Paul Lambert

limpid

Stats do show the whole picture when it comes to creating chances. Most games are won by the teams that make the most chances. Yes there are exceptions, but in reality those stats show how creative and attacking the team is.

Throughout most of this season we have been well behind in those stats. Basically, Lambert can't get the player that he bought to perform to a level where we can outplay many of the teams in the league.

We have a greater chance against teams higher than us because they expect to beat us. They push forward, and for the best part take us lightly and that's when we get some joy. Teams around us stick to the same game plan and beat us because they are better prepared. That is where Lambert has let us down.  He is very low when it comes to tactics, inspiring players, and making subs.

How could he put Bowery on today? When was the last time that guy scored at any level? Other managers would have been brave enough to throw the youngster on who is at least scoring goals, and knows where the net is.

No they don't. Stats don't always show when a team has come out with a specific gameplan and it has worked (e.g. at Southampton).

There is absolutely no doubt that without the injuries to Okore, Kozak and Benteke, we would be higher. No doubt. That said, I have absolutely no defence for Paul Lambert. Maintained the 'meh' feeling I had under Mcleish.

Still where I was the other week: Couldnt give a monkeys whether he stays or go's tbh.

Lambert knows a hell of a lot more about football than all of us put together and he has been trying to address this for newly two years. He is failing miserably.

Does he really? Really? He got a leg up in management because he was a former player.

Most people involved in football, including managers, who appear on shows in which they claim to 'analyse' matches come across as not particularly knowledgeable or insightful.

It'll never happen as there's obviously a huge amount of money at stake but I suspect if you took the average bloke off the street who is a football enthusiast and put him in charge of a midtable Premier League club with a modest budget, they wouldn't do much worse than most of the managers currently in the league. It's jobs for the boys, and even when they fail (repeatedly) they still get top jobs.

This is of course going a bit off topic, the point I'm really making is I'm not convinced that Lambert is some sort of oracle with plans beyond the understanding of mere fans just because he's currently got the Villa gig.

Totally agree. I went through my UEFA A license, but would never have a chance in the UK. That's why I went to live in the US, so I could still earn a living coaching.

Stats do show the whole picture when it comes to creating chances. Most games are won by the teams that make the most chances. Yes there are exceptions, but in reality those stats show how creative and attacking the team is.

Throughout most of this season we have been well behind in those stats. Basically, Lambert can't get the player that he bought to perform to a level where we can outplay many of the teams in the league.

We have a greater chance against teams higher than us because they expect to beat us. They push forward, and for the best part take us lightly and that's when we get some joy. Teams around us stick to the same game plan and beat us because they are better prepared. That is where Lambert has let us down.  He is very low when it comes to tactics, inspiring players, and making subs.

How could he put Bowery on today? When was the last time that guy scored at any level? Other managers would have been brave enough to throw the youngster on who is at least scoring goals, and knows where the net is.

No they don't. Stats don't always show when a team has come out with a specific gameplan and it has worked (e.g. at Southampton).

If it's a game plan to not create chance then Lambert is the best. I'mm sure he planned to have 22% of the game and score the only three shots on target. Genius, my bad!

I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by villianusa

Lambert knows a hell of a lot more about football than all of us put together and he has been trying to address this for newly two years. He is failing miserably.

Does he really? Really? He got a leg up in management because he was a former player.

Most people involved in football, including managers, who appear on shows in which they claim to 'analyse' matches come across as not particularly knowledgeable or insightful.

It'll never happen as there's obviously a huge amount of money at stake but I suspect if you took the average bloke off the street who is a football enthusiast and put him in charge of a midtable Premier League club with a modest budget, they wouldn't do much worse than most of the managers currently in the league. It's jobs for the boys, and even when they fail (repeatedly) they still get top jobs.

This is of course going a bit off topic, the point I'm really making is I'm not convinced that Lambert is some sort of oracle with plans beyond the understanding of mere fans just because he's currently got the Villa gig.

Totally agree. I went through my UEFA A license, but would never have a chance in the UK. That's why I went to live in the US, so I could still earn a living coaching.

