What ever happened to Alpay?

Mart-L7

Slapped a transfer request in following rumoured interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona, didn't get his move, had a major hissy fit and played like an arse so eventually had his contract terminated.

But ultimately, worst of all, he went to *spit* Köln.  He's dead to me now.

He played well at the 2002 world cup, come back to Villa and handed in a transfer request, Taylor rejected it but told him he won't play people that didn't want to be here, Alpay apologized and played a few games, next season gets a fresh start from dolly, scores against Charlton, gets booed, plays against England in an international and was caught on camera trying to head but Beckham, next day banners around villa saying alpay out, club released him. Now on the board ay fenerbahce i think.

good player, shame he was a mental.

• Like 3

Loved him and his partnership with Melberg. For me, it wasn't just that he was a solid defender - he had a knack for getting under the opposition's skin and putting them off their game.

The seeds of his discontent started with his knee injury in the lead up to 2002 WC. From memory, he accused Villa (read: Doug Ellis) of not bothering to pay for treatment that would see him recover in time for the WC, so he sought his own doctors - which obviously did the job.

After a great 2002 WC he then started to believe his press, his head was not right and it was downhill from that point.

The final straw came from the England vs Turkey qualifier for the Euros in 2003. Despite having an excellent game for Turkey (whilst warming the bench for us), he mocked Beckham when he badly missed a first half penalty. At halftime he confronted Beckham again as the sides left the pitch, having some choice words to say and putting a finger in his face. Nothing else is captured on camera from that point, but there was a brawl in the tunnel as a result.

While Alpay insisted that Beckham spat at him and tried to headbutt him in the ensuing struggle, the English fans (and a good handful of posters on this site, IIRC) had already made him the target of derision. That was effectively the end of his Villa career - he resigned in October 2003 with a Villa press release stating "life in England had become increasingly difficult for him and his family".

• Like 4

I think it was a terrible move by club to release him and was bowing to media pressure as cost the club a potential transfer fee.

One thing about alpay I found fascinating was he must be one of rare defenders to score a hat-trick in a competitive international

He played well at the 2002 world cup, come back to Villa and handed in a transfer request, Taylor rejected it but told him he won't play people that didn't want to be here, Alpay apologized and played a few games, next season gets a fresh start from dolly, scores against Charlton, gets booed, plays against England in an international and was caught on camera trying to head but Beckham, next day banners around villa saying alpay out, club released him. Now on the board ay fenerbahce i think.

good player, shame he was a mental.

Pretty decent summary

I also recall (though this may be my memory playing tricks) that when he joined he was giving it the Charlie big banana by basically saying we were a stepping stone for him.  Didn't help him that.

Good defender though and as for his spat with Beckham the only issue I have with that is that he didnt do more damage

Great player for us when his head was ok.

I believe there was a scuffle in that England match at half-time and I'm sure one of the cameras followed the players into the tunnel at the break and we saw live (on TV) a melee. I heard Heskey or Campbell was actually one of the people who hit Alpay because of alleged racist abuse?!

Â