Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I admit this is a poor example but im at work so cant type for long periods at a time.....If Sorenson had a great game but then made 1 mistake it would cost us the game. If Foster had a great game and made 1 mistake he would be still man of the match because they lost 4-0 anyway.

Do you see my point?

Very very true, but my concern is not with Tommy's mistakes, its his lack of authority in the area. Great shot stopper, doesnt take enough crosses doesn't command the box at set pieces, and as we all know set pieces were our bete boir last year.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit this is a poor example but im at work so cant type for long periods at a time.....If Sorenson had a great game but then made 1 mistake it would cost us the game. If Foster had a great game and made 1 mistake he would be still man of the match because they lost 4-0 anyway.

Do you see my point?

I see your point but having seen Foster play he is about as good a shot stopper as Sorenson. However, he commands his area much more and plays with more confidence meaning that the defenders aren't as uncertain as to what he will do. Being 10 years younger too he will only improve. A much better option for the future a reasonably better option for the here and now!

Do you see my point?

I see your point (but then I haven't been involved in your Foster discussion up to this point). I do think there is merit in suggesting that you can only judge a keeper in a decent team because the expectation is different. As you say, it was almost alright for Foster to concede 4 as long as he saved some blinders - and lets face it, his goal was peppered. Whereas if the expectation was to keep clean sheets and not make ANY mistakes then that's different.

I will point out though that Watford, despite their dismal season, did keep an in-ordinate amount of clean sheets for a bottom team, so with that in mind and the fact he belongs to ManUre, maybe Foster is the right man. I'm not sure tbh.

^ fair enough but i still think it will be interested to see how he fairs playing for a better team. I think he could just be another Roy Carroll.

Boruc however has proved he can play against the best with his Champions League performances, conceding 1 goal against potential champions over 2 legs. Now that for me is pretty impressive.

What would we do with Foster? He ain't better than Sörensen and if he don't want to sit on Uniteds bench, then why would he sit on ours?

If we don't bid for Sneijder now I think he's off to Valencia. I think that Ajax will lower the fee so it fits Valencias if there's no higher bid.

I am a Sorenson fan but Foster is a far superior keeper and about 10 years younger so will only improve.

Totally bullsh*t. He's not better than Sörensen. Not in a million years.

How much have you actually seen of him Pelle? Because Watford is my local team and I've seen him live 10-15 times over the last couple of years and he is already better than Sorenson with room for improvement. And I don't think Tommy is a bad keeper at all...

Do you see my point?

Thanks for helping me explain a bit. And as someone else said, it's easier to be a good keeper in a bad team when you have to make saves upon saves. You're kept warm. But true good keepers save their team in a game when he's had almost nothing to do and a chanse comes out of nothing. Like Sörensen against Liverpool at VP. And to a bit against Watford and Sheff Utd if IIRC. Not tha last game against sheff, though.

And it is not opinions it's just pure bull to say that an unproven goalkeeper from Watford is superior than a proven national player from Denmark who's been called one of the best in the world by someone like Buffon. That just ain't right. It's like saying I'm better than Ronaldinho. It's simply just not true, not about opinions.

^ fair enough but i still think it will be interested to see how he fairs playing for a better team. I think he could just be another Roy Carroll.

Boruc however has proved he can play against the best with his Champions League performances, conceding 1 goal against potential champions over 2 legs. Now that for me is pretty impressive.

Boruc's quality is not in question. I was only offering an opinion on Foster. If I had the choice of those 2 I'd take Boruc.

I think we turn on our keepers a bit too easily. Sorensen is a very good keeper and makes alot of outstanding saves. For the money we will need to spend to improve on him I think the potential imporvement to the team will be marginal. If we buy someone then so be it but I think we can afford to wait and pick up a bargain or young keeper. On the whole i'd prefer to spend the money on other areas of the team.

I think he could just be another Roy Carroll.

I fear that he could be just another Richard Wright.. An excellent young keeper, was thought to be far far far too good for Ipswich and eventually made his dream move to Everton. And from then on, it was pure downhill...

I think it's pretty clear Grant that there will be a new keeper coming in. I like Tommy too, but it's looking like MON wants a new one.

By the way, wouldn't it be wonderful to sign Buffon? Apparently, he's not sure if he wants to stay at Juve next season.

"I always look for happiness. I decided to stay with Juventus in Serie B because I knew I would have been happy to help the club in a difficult situation.

"I follow my heart and instinct but I have to be given the opportunity of being a part of an ambitious project. Most importantly, I want to be serene and free, this is why I don't consider playing in the Champions League a requirement.

Clicky

I think it's pretty clear Grant that there will be a new keeper coming in. I like Tommy too, but it's looking like MON wants a new one.

I suppose the question is then...is that because Sorensen isnt good enough or Taylor isnt?

