Dark Souls II

Ginko

I just ignore the skellies and dodge them if I can then go straight for the guys controlling them.

Yeah, after I did what I always do when I first encounter a boss (panic, miss buttons, swear, run around a bit, panic, swear a bit more, miss more buttons, open my inventory for no reason and then die)

Nice to see someone using the same tactics as me in an initial boss encounter

• Like 2

We have DS2 to thank for the Villa win today. I normally watch Soccer Saturday when we're on but I couldn't handle it today with all the pressure, so instead I put Dark Souls 2 on and started a new playthrough with a strength/dex build. I checked the score a few times throughout and saw we were winning for the majority of the game so I kept on playing thinking if I stopped then the inevitable would happen. I got to the Last Giant in the last few minutes of the Villa game, took him down and checked my phone after to see full time and we'd won.

If only I'd done that at the start of the season, huh? Lesson learned.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Sigh, taking down the Pursuer melee is touuuugh. I nearly got him on the second time but for a poorly timed heal when he had maybe two hits left on him. I got too excited and lost my nerve. By the time the third time came around I had no life gems left and he's just too quick for Estus heals, he gets me every time. I took a risk and popped Humanity for a summon and after waiting for seemingly ages, one came through but he was absolutely useless.

I'm not good enough at parrying to lure him and stun him in front of a ballista. I'm going to have to grind a bit to by some more life gems and then have another crack at him until I get lucky or I get better.

There's a trick to try to stay about mid range from him as much as possible and force him to do his dash attack. When he dashes you can simply move to the side, not even roll and you'll dodge it, you'll have time to get two or three hits in, then move back out to mid range and repeat. 

I beat him today and that was close to what I ended up doing to be fair. I got closer to him to bait him into his dash but instead of moving to the side I just ran towards him as he dashed and rolled past him before he started his attack. Nine times out of ten I got it, the only time he got me was when I rolled late when he was just beginning to strike.

He was a bit of a douche though. With about three hits remaining on him he stopped dashing and kept switching between his heavy horizontal slash and that three hit combo which I just about managed to avoid with three quick rolls when I was right next to him. I was exhilarated when I finally got the bastard though. 

After that I just did some grinding in Heide's Tower of Flame. Probably could have done that before Pursuer to be fair, it might have helped me out. I only thought to do it after because I picked up the Drangleic sword and armor set by dropping down from the area after Pursuer. I was too weak for the sword and not strong enough with my equip burden so I did some grinding on the big guys at Tower of Flame (and took out Dragon Rider while I was at it using the cheap trick to get him to charge you and fall off the platform) to get my stats up.

Melee has caused me a lot more problems than caster in the early game. To be expected I suppose.

What a horrible, lazy port this is.  An extremely hard game that's rendered almost impossible to play on a keyboard and mouse.  What a complete and utter waste of £40.

I don't see why you can't just play with a controller?

There are loads of PC games that have controller support these days and it's not exactly difficult to install the software.

What a horrible, lazy port this is.  An extremely hard game that's rendered almost impossible to play on a keyboard and mouse.  What a complete and utter waste of £40.

Use a xbox controller

I don't see why you can't just play with a controller?

There are loads of PC games that have controller support these days and it's not exactly difficult to install the software.

I have two main issues.  Firstly it's a lazy port straight from the X Box to the PC.  Getting messages to press X Box controller keys on a PC game is very shoddy in my opinion.  Secondly, why should I have to buy a controller to make a PC game playable?  I prefer using a mouse and keyboard for most games, and nowhere when I bought the game does it say that a controller is needed or just advisable.  The game is more or less unplayable without one though, as even with a good bit of time messing with the settings, the camera speed is rubbish. I also have a decent gaming mouse, and you don't seem to be able to format extra keys other than the left, right and mouse wheels. 

I've never had a single issue with the camera whilst using a controller (never played with a mouse/keyboard combo so can't comment on that)

At the end of the day, if you're not prepared to use a controller (which is something the game supports quite happily) then you are simply not going to get the most out of it.

You will also be missing out on an incredibly satisfying gaming experience which is the real shame.

I think you're slightly missing the point Si.  I don't have an Xbox controller, and had I known that one was required to make the game playable, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.  I'd have thought that the default control option for PC games is mouse and keyboard, and I can't say I've heard of many games where it's easier to use another system's controller.

edit:  this review makes the point well enough.  Basically, if you're going to release a PC game, make it playable on a PC.

http://www.maximumpc.com/dark_souls_2_review_2014

Edited by Risso

I think you're slightly missing the point Si.  I don't have an Xbox controller, and had I known that one was required to make the game playable, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.  I'd have thought that the default control option for PC games is mouse and keyboard, and I can't say I've heard of many games where it's easier to use another system's controller.

I don't have an XBox controller either.

And as I said earlier, many many PC Games these days have the controller option (certainly most of the titles I have on Steam). Of course the default option will always be Mouse / Keyboard as that's how you control the actual PC.

Anyway, you're just trying to get out of playing it because you know it will be too challenging for you now your losing your reflexes a bit... :D

Final boss is a bit of a letdown isn't it? I found Watcher and Defender the trickier fight personally.

Not as immersive as DS but I think they improved on the fighting and control systems.

Heard rumours of this 'Project: Beast' at all? Some people online think this is the codename for a new game made by the game director of the first Dark Souls who has been busy working on this which is why he handed control of DSII over to some other guys. There have been some screenshots leaked online though they may well be fake, but it looks to be set in more of a Victorian era rather than medieval. 

The thinking is that this is either a new IP or a continuation of the Demon's Souls series which Sony owns the rights to which was the whole reason for creating a new IP in Dark Souls in the first place as Sony felt Demon's Souls was shit and didn't want to do a sequel. Now they've seen the error of their ways via the success of Dark Souls they may well want to do a Playstation exclusive.

Edited by Ginko

Project Beast is more than likely a real thing. It is true that the guy who made dark souls did not make the sequel. No idea why he wouldn't be making the sequel unless he had something else planned. When the next souls game does come out, I'll be getting it regardless if I have to get a ps4. I imagine a souls game on the next gen would be amazing. One thing all souls games have are amazing scenery which would be amplified on the ps4. I really hope they get better servers because Dark Souls II servers are garbage. Phantom hits, lag back stabs and other various issues take place regularly. I was just playing and I guy went to do a back stab. I rolled away faced him then swung my sword and boom, I was teleported a good 10 feet into a back stab animation. 

I do feel this Dark Soul story was a bit of a let down. When fighting Gywn from the last Dark Souls, you got the sense that this was really it. The previous Dark Souls story seemed more in depth and linear, this one, not so much. I also don't care for the npc stories. There are just no notable npcs in my opinion. I thought Dark Souls really immersed you into npc story lines like Catarina's, Big Hat Logan, and a lot more. I just don't get this from this game. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy dark souls II, but I think dark souls was the better game. 

There is so much I can ramble on about this game like how they cut out a lot of story, but I will not bore you all. 

I came here to say Katanas are op as $#%@. 

Just can't get into this at all.  I die a lot, which I actually don't mind, but leaving aside the control difficulties, I just don't think it's that good a game, frankly.

I imagine a souls game on the next gen would be amazing.

Its already out. Dark Souls II on PC. Why would you want to play a sequel on 3 year old tech?

Â