Off topic but are there many opportunities to coach for a living in US?

That's one opinion. Personally I'd say we were extraordinarily lucky to come away with three points there.

If it's a game plan to not create chance then Lambert is the best. I'mm sure he planned to have 22% of the game and score the only three shots on target. Genius, my bad!

I'll leave it at that. 

His game plan was clearly to sit deep, let Southampton have the majority of the possession and then hit them on the counter. Ok that doesn't work all the time but it worked that night and stats simply don't tell you that.

We have a greater chance against teams higher than us because they expect to beat us. They push forward, and for the best part take us lightly and that's when we get some joy. Teams around us stick to the same game plan and beat us because they are better prepared. That is where Lambert has let us down. He is very low when it comes to tactics, inspiring players, and making subs.

That's one opinion. Personally I'd say we were extraordinarily lucky to come away with three points there.

Lucky is one word to describe that result. Freaky is another.

Pochettino was scratching his head after that one.

I still believe that we've progressed. If you'd read my posts clearer you'd see that what I've been mentioning over and over again is not points per game but rather where we are in relation to the relegation zone. I just hope it stays this way and we don't get properly dragged in.

That doesn't make sense. If we finish with less points than last season but still further away from the relegation zone, then that only proves that the teams around us have regressed. Only a total irrational would claim that a season in which the team collects less points than the last constitutes any form of progress.

I still believe that we've progressed. If you'd read my posts clearer you'd see that what I've been mentioning over and over again is not points per game but rather where we are in relation to the relegation zone. I just hope it stays this way and we don't get properly dragged in.

That doesn't make sense. If we finish with less points than last season but still further away from the relegation zone, then that only proves that the teams around us have regressed. Only a total irrational would claim that a season in which the team collects less points than the last constitutes any form of progress.

I've been through this already before - the barometer of progress should always be league position. If we finish say, 3 places higher this season then it means we've been able to do better relative to the teams around us. Points are just a way of measuring success in a league - what counts is where you finish. If we finish around where we finished last season then I will hold my hands up and say there's been little progression.

It's not irrational at all.

I've been through this already before - the barometer of progress should always be league position. If we finish say, 3 places higher this season then it means we've been able to do better relative to the teams around us. Points are just a way of measuring success in a league - what counts is where you finish. If we finish around where we finished last season then I will hold my hands up and say there's been little progression.

It says we improved our position. It doesn't say if that's due to us improving, or teams getting worse. Looking at the points tally that will keep teams up this year I would say it's the later.

It says we improved our position. It doesn't say if that's due to us improving, or teams getting worse. Looking at the points tally that will keep teams up this year I would say it's the later.

Isn't that what it's all about? I mean, we have to play every other team in the league anyway.

Whether or not our league position will improve is of course another matter.

Indeed. I credit Mantis' intelligence enough to believe that he knows this even if he is too stubborn to admit it.

Indeed. I credit Mantis' intelligence enough to believe that he knows this even if he is too stubborn to admit it.

"Stubbornness" has got **** all to do with it. In my opinion finishing higher in the league shows some degree of improvement.

Not everyone is going to share your opinions. Get over it. Intelligence and stubbornness don't even come into it.

I really don't see why it's "totally pointless" to ask who we'd replace Lambert with. In fact I'd say it's the first thing we should ask if we're really sure we don't want him.

The real question is.. Who would work under these restrictions? Even Pulis is allowed to bring in players on a higher wage. I can't think of a manager who could work wonders looking for £3m players on 8k p/w.

And yes, Lambert has made mistakes, but let's face it, if Ferguson and Wenger can make bad signings with a huge budget - buying players worth the full amount of our budget and failing - it is no wonder Lambert has made mistakes.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 2

I really don't see why it's "totally pointless" to ask who we'd replace Lambert with. In fact I'd say it's the first thing we should ask if we're really sure we don't want him.

It's pointless because it ventures into the realm of the hypothetical. Whoever I say, you can turn around and say that I don't know they would do any better. In response, I can say that you don't know he wouldn't do better. Neither of us can actually prove that we are correct thus it is pointless and leads nowhere.

• Like 1

Â