Dark Souls II

Ginko

It's so slick and smooth on pc; never dips lower than 60fps. Although graphically there are no enhancements specifically for the pc version, the sharper resolution and textures make a world of difference, particularly in the rough looking early game. The later levels will look beautiful. I'm not sure how much freedom the modding community will get yet but I hope they're allowed to do more than they could on DkS1. 

You guys ever checked out any of the DSII streams on twitch.tv? They've become quite popular again since the PC version came out and some of the All Bosses Speedruns on there are insane. Very impressive stuff. If you're interested in having a look just click here.

Downloaded this on the PC yesterday.  Struggling to like it very much so far, but will carry on.

I think it's absolutely incredible so far, but appreciate if it's your first DS game then it can be a little intimidating.

Got through my first couple of bosses and trying more of a strength based build this time (rolled a Warrior)

The only thing i'm slightly disappointed with so far, is that even though the game looks absolutely incredible and the art style is stunning there seems to be a lack of connection between the areas. It all seems a little bit abrupt when moving to a new section. But as I say that's a very small complaint.

And Riss, presume you are using a controller to play with? if not, do so.

Yeah the world layout isn't as seamless as DS1, I agree, but there are some great areas.

Risso, what type of character did you choose? I find that playing as a caster is a lot less frustrating in DS2 so if you're not too far into it then maybe think about playing as a sorcerer or cleric if this is your first experience of a Souls game? They are very intimidating games but the sense of achievement is unlike any other game I've played.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

It's taken me 2.5 months of playing virtually everyday but I am at the final boss. Never got this far on DS1.

On a side note, I see the daily mail are jumping up and down that the kid who murdered his teacher "was obsessed with dark souls"

Well, that kid may well have been copying a backstab I suppose, but firstly, it's rated as a 16 in this country and the kid was 15, so it's not Namco Bandai or From Software's fault if a kid gets hold of a game through negligence either through the game distributor or the kid's parents, but more importantly, video games, movies, TV shows, music, art etc are not and never will be responsible for this kind of behaviour. The kid has mental issues which were neglected. I don't know whose fault that is or even if anyone is at fault, but that is what the issue is here, not a video game.

The sooner the moronic journalists, politicians and whoever else who jumps on the bandwagon who know absolutely nothing about games and don't stop to do their research and think about things rationally realise this, the better. Pointing the blame at Dark Souls just makes them look stupid and deflects attention from the real problem.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

I was obsessed with fifa, that's why I am now a professional footballer making making millions of pounds each season... :rolleyes:

I am getting a new laptop so I am actually tempted to jump on the pc version but apparently people are already hacking. I remember Dark souls on pc was literally just all hackers. Some players weren't bad, just hacking in appearances which were actually cool to see, but others just gave themselves infinite health and stamina. 

Apparently they are cutting down on hackers for consoles heavily though. A lot of people who used the program I used have gotten banned. I only use the program to change my stats instead of using a soul vessel so I don't think I will get in trouble. I am not necessarily cheating. I just dont want to invest a full day to make a new character. 

I haven't come across any hackers so far. PvP has been an extremely enjoyable experience for me, something that's been hugely improved from DkS1. I'm not sure what it is about the community but you seem to encounter some of the biggest nutters of all time, running round in just pants and onion knight helmet, chucking acid at you. It's been hilarious. 

Obviously it will be annoying if it gets really bad with hackers but I have faith that in general the DkS community will remain fairly decent in that respect. It's the sort of game where pvp doesn't actually reward much for winning; there's no particular ladder as such, even in the arena matches, it's all just about running round having fun, so I imagine hacking would on the whole just be a novelty thing which would wear off fairly quickly, or something you might encounter once every now and again. Maybe I'm being a bit naive though :P

In other news From Software has been bought out by Kadokawa, an absolutely huge manga distributor in Japan taking their first steps into video game publishing. There will undoubtedly be huge changes, so will be interesting to see how the Souls series develops in the future. 

Downloaded this on the PC yesterday.  Struggling to like it very much so far, but will carry on.

I think it's absolutely incredible so far, but appreciate if it's your first DS game then it can be a little intimidating.

Got through my first couple of bosses and trying more of a strength based build this time (rolled a Warrior)

The only thing i'm slightly disappointed with so far, is that even though the game looks absolutely incredible and the art style is stunning there seems to be a lack of connection between the areas. It all seems a little bit abrupt when moving to a new section. But as I say that's a very small complaint.

And Riss, presume you are using a controller to play with? if not, do so.

That may be where I'm going wrong, but really, shouldn't a PC game be properly playable with a mouse and keypad?  I entirely wasted money on the last one because it was completely unplayable on PC without a load of mods, and it still looked shite.  This one keeps telling me to press the green A button.  Nothing I own has a green A button on it!

I just ignore the skellies and dodge them if I can then go straight for the guys controlling them.

Yeah, after I did what I always do when I first encounter a boss (panic, miss buttons, swear, run around a bit, panic, swear a bit more, miss more buttons, open my inventory for no reason and then die) I realised that taking out the Necros first was the way to go. Then someone had left a message about the lever which helped and the final section of the fight with the horse wasn't too bad at all.

• Like 1

Well expect a lot of hackers in about a month. Last dark souls on pc ended up with nearly everyone hacking. It was almost impossible to find someone not hacking online. Graphics are supposed to be amazing though and lighting has greatly been altered. Torches are actually needed in a lot of areas or you will be traversing in the pure darkness. 

Â