What ever happened to Alpay?

Mart-L7

He was a hell of a talent but a right scumbag. I'm Scottish and even I was pretty disgusted with him that England game when he raked .....Gerrard I think it was legs. He also injured Owen that game by raking him. He was a great tough tackler and I love that but nothing tough about injuring a guy who isn't even looking at you. Same goes for Roy Keane's hard man image

According to Wiki, he is now on the management committee for Siirtspor, a club in deepest South East Turkey (not so far from lovely places like Syria and Iraq).

Siirtspor are in the TFF third division, which is roughly equivalent to our League division 2. They are a bit like Portsmouth, having fallen from an earlier record of being in the top flight.

So that's what happened to him.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

I remember the Beckham saga, my thoughts were "why is it the villa player has to have his contract termimated because of David O'Blinkin Beckham." For all the anger over a players conduct, I had never heard of someone being moved on because of it. Cantona got to keep his and he kung fu'd a fan in the face!

Him and Mellberg were one of the best CB partnerships in Europe at their peak.

They were decent enough but that's a bit over the top  :)  Certainly better than the mess we have at the minute but I wouldn't put them in my top 3 AVFC partnerships of recent times.

Alpay was decent though, like others have said, shame we went batshit crazy

That Turkey vs England game was hilarious, I seem to remember Rustu nearly decapitating Kieron Dyer with a kung fu kick near the half way line.

Different game that, that was at the stadium of light I think in the first qualifier

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/2909009.stm]here

Edited by Jimzk5

I met him once in B&Q at castle Vale. He was out of the team apparently injured at the time.

As he walked towards me I shouted "Alpay! I thought you were injured"

"I am" he replied with a big grin.

</endboring"Imetaplayer"story>

• Like 1

Had a good first season and started the second season well alongside mellberg

Then got injured abOut half way through before going to the world cup

Then hardly played and was largely abysmal when he did play after the world cup

Nowhere near the likes of Ugo and southgate overall

Does anyone else remember the time that he slapped David James? 

I can't remember who we were playing against but we had just conceded (Holte End). James was shouting at Alpay, Alpay started giving some back then Alpay slapped him across the face! A couple of other players got in the middle of them to stop it and then Alpay just casually turned around and walked back into position ready for us to kick-off again.

I'm not making it up. Please someone else remember this! 

Does anyone else remember the time that he slapped David James? 

I can't remember who we were playing against but we had just conceded (Holte End). James was shouting at Alpay, Alpay started giving some back then Alpay slapped him across the face! A couple of other players got in the middle of them to stop it and then Alpay just casually turned around and walked back into position ready for us to kick-off again.

I'm not making it up. Please someone else remember this! 

Sadly it did happen. January 2001. At home to Liverpool. We lost 0-3 and the first goal came after an Alpay cock up. David James gave him a bit of a tongue lashing so Alpay hit him! Both players were restrained by team mates.

He (Alpay) was substituted at half time. 

The only memorable thing about that match from a Villa point of view was that new signing Juan Pablo Angel watched it sitting next to Deadly in the Directors box and was paraded on the pitch at half time. The only time the Villa fans cheered all match, I think.

• Like 1

I seem to remember that when he first joined he was brilliant - looked a real top class player. It all went wrong when he handed in a transfer request because he claimed he'd been promised a new contract and he'd now been told that wasn't coming. He lost his head after that.

My Turkish friend is telling me even they think its nuts haha and he had a real vile wife that caused a lot of that caused a lot of crap for him ( explains everything females the root of all evil )

Alpay is now a tv football pundit with Marcus Merck and Hakan Sukur.

My Turkish friend is telling me even they think its nuts haha and he had a real vile wife that caused a lot of that caused a lot of crap for him ( explains everything females the root of all evil )

Alpay is now a tv football pundit with Marcus Merck and Hakan Sukur.

Someone has girly issues

I saw him in h&m up merry hill when he played for us. Me missus ,not watchin where she was going rammed him with our sons pushchair. He then appologized to her.....dont think he played for another 6 months so she must have really clouted him!

Â