PC Gaming

kidlewis

£620. If it keeps me going for anything close to what I got from my 580 (RIP), I'd consider that decent value for money. I'd consider holding out for the 1080ti with your card, HMB2 isn't far away. I was tempted to hold out, but I'm at the point where I'm having to not buy some new games now.

The downside, of course, is that this thing can push out 4k at a decent framerate, so now I've got my eye on a 4k monitor as well, there are some decent 4k IPS monitors around for just north of £300 though.

And, then...I'm still rocking a 2500k. I think that's fine for now, it';s the GPU bottlenecking me, but it won't last forever.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

@Davkaus Damn man!! That card looks so good and it's gonna be one hell of a beast. The GTX 1080 is the first card that can play almost any game out now at 4K60 with settings at High, I'm not much of a fan of 4K but damn that's a sweet feature to boast for any GPU. I gotta say if I didn't already have a very very good factory OC'd GTX 980Ti running a custom PCB I'd have bought one of these beasts. Enjoy the card my friend! Gaming is gonna feel so freakin' good again seeing as you're coming from a GTX 580.. :D

Will probably get the 1070 when it comes out and sell my 970. Hopefully shouldn't cost me much more than £100 net and should give quite the jump in frame rates.

9 hours ago, will87 said:

Will probably get the 1070 when it comes out and sell my 970. Hopefully shouldn't cost me much more than £100 net and should give quite the jump in frame rates.

The 1070 is a beast. It's also absurdly cheap for the power of it. I bought my 980Ti for £640 last year and the 1070 is between 5-10% more powerful than it for like £320 or something like that. You'll see games like The Division go from 60FPS on High to 80-90FPS on Ultra, DOOM go from 60FPS on Ultra to around 120+FPS on Ultra Nightmare settings it's gonna be a beast.

I'm torn now.

When it was between the 1080 and the 1070, I was going for the 1080 all day long. The 1070 is too good to waste on 1080p 60hz, so I was tempted to go balls to the wall and get a VR headset and maybe a 4k monitor with the GTX 1080.

Today has changed everything, AMD have announced their new rx480 card. The performance is on par with the GTX980 (about 75-80% of the performance of the 1070), but the price is $200, compared to $380 for the 1070 and $silly for the 1080...If their numbers are right and it's the same performance as a 980, nothing is going to work that too hard at 1920*1080 60fps.

It seems a good idea to grab one of those to tide me over for a couple of years until 4k monitors and cards powerful enough to drive them drop to more sensible prices.

Edited by Davkaus

Every time this thread gets bumped it reminds me that my PC is very much like Aston Villa; pretty good in 2010 but utterly shite now. :(

• Like 2

Mine's not far off. I built mine in 2011 and it was incredible then. Not so much anymore. I spent about £1000 on it and considering how long it's been kicking on for, I think I got value for money from that and I was ready to plonk down the same amount again, until today.

If this AMD card is close to as good as promised, for (I'm guessing UK prices) about £160 you'll be able to play games at highest settings again.

CPUs haven't moved on  a huge amount, I'm guessing it'll be entirely your GPU bottlenecking you, it certainly is for me.

Edited by Davkaus

CPU really, it's a Core2 Duo.  Great chip in it's day but it's five generations old now.  I'll build a new rig one day but it's so far down the list of things I could spend a few hundred quid on that it's still going to be a while.  I'm quite happy with the PS4 for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one connected to my TV, I haven't used it a huge amount, but it works well. It doesn't matter how good your internet connection is, it just uses the LAN, there's no internet traffic. I did try it over wifi and the results were fairly poor, quite a bit of stuttering, they recommend using an ethernet cable, and for good reason. If you can plug it in rather than using wifi, it's going to have 100mbps at least, maybe 1gbps depending on how new your router is, even if your internet connection is crap.

It does need you to set your PC to big picture mode before it'll run any games, which means if I'm on the sofa and want to play a PC game, I have to walk upstairs, put Steam in big picture mode, then go back downstairs to play...by which point I've already decided to just stay upstairs and play on my PC :P 

Edited by Davkaus

12 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

How does it work through LAN though? My PC is upstairs wireless to my router in the lounge, which I'd have my Steam Link connected to via Ethenet? 

3 hours ago, limpid said:

May have to invest in one of these. I've had no Internet problems for over a decade until recently, so I'm pretty clueless to this kind of technology. Have you had experience with these yourself? Do you get the same speeds using them as you would with a router directly? 

@Davkaus how is the latency on the Steam Link over LAN? Even a slight bit of input lag will put me off it as I experienced with Rocket League recently. 

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

May have to invest in one of these. I've had no Internet problems for over a decade until recently, so I'm pretty clueless to this kind of technology. Have you had experience with these yourself? Do you get the same speeds using them as you would with a router directly? 

@Davkaus how is the latency on the Steam Link over LAN? Even a slight bit of input lag will put me off it as I experienced with Rocket League recently. 

I use four of them. IIRC they have their own thread in the tech room :) They work like ethernet without running cables.

I have my wifi AP on one of these in the middle of the house and when the network is quiet I get pings around 6ms to the internet router.

15 minutes ago, limpid said:

I use four of them. IIRC they have their own thread in the tech room :) They work like ethernet without running cables.

I have my wifi AP on one of these in the middle of the house and when the network is quiet I get pings around 6ms to the internet router.

Would one of these suffice for what I wanted to do with the Steam Link? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084Y9N3O?tag=hotukdeals03-21

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Steam Link and PowerLine set up today. Surprised at how flawless it is, no input lag even on Rocket League and the the picture is decent enough. Need to find a way to be able to use my DS4 wireless otherwise I'll have to get a Steam Controller. 

Edit : just read the Steam Link has Bluetooth so I can use it wireless! Loving this

Edited by villarule123

Last day of the Steam sale, what have people picked up so far?

I've just bought AC Black Flag, Pillars of Eternity (+ expansions) Rayman Legends, and Shadowrun Dragonfall director's cut. Not a bad haul. I picked up Undertale a few days ago, but I'm not that impressed with it so far.

Quite a lot more on my wishlist, including Xcom2, Doom, Fallout 4, but I'm going to wait for bigger discounts on those, I think.

Nice haul! Some absolutely stellar games there :D

This is the first Steam sale that I have actively ignored largely because the sale page refreshes and 80% of it has the tag "In Library" so I've largely bought every game that interests me currently, but the other reason is that I have a 600+ game backlog of games across Xbox One, PS4, Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net and GOG which will never get tackled if I buy another 10-20 games in this sale. 

I went 2-3 sales without buying anything, which is how I still don't have Shadowrun. :D 

I just added the Talos Principle to the list as well. Should tide me over until Christmas, especially with Overwatch on the go. I'm really, really tempted by Doom, but I can't justify £23 for a 10 hour campaign. Steam sales have made me so stingy. 

600 games is just silly. I thought I was bad, mine is at about 80 of games I've not even downloaded yet. I should stop just playing Rocket League and Overwatch all weekend. 

Edited by Davkaus

Â