QI

Kingfisher

The sun’s core is so hot that a piece of it the size of a pinhead would give off enough heat to kill a person 160 kilometres away.

In what atmosphere?

Berserkers were Norse warrior Vikings. They would consume hallucinogenic mushrooms before battle and were known for battling in an uncontrollable, trance-like fury. Adding to their ferocity, they would wear bear and wolf pelts when they fought.

This is where they got their name too. 'Ber' is Old Norse for bear while 'sekr" means shirt or coat. This name gave rise to the English word 'beserk,' which accurately describes the Beserkers' behavior.

This isn't a quirk of history, drugs and war go hand in hand - evidence of soldiers being 'given' anything from alcohol to methamphetamine's are well documented throughout history, from the Napoleonic wars right through the two world wars and Vietnam up to the unofficial 'don't ask, don't tell' policy of the present day American army.

It brings a whole new meaning to the term 'a war on drugs'.

The sun’s core is so hot that a piece of it the size of a pinhead would give off enough heat to kill a person 160 kilometres away.

In what atmosphere?

Earths.

Obviously its a very simplified explanation but if correct its more to do with radiation than blast.

Ignoring the conjecture it was a QI 'fact'.

Edited by Nigel

In what atmosphere?

Earths.

Obviously its a very simplified explanation but if correct its more to do with radiation than blast.

Ignoring the conjecture it was a QI 'fact'.

T1 = core matter is at 1.5e7K

T2 = human heat 300K

A = A human body presents a silhouette around 1.8 * 0.3 metres

k = The coefficient of heat transfer in air is about 0.024

d = distance 1.6e5m

rate of heat transfer = kA(T1-T2)/d

Comes out to about 1K/s. I'm pretty sure the human body radiates a higher heat rate than that. Either my maths is bad, my physics is badly remembered, or the statement is wrong.

Levi, where did I go wrong? :)

T1 = core matter is at 1.5e7K

T2 = human heat 300K

A = A human body presents a silhouette around 1.8 * 0.3 metres

k = The coefficient of heat transfer in air is about 0.024

d = distance 1.6e5m

rate of heat transfer = kA(T1-T2)/d

Comes out to about 1K/s. I'm pretty sure the human body radiates a higher heat rate than that. Either my maths is bad, my physics is badly remembered, or the statement is wrong.

Levi, where did I go wrong?  :)

You went full Levi. Never go full Levi.

Â