What ever happened to Alpay?

Mart-L7

Gregory said that Alpay was liked by everyone at the club if I recall

Said that whenever he came back

From international duty he always bought presents with him for the admin staff at the club

The transfer saga was about villa making him pay for his own treatment when he got injured if memory serves.. Peter Schmeichel is on record somewhere saying Alpay was not the bad guy in the saga but Graham Taylor was

I thought Alpay and Olaf was a great partnership an upgrade on southgate and Ugo and that takes some doing

I loved Alpay he was a no nonsense, nasty bit of work on the pitch, But more importantly a very good defender. And a great servant to his country with almost 90 caps for turkey. I had the pleasure of meeting him in a shopping centre the once he was with his wife and i have to say he was the nicest bloke you would want to meet, took time to chat about the villa and football in general. Top bloke 

Him and Mellberg were one of the best CB partnerships in Europe at their peak.

Crazy Statement

Its not though, as I said in a few posts above, alpay & mellberg had the second best defense In the league in the one season they played together.

The guy was a nutter but if one of the main reasons he wasn't played at Villa was due to his exploits against England then that's BS. The clubs concern should be Aston Villa and not England.

Edited by Amo69

Him and Mellberg were one of the best CB partnerships in Europe at their peak.

Crazy Statement

Its not though, as I said in a few posts above, alpay & mellberg had the second best defense In the league in the one season they played together.

Its not that black and white though. For starters Alpay & Mellberg didnt have the 2nd best defence in the league, Aston Villa did. Now obviously they will have played a big part in that but so will have others, including every member of the team. 

Its madness to claim that they were one of the best CB pairings in Europe based purely on one season as it is anyway. Kevin Phillips, Marcus Stewart, Darren Bent - all players who have finished high up the premiership goalscoring charts for a season, maybe 2. Were they 3 of Europe's best Strikers at their peaks? No. 

Im unsure of the exact year - Have you got that, because it appears your stats are mislead?

99-00 The year before Alpay signed. 3rd best in the league.

00-01 The year after Alpay signed. Joint 6th in the league.

01-02 7th in the league - even behind 13th placed Fulham.

02-03 8th best in the league

Maybe you are talking about 01-02 (after Mellberg signed) where Alpay got injured for part of the season?? I don't know. But even then, to support such a statement with not even a full season's performance is madness really.

Â