Aston Villa – The Listening Football Club

JohnCresswell

Today’s announcement that Nike will be Aston Villa’s kit manufacturer from next season was certainly a rather interesting one – as it again confirms that men and women at the top of the football club are genuinely willing to listen and consider fan opinion before making decisions.

From a personal view, I can’t say I mind too much about who makes our kit – as long as it’s got a claret body and blue sleeves I’m happy. It is, however, something that is very important to a huge number of fans, who will all be delighted with today’s announcement.

Again, from a personal view, I had no real annoyance with Hummel. They designed some good kits (one of my favourite kits of all time has to be their first white away kit) and followed that up with some pretty decent merchandise too, then again we’ve also had a few shocking away kits.

Hummel were a prime example of the companies that Villa would be working with in the previous regime. Not particularly good, not particularly bad – but they would do a job.

Nike on the other hand – like it or not – is seen by many as the leading brand in it’s field.

To say that the happiness that has greeted this announcement is simply down to 'now we’ll be seen as being ‘cool with the kids’' is rather patronising and missing the point slightly.

Sure, this is one factor in it – the kids will see the shirt as something they want, something they need to be ‘cool at school’ – which whilst not necessarily great for the parents is great for the club as it means much more revenue – there are many, many more advantages to this.

Aston Villa are trying to develop a ‘brand’ for itself in this new era. It’s virtually impossible to buy a Villa shirt outside of Birmingham, let alone this country. This new deal will now help establish Villa as a global brand by making these shirt available in many, many more places. Villa shirts will be now stocked (hopefully) in the many Nike stores there are over the major cities of the world. I recently went to Berlin, and whilst there took a look at the Nike Store there. They had every shirt they make for the top divisions in Europe – it all helps with profile.

When Nike get involved at this level, it’s not half-hearted – at the end of the day there is nothing in it for them if they do. It’s very possible that any stadium development could be paid partly for by the company in exchange for their famous ‘swoosh’ logo to be displayed in the seats as done by Arsenal. They may be able to advise and help with the current training ground redevelopment, and let’s face it, the top players seem to stick to the clubs who have the same kit supplier as their personal sponsor. For example, David Beckham left Nike club Manchester United for Adidas Real Madrid. And when he decides to move on, who does he bizarrely choose? That’s it – LA Galaxy – kit makers – Adidas. Whilst obviously it doesn’t make a huge lot of difference to the players we will be targeting at the moment, it will help in the long run.

To be honest, I’m delighted. Not because I hate Hummel, or that I like Nike. But because it’s another example of the club listening to the fans, and acting on those comments and suggestions. They aren’t just saying that they are listening – they actually are listening. The majority of fans were really hoping for a ‘named’ brand, and they’ve got it, to go along with the initiative to move away fans, the re-development of the Holte Pub, the badge re-design, the run out music and of course the SCG sessions.

Bloody good, that is.

i cant believe people actually believe that the club have acted on us saying we need a new kit manufacturer and done it for that reason...................... lerner has done it for one reason only - make money !! simple as !

i cant believe people actually believe that the club have acted on us saying we need a new kit manufacturer and done it for that reason...................... lerner has done it for one reason only - make money !! simple as !

I agree mate, I don't see how the club has listened to the fans here.

The club has simply done what it has done since Lerner came in....... looked at the options available and picked the absolutely best one.

IMO the previous regime had no business acument and didn't care about the fans

The current one realises that in order to make money (as suggested above ) then they very much have to keep the fans onside. So in that respect has to listen to the fan base. SO I agree with the article

Mind you whichever way you view it you cant help but agree with at least the last 4 four words

I don't see how the club has listened to the fans here.

Speak for yourself mate :lol:

I believe that having a supplier more in touch with sportswear fashion would aid our cause worldwide. Just look at what Nike have done for Arsenal - I still maintain that the Nike/Henry double act is what turned them into an international power. They had a display for their new strip at the Nike store on the corner of Oxford Circus. Now that is marketing, my friends, and we need it.

In hindsight I think Wenger deserves more credit, but still...

I think it's rubbish to suggest they haven't listened to supporters.

If it was just about changing to nike to make the most money why didn't doug do this? it's not like he had a dislike to making money is it

Nike don't just work with anybody.................

I don't see any reason why an international big hitter sportswear giant would want to be associated with a middle of the road, going nowhere football club run by Ellis.

Nike don't just work with anybody.................

I don't see any reason why an international big hitter sportswear giant would want to be associated with a middle of the road, going nowhere football club run by Ellis.

Don't they make wallsalls kit?

I think that

Mind you whichever way you view it you cant help but agree with at least the last 4 four words

which is talking about

Bloody good, that is.

is the point really. Surely? Can't really see the negative vibe requirement here.

IMO the previous regime had no business acument and didn't care about the fans

The current one realises that in order to make money (as suggested above ) then they very much have to keep the fans onside. So in that respect has to listen to the fan base. SO I agree with the article

100% agree

The only down side if there is one at all is the big companies tendency to have one design and link the teams shirts to that. They all do it so, but not really a problem.

Let's just hope they get the shade of Claret right, not like the Diadora hint of pink

Let's just hope they get the shade of Claret right, not like the Diadora hint of pink

Well they are the listening club ;) Lets ram the point home. NO PINK SHIRTS !! WE'RE NOT BLEEDIN' PALERMO !!!!!

the negative ks come out already. why not just look at how good this is for the club??

I've looked, and looked again.............

Who's said anything negative???????

Jim, someone has caught you out. Some have the impression that you may have thought something negative. Think again. Think "yes, the club listened to the fans." Repeat it to yourself. Purge your mind of such impure thoughts. That way you shall be saved. :winkold:

Â