'm not surprised it would strike you and Stefan as odd.

The only thing Rodgers is guilty of is not knowing the origin of every single word in the English language, something we're all guilty of. Even then his use of it is not in a sexist way.

For example I use the word diabolical a lot but there is nothing in my day to day life that is literally the work of satan. I deserve a slap on the wrist.

So how was what Rodgers said a sexist comment

It's a word with a long history of use in putting women down. It's loaded. You can research that, Limpid! It would take you a few seconds on Google.

Rodgers says, "Sometimes we haven't [even] lost games and the hysteria around it is pretty clear. There is maybe something else going on from behind." He goes on to pander to Anfield's fans and players. The implication -- as I read it, not THE truth, not your truth, not Stefan's truth, evidently -- is that the naysayers are not real men but somehow wussified whiners. And yeah, I don't like that.

So how was what Rodgers said a sexist comment

It's a word with a long history of use in putting women down. It's loaded. You can research that, Limpid! It would take you a few seconds on Google.

Rodgers says, "Sometimes we haven't [even] lost games and the hysteria around it is pretty clear. There is maybe something else going on from behind." He goes on to pander to Anfield's fans and players. The implication -- as I read it, not THE truth, not your truth, not Stefan's truth, evidently -- is that the naysayers are not real men but somehow wussified whiners. And yeah, I don't like that.

You really are getting offended by nothing.

It's sexist because others have used it in a sexist way? You are attributing something to him which simply isn't there.

• Like 1

It's sexist because others have used it in a sexist way? You are attributing something to him which simply isn't there.

I disagree. I think men (and women, too) should be careful about using that term. You can't just shear away the history and context because it inconveniences you to have think about the history of sexism. And that includes me. OTOH, I use the term "hysterical" for funny, so it's not a black and white matter. 

Just as an aside, can I ask why you're so interested in this? I'm puzzled that this interests you. What gives?

More background ...

Let's start with etymology. Hysterical. It's a word with a very female-baiting history, coming from the Latin hystericus ("of the womb"). This was a condition thought to be exclusive to women – sending them uncontrollably and neurotically insane owing to a dysfunction of the uterus (the removal of which is still called a hysterectomy). Here's another: loony. Coming from lunacy – a monthly periodic insanity, believed to be triggered by the moon's cycle (remind you of anything?). These etymologies have cemented a polarisation of the female and male mental states: men being historically associated with rationality, straightforwardness and logic; women with unpredictable emotions, outbursts and madness.

Edited by Plastic Man

I disagree. I think men (and women, too) should be careful about using that term. You can't just shear away the history and context because it inconveniences you to have think about the history of sexism. And that includes me. OTOH, I use the term "hysterical" for funny, so it's not a black and white matter. 

There's no need to be careful using that term. It doesn't have a special meaning unless the reader is trying to be offended on someone else's behalf.

Just as an aside, can I ask why you're so interested in this? I'm puzzled that this interests you. What gives?

I'm not "so interested" in it. I'm correcting your apparently unfounded allegation of sexism.

More background ...

Nice link. The Guardian couldn't be bothered to look in a dictionary. It's from Greek not Latin. And then to conflate Lunar with menstrual cycles. Laughable.

• Like 1

There's no need to be careful using that term. It doesn't have a special meaning unless the reader is trying to be offended on someone else's behalf.

I'm not "so interested" in it. I'm correcting your apparently unfounded allegation of sexism.

More background ...

Nice link. The Guardian couldn't be bothered to look in a dictionary. It's from Greek not Latin. And then to conflate Lunar with menstrual cycles. Laughable.

With respect, you didn't "correct" a thing, at least not in my mind. And it's not unfounded, although what you say I said isn't exactly what I said.

"Trying to be offended." I don't agree with that assessment. I just think our values are vastly different in these matters. Agree to disagree.

And "It's from Greek not Latin." Surely you know that it can "from" both.

Â