Dark Souls II

Ginko

I imagine a souls game on the next gen would be amazing.

Its already out. Dark Souls II on PC. Why would you want to play a sequel on 3 year old tech?

Because I am not going to go out and buy a new computer and a copy of a game I already own.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of dark soul youtubers who do funny stuff like this. Here are just some of my favorites: onlyAfro, DarkProjectMayhem, dmtinfernicide, emarrel, krazy999, and darkurbansouls. If you get bored or just want to laugh, I'd highly recommend watching their videos.

• Like 2

Went back to my first melee build playthrough after a couple of weeks of neglect. Managed to get through No-Man's Wharf and defeat Flexile Sentry with no real issue. The Darkdweller's were definitely the toughest but only because they cause bleed even when I was blocking their attacks. I was probably over-levelled for this area though so they didn't pose too much of a problem.

After that I got to the Lost Bastille but warped to the other bonfire where the bird drops you off after Pursuer and took down the Ruin Sentinels. That was a lot of fun, I thought that fight would be a lot tougher than it was but with the NPC lightening the load things went really well. We took down the first sentinel on the ledge quickly enough and then one of the others jumped up. Fought it a bit but got careless and it hit me off the ledge so I took down the other sentinel waiting while the NPC summon pretty much finished off the previous one on her own. Aside from losing a lot of health getting knocked off, I got a quick heal away and after that I was never in any real trouble.

Melee is a lot more fun than caster I find. I'm really enjoying it.

Now im trying a dual avelyn build at soul level 232

Getting plenty of hate mail loving it

I used to hate avelyn users. It takes relatively no effort to kill people with it, but I realized as long as I keep moving laterally, the bolts never hit me. I don't even attempt to role or block. Literally just walk laterally until I get close enough to hit them.

I also found out recently that even in ng+ it's based on your soul memory once you hit 12 million souls. Meaning if you have 12 million souls or more, you can get invaded by anyone with any soul level. For instance, I am level 150 and I could get invaded by someone who is level 349. Seems fair right? So I just make sure to keep my soul memory around 4-5 million so I can get balanced pvp.

Well i invade as a blue sentinel and i have the dark witch branch equipped

I Sacred oath into Great Magic Barrier then Chameleon

I then wait for people to walk past me or i engage them so they do not know what weapons i'm using

1 opening volley is usually enough unless they are wearing havels or really heavy armor casters are my favourite i can usually take anything they throw at me to the chin and survive but they cannot survive

I have been getting hate mail its hilarious but its not my fault its the developers fault for not nerfing such a broken weapon :D

Edited by AshVilla

I just hate the people who use the avelyns with the two rings that make your weapons invisible. They clearly hacked to get those items and are using a nearly impossible ring to get to kill people. It's always great when I bow to my opponent and then I get hit by dark magic, avelyns or just get hit by the spin to win move when their weapon is invisible. It makes parrying or judging attacks nearly impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be playing this through in quick bursts at the moment. Fancied having a go today and did both Skellie Lords and Executioner's Chariot on my melee build first time and solo. Pretty chuffed. I also got invaded a couple of times and sent them both packing, though one was incredibly close.

I stand by what I've always said about the Souls games, the sense of achievement is unmatched by anything else I've ever played.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I beat the DLC last night and I have a few spoilers so I'll hide it.

2 of the 3 bosses are quality. Elisa or whatever her name is was a great boss fight. Sinh was also amazing but I managed to beat him 1st try. I didn't even realize I was in a boss fight for a few seconds. The new ghost enemies are fantastic. I hated fighting them but I loved it at the same time. They were such a pain! Also I love how the new area is a puzzle. You have to pay attention all around to find certain things and manipulate the platforms to find items and progress. Also the npc invasions...Damn that was great. Jester was the toughest fight I have ever had to experience. Really felt like an old dark souls level but with some new features.

Overall I'd give it a 9/10. It is well worth the buy.

• Like 1

Been back playing this a bit more yesterday on my first melee playthrough. Just got the Ashen Mist Heart and decided to have a crack at the Pilgrims of the Dark sidequest.

Darklurker boss fight with a melee character is an absolute bitch. Hell, getting to Darklurker is an absolute bitch. I did the dungeon underneath Drangleic castle last and having to deal with the black phantoms down there can be a bit of a nightmare.

I'd been stuck for a few days trying to defeat Darklurker before going to the Throne of Want and finishing this melee playthrough off but Darklurker with a melee character is insanely difficult.

In the end I buffed my pyromancy up and managed to take him down that way. That was the toughest boss I've fought out of all the Souls games. A lot of people say Maneater but I managed to do that boss fight on my first try so maybe I got lucky.

After Darklurker I went straight to the Throne of Want and defeated Watcher & Defender and then Nashandra first time. They were pretty easy with melee, well, W&D posed some trouble but Nashandra was a piece of piss with melee.

Yeah it was an awesome boss fight, just a bit too hard to fight with a melee character. I looked up some tips online but a lot of people with melee builds who had trouble respec'ed into casters just for this fight which I personally think is ridiculous. Then again I did do most of the damage in that fight with my pyromancy so I suppose I'm not perfect either.

Maneater was in Demon's Souls, if you ever played that. It was the boss for the second stage of the Tower of Latria level which consisted of narrow walkways, skinny gargoyles swooping down on you and a blood swamp down at the bottom with some creepy huge insects with human faces. Definitely one of the creepiest levels in any of the Souls series.

The Maneater boss fight is essentially the same as the Bell Gargoyles in Dark Souls (not DS2 as there's only two gargoyles) but instead of it being on a wide open space like the church roof in Dark Souls, this one takes place on a narrow walkway which makes things pretty difficult. It's considered by a lot of players as the hardest boss fight in Demon's Souls.

Back to DS2 though, after finishing the game yesterday I tried out getting summoned for the DLC despite the fact I don't own it. Has anyone else done this? You just go to the Primal Bonfire behind The Rotten's boss room, use the fountain looking thing to warp to the DLC area and lay your summon sign down. Then it shows up at one part of the DLC just before a boss fight versus three tough enemies. It's a really cool fight and can last a while. Earlier on this guy summoned me and some other moron who either went AFK or was just being an asshole on purpose because he stopped moving halfway to the boss room so in the end it was only me and the host versus the three bosses. We nailed it though, that was a good sense of achievement ;)

• Like 1

Well as I said, I've done the one against the Havel clone and the two others a fair few times. In fact I just came off from playing it just now.

When I get a job I'll get the DLC and blast through it, but I've pretty much seen most of it from streams and YouTube anyway. I don't really care about spoilers, my curiosity is far more overwhelming than any feeling of wanting to experience it all for myself. I think I know about the enemy you're on about. You have to figure something out before you can kill them.

Â