Paul Lambert

limpid

The stat is that we score 1 goal per 14.3 shots inside the box, we are bottom of that table.  Burnley are second from bottom with 1 goal per 7.4 shots inside the box.  Chelsea are top with 1 goal per 3.4 shots inside the box.  The stat is relevant in the sense that it shows we are way behind everyone else in the league for taking our chances.

Can you provide a link that shows us these stats? :detect:

• Like 1

Until something changes at the club (the manager would be a start) then of course the same old things are going to be said. The team plays in the same shit way with the same shit results, week after week, It's kind of funny though, that you're attacking posters on here for repeating the same lines, yet support a manager who serves up dross, week after week, then parrots the same nonsense almost word for word in the most-match interviews.

You're not a complete idiot, so why is it that you seem to imagine that every kick of the ball has the manager's signature on it?

The TEAM have been serving up dross. Some think the reason is all down to the manager, some don't.

It's a tiny (but important) bit of extra thinking to realise that some things can actually happen despite the manager and not because of him.

You're not entirely stupid, so perhaps you could explain why we should stick with a manager who hasn't improved the team at all in 3 years?

Go back through the whole thread and its been explained. Why do you need it explaining again?

• Like 1

Using any set of money to prove a point is just daft IMO. Guzan being signed on a free doesn't make him bad, Gill being signed for cheap doesn't mean he will have less impact on games that a more expensive player.

I don't need to look at fees and wages to know the players we have could and should be playing better as individuals and a team. The reason they're not is not because of the amount they're paid each week.

Yeah, it's daft to use money to prove a point. It's not like the better players in World football cost more money or anything. :detect:
Soldado cost £30 million and benteke cost £7 million. Which player is better?

Bale cost £95m and Bowery cost £600K. Which player is better?

(finding the odd example that bucks a trend doesn't make your argument valid)

This again is backing up my point. There's comparisons like yours and there's comparisons like mine. My point point was that focusing on one aspect of spending being net, gross, wages, fees etc.. To just prove your point is daft. There's a lot more to take into account than just one set of figures you choose to support your argument.

No it doesnt back your point

On average more expensive players are better - this is not really in debate

Who said they're not?

But it's stupid to look at our team as a set of figures and then use that to defend them if they are poor.  I think that's completely stupid if i'm honest.  Lambert spent roughly 7/8 million pounds on our entire defensive unit of Guzan, Hutton, Clark, Okore and Cissokho and yet they are a very good defensive unit.  I'm judging them on what I see them do with my own eyes not what they cost in fees.  And like I said in my original post that you obviously disagree with, I don't need to look at fees and wages to know the players we have could and should be playing better as individuals and a team. The reason they're not is not because of the amount they're paid each week. 

If Paul Lambert can see where it's going wrong way has he made no attempt to change it. He has broken just about every bad record there is to break. Anyone in here defending him are either on a wind up or a bit spesh. He is terrible,dour uninspiring and actually a liar as well. The day he leaves this once great club will be the day I start to believe again

Looking further at our failure to score:

Season 12/13: 47 goals - 10 teams in the premier league scored more than us.

Season 13/14: 39 goals - 15 teams in the premier league scored more than us.

Season 14/15 11 goals - 19 teams in the premier league scored more than us.

This suggests a problem that has been getting worse season after season with the manager unsure or incapable on how to change that. The fact that he is aware of the problem and has, so far, failed to rectify it is even more of a worry.

Anyway while the stats are flowing!

Shots per game:

Lowest 3 teams: Sunderland 10.5, Villa 10.5 & Hull 10.2

Shots on target per game:

Lowest 3 teams: Burnley 3.2, Hull 2.9 & Villa 2.7

So we don't have many shots and when we do they're not normally on target!

• Like 1

This suggests a problem that has been getting worse season after season with the manager unsure or incapable on how to change that. The fact that he is aware of the problem and has, so far, failed to rectify it is even more of a worry.

Shots per game:

It is when you look at that and don't take into account any other factors as to why. Such as you're main striker being injured and obviously struggling after a bad injury. Also to add to this your back up striker being injured.

Someone correct me if my maths is wrong.

We average 10 shots a game and according to who scored 61% of our shots are in the area.  So does that mean we average around 6 shots in the area every game?  And those could well be shots from tight angles, shots closed down by defenders or headers from corners.  We simply do not create enough good chances for any of our strikers to be scoring on a regular basis.

Shots per game:

It is when you look at that and don't take into account any other factors as to why. Such as you're main striker being injured and obviously struggling after a bad injury. Also to add to this your back up striker being injured.

Come on we can't keep using the same excuses time and time again when the situation just keeps getting worse.

If Paul Lambert can see where it's going wrong way has he made no attempt to change it. He has broken just about every bad record there is to break. Anyone in here defending him are either on a wind up or a bit spesh. He is terrible,dour uninspiring and actually a liar as well. The day he leaves this once great club will be the day I start to believe again

I'm not on a wind up so does that make me a bit spesh? Resorted to personal insults I see.

Shots per game:

Come on we can't keep using the same excuses time and time again when the situation just keeps getting worse.

You can when they're hugely relevant. Let's see how Swansea do from now on with their shots and goal stats.

• Like 2

Are Aston Villa the only team that has injuries?

I didn't say that but name me another team that has had their 1st and 2nd choice strikers for a total of 50 odd games?

Like I'm going to trawl through every team looking!

Injuries are part and parcel of the game.

The wider point as the stats show is we don't shoot enough (even with Benteke in the team).

If you don't buy a ticket you don't win the lottery!

The stat is that we score 1 goal per 14.3 shots inside the box, we are bottom of that table.  Burnley are second from bottom with 1 goal per 7.4 shots inside the box.  Chelsea are top with 1 goal per 3.4 shots inside the box.  The stat is relevant in the sense that it shows we are way behind everyone else in the league for taking our chances.

B75TyDwIUAAikW9.jpg

Just goes to show that we're an in form Benteke away from being a half decent side. 

B75TyDwIUAAikW9.jpg

Just goes to show that we're an in form Benteke away from being a half decent side. 

yes, if you never watched us and stared at a stat sheet which doesn't show anything close the the full picture.

In reality there are a few more issues than benteke being out of form

Are Aston Villa the only team that has injuries?

I didn't say that but name me another team that has had their 1st and 2nd choice strikers for a total of 50 odd games?

Like I'm going to trawl through every team looking!

Injuries are part and parcel of the game.

The wider point as the stats show is we don't shoot enough (even with Benteke in the team).

If you don't buy a ticket you don't win the lottery!

Thought as much.

B75TyDwIUAAikW9.jpg

Yep just did some totting up and Benteke has had 17 shots since his last league goal.

Right so now the shift of blame is moving onto Benteke, if he does start scoring and we improve I assume the people saying the forwards have let us down will be congratulating benteke and will give little credit to the manager? I can't imagine that happening somehow.

Â