The Championship - When not If ?

smetrov

Looking at our starting line up yesterday - it mattered that the we were a premiership team  - they was perhaps only Vlaar and Guzan who would look out of place in the championship. The big absentees ? - Well Delph was a big fee, big salary player, who is towards the end of his contract - Gabby who is a big earner - and again towards the end of his contract (and not in great form) - Bentekke now has a major injury...

Quite simply if we do stay up this season - Next season looks an even more daunting challenge...

I can't help thinking the club is sliding into the championship - its just when not if...

It could happen this season, an injury crisis at the wrong time and other teams looking to go for it in order to stay up.

If not this, without real investment, next season is certain*.

*IMHO

It could happen this season, an injury crisis at the wrong time and other teams looking to go for it in order to stay up.

*IMHO

Define real investment - give us a figure. 

*IMHO

An Ashley Young, Stilian Petrov, and a James Milner. Plus a right back, a decent left back and somebody like Gabby but better.

These are the sort of players we will need. This is the sort of quality we will not look at.

The players you named cost us (without add-ons) 26.5mil. Then you're talking about an additional 3 players - so conservatively you're talking about 40mil.

I think you need to get real - where can we get that sort of money from?

I'd be happy with another 20mil spread across 3 players - I think that'd make a big difference.  

The players you named cost us (without add-ons) 26.5mil. Then you're talking about an additional 3 players - so conservatively you're talking about 40mil.

I think you need to get real - where can we get that sort of money from?

I'd be happy with another 20mil spread across 3 players - I think that'd make a big difference.  

You asked me who we should buy, I tell you the sort of quality we need (and we do need it), then you tell me to get real?

Real IS needing quality.

No, I asked you for a figure - which you didn't give me, so I had to put it together myself from your post and the figure I inferred is a lot higher than I expect we'll spend. I think is a completely unrealistic amount of money to spend for a club of our stature. 

*IMHO

An Ashley Young, Stilian Petrov, and a James Milner. Plus a right back, a decent left back and somebody like Gabby but better.

These are the sort of players we will need. This is the sort of quality we will not look at.

If that sort of investment is considered 'unrealistic' then this club really is going no where.

• Like 3

No, I asked you for a figure - which you didn't give me, so I had to put it together myself from your post and the figure I inferred is a lot higher than I expect we'll spend. I think is a completely unrealistic amount of money to spend for a club of our stature. 

Unrealistic for Southampton too then?

We had a long list of injuries yesterday though - Okore, Delph, El Ahmadi, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Gardner, Kozak and Benteke all out.

Of course there needs to be more investment and an end to the current financial restrictions, but I don't think yesterday's lineup really proves anything other than that we've got a lot of important players out injured.

Get behind the team and see where we are once  the final whistle of the final match has been blown - the time to analyse where we are as a club is the close season.

The "stature"of our club dictates we should be spending as much money as any other big club competing for trophies.  I think you mean the "stature" of our owner? (Who has less money behind him than the owner of, say, Leicester City.)

• Like 1

It's nice to see some fans taking on a small club mentality. I love to see fans of this great club lowering their expectations and accepting what is, at the very best, mediocrity. 

• Like 2

It's nice to see some fans taking on a small club mentality. I love to see fans of this great club lowering their expectations and accepting what is, at the very best, mediocrity. 

So not wanting us to spend 40mil is having a small club mentality? Behave. 

They still owe 27m in transfer fees. They've spent twice as much and taken a big financial risk to get a colossal 12 more points. Unless you're backed by somebody who can really afford to lose it and not let the club take the fall, spending loads of money is a massive risk that can have serious repercussions - I'm all for taking things a bit more slowly and trying to build a side organically, like we're trying to do. 

They still owe 27m in transfer fees. They've spent twice as much and taken a big financial risk to get a colossal 12 more points. Unless you're backed by somebody who can really afford to lose it and not let the club take the fall, spending loads of money is a massive risk that can have serious repercussions - I'm all for taking things a bit more slowly and trying to build a side organically, like we're trying to do.

Liebherr's estate was worth four times was Randy is worth I think before he passed away. They are roughly spending what Randy was spending to start with, only they haven't got someone pissing it down the toilet.

5 as id have Okore starting and probably if was fit Nzog be in the squad

but injuries is not an excuse every team gets them whether its Man City or Fulham. just have to deal with it

We had a long list of injuries yesterday though - Okore, Delph, El Ahmadi, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Gardner, Kozak and Benteke all out.

Of course there needs to be more investment and an end to the current financial restrictions, but I don't think yesterday's lineup really proves anything other than that we've got a lot of important players out injured.

So what about the other 9 home defeats this season?

Â