Mobile networks

limpid

Obviously you can only go by personal experience, but you'd be mental to go from O2 to EE, imo.

I know cheap phones can tempt you in, but I'd urge you to at least test a phone with EE connection first, to make sure you'll get signal.

Take it from me, being stuck in a 2 year contract with a network with poor reception is pretty frickin' annoying!

It started with I wanted an iPhone 5s with no upfront cost, I'm an iPhone virgin so thought it was about time I tried one. The best o2 couId offer was 43 a month, I didn't want to pay this much so started shopping around. EE came in slightly cheaper at about 38 I think.

Strangely, I found carphone warehouse were offering an iPhone 5s on o2 with no upfront cost with the same allowences as above for around 35. As im already on o2 I'm guessing signing up through carphone warehouse should be no hassle at all? You would think o2 would offer the best deals going direct? But apparently not.

So what's the deal with Tesco and Giff gaff? Will I get the same signal as I do on o2?

Edited by AndyC

Did you keep the same number Stevo? Any issues with them at all?.

I will ring o2 when I get chance and see if they will match the above, if not then I'll be making the switch to giffgaff.

Ofcom report

Vodafone has the worst quality of calls for mobile phone customers in rural areas, according to research by Ofcom.

The regulator looked at data from EE, O2, Three, and Vodafone on the performance of their networks.

EE had the best service across the whole of the UK, with O2 leading in cities.

Ofcom said that research showed the consumers in urban areas were happier with their mobile phone service than those in rural areas.

Some 78% of people in urban areas were satisfied with their mobile network, compared with 67% in rural parts of the UK and 70% in remote areas, Ofcom said.

The research measured the quality of calls in areas with coverage, looking at the numbers that failed to connect or unexpectedly cut out

EE have announced that they're now letting customers pay (the bargain price of 50p) to get priority and skip the queue when calling their customer disservice line. It's as if they're not even trying to get their customers to like them.

• 2 weeks later...

Was down in Cornwall last week and checked before I went to find Three was about as good as it got down where we were staying which was handy as I am on Three anyway.

We take for granted that emails will get pushed and Google Now will be our saviour keeping us up to date but bloody hell you miss it when it isn't there.

My Mrs is on O2 and she struggled massively to get emails and a lot of the time just to send texts or make calls.

• 2 weeks later...

o2 couldn't offer me a good deal and I wanted 4G before they had it available (I think) so moved to EE. 4G is rapid, very quick and I can actually get internet at Villa Park now.

I live in Sutton and signal here and anywhere else I have been has been fine.

I have finally made my switch to Giffgaff and I have to say I am impressed so far. Signal is exactly the same as O2 as Trent advised. They are effectively pay as you go but I have set my goodybag to recur every month so £10 per month for 500 mins, unlimited texts and 1gb data. Perfect for me.

I am disappointed with O2 though because they made no attempt to keep me as a customer other than offering me the same deals found on their website. I told them I was leaving for a three sim only deal not giffgaff. I have been a loyal customer to them for over 10 years.

They were the same when I left them.

The woman on the phone even advised me where to go to get a good deal on my new (T Mobile) phone. They wouldn't budge an inch on their contract price for the phone I wanted (S3) and that was £15 more a month than others

Surprised me.

Signal is exactly the same as O2 as Trent advised.

Ahem. (and I told you they wouldn't attempt to keep you) (sorry donnie).

Oops sorry limped, my mistake. Spot on advice though!

I guess they don't haggle to much to prevent word getting around and everybody phoning for a discount.

Â