Alot of comments have come out about no players being forced out. Perhaps a younger player like Foster or Gordon would come in to provide competition and replace Sorensen over a period of time rather than the '1 in, Sorensen out' that so far seems to be the view.

By the way, wouldn't it be wonderful to sign Buffon? Apparently, he's not sure if he wants to stay at Juve next season.

"I always look for happiness. I decided to stay with Juventus in Serie B because I knew I would have been happy to help the club in a difficult situation.

"I follow my heart and instinct but I have to be given the opportunity of being a part of an ambitious project. Most importantly, I want to be serene and free, this is why I don't consider playing in the Champions League a requirement.

Clicky

40 million for a keeper though, thats just stupid money.

I'm not too sure about Van Der Varrt. Great player sure, but does tend to loose his rag quite quickly, resulting in unnecessary yellow and red cards. Not really a leader either, just look at the way Hamburg struggled through the season, with him as captain, although they did improve enourmously towards the end. On the other hand, this could have been valuble experience for him. But comparing the Bundesliga to the premiership is not being very realistic. Juzst see the way Hipselperger has grown into the Stuttgart team, and become champions!

Do you see my point?

Thanks for helping me explain a bit. And as someone else said, it's easier to be a good keeper in a bad team when you have to make saves upon saves. You're kept warm. But true good keepers save their team in a game when he's had almost nothing to do and a chanse comes out of nothing. Like Sörensen against Liverpool at VP. And to a bit against Watford and Sheff Utd if IIRC. Not tha last game against sheff, though.

And it is not opinions it's just pure bull to say that an unproven goalkeeper from Watford is superior than a proven national player from Denmark who's been called one of the best in the world by someone like Buffon. That just ain't right. It's like saying I'm better than Ronaldinho. It's simply just not true, not about opinions.

Hello? Sorensen has always been a keeper in a poor team! Sorry but for a long time Villa have been crap. Not as crap as some but, well, crap. And before that Sorensen played for Sunderland. Crap. The fact that he signed for villa after being relegated for 2.5m and we had no real challengers for his signature says it all. You can compare foster and sorensen because when sorensen has played for relegation threatened team he hasn't put anything like the performances that foster has. So not bull at all pal.

Naismith on Villa's radar

May 22 2007

By Lisa Smith

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has sparked fresh speculation that he may be looking to snap up Scottish Under-21 striker Steven Naismith after taking a scouting trip north of the border.

O'Neill was in the stands at Rugby Park on Sunday to see the 20-year-old Kilmarnock striker score the only goal of the game from the penalty spot to crush Hearts' hopes of Uefa Cup football next season.

The Villa boss joined a crowd of 11,000 to see the highly-rated youngster slot home the penalty which he himself won after being brought down in the box.

While the Scottish press have themselves been speculating that O'Neill was also viewing Hearts' keeper Craig Gordon, there is little doubt in Killie manager Jim Jefferies' mind who is top of the Northern Irishman's shopping list.

Naismith only extended his contract with Kilmarnock last season and is tied to the club until 2010.

But Jefferies has conceded that the player - who is also attracting interest from Rangers and Bristol City - could be tempted away for a fee in the region of £1.5 million.

Jefferies also accepts that the Premiership and the chance to play at Villa would be a major draw to a player eager to make his way in the world.

Naismith is a product of Kilmarnock's youth structure and has recorded an impressive 20 goals in 42 appearances in the Scottish Premier League this season.

Jefferies said: "We don't want to lose Naismith but there is money that we could not turn down. Teams should be aware however we won't give him away cheap."

Rangers are also thought to be considering a summer bid for the striker who had a trial with Arsenal earlier in the season while Bristol City boss Gary Johnson was also spotted watching the action.

Villa have so far refused to confirm or deny their interest in the Scot but he would be a much cheaper option than Robbie Keane or Jermaine Defoe who O'Neill is also said to be considering to boost his firepower next season.

Jefferies said: "I have not had any inquiries but I would be surprised if we don't get any.

"If we do, we will deal with it, but we have checked his contract and, rather than two years that some thought, he has three years of it left with us.

"I don't think he would be too disappointed if he stayed with us as he is loving it here and is guaranteed a game for us."

Naismith said: "I'll just have to wait until the summer and see what happens.

"I'm not going to say that I will stay because there might be something that comes in that's too good for me or the club to turn down."

Clicky

Do we really want a player who is attracting the attention of Bristol City!!

The trouble with MON is that he is too loyal, deals for Berger and Delaney, and letting Sutton take the summer to decide his future prove that. The salaries of these players could be used to bring in 2 players who could make us a top six side.

Lets get rid of the deadwood and look for quality, if the club wants to sell 24,000 + season tickets both MON and the Board will have to show REAL ambition.