Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid is decent no doubt but he's not gonna be anywhere near the likes of Lampard or Gerrard imo

He probably isn't, no. There was probably a bit of hyperbole on the part of the original poster in my opinion.

But then again, what was Gerrard doing for Liverpool at age 20, in his breakthrough season? If memory serves he played a couple of dozen games, scoring once.

Gardner seems to be following a similar career trajectory so far.

I know I'm a bit of a Gardner groupie but Craig said the other day that Barry had a word with him about taking a chance on making runs to feed off Carews flick ons and if you watch the match tapes back he looks just like a young Gerrard in the way he makes those clever marauding runs into the box, and then he demonstrated Lampards ability to hit a sweet volley. If you look at the header that Carew glanced wide not only did Gardner start the move but he then ran twenty yards knocking a Bolton player flat on the way to arrive and fling himself perfectly at a cross that Carew got the skin of his forehead to.

ml1dch, you're probably right about the hyperbole, but this guy is a quick learner with all the equipment to go all the way, imo long term injury is the only thing that could stop him.

I'd agree with all that. He was also waiting just behind Luke Moore had he missed his volley.

So because Gardner has had a few good games (we finished 11th mind) and finished a volley like Lampard does, we shouldn't be buying a new central midfielder? Now see that's the mentality I am afraid of, it's dangerous to big up your talents and place too much responsibility on his shoulders.

They've been showned the door today....out with "dead meat"...MON should do the same.

We are. Samuel and Hendrie aren't having their contracts renewed.

You can't just boot somebody if their contract still has time on it, which isn't the case with the five Newcastle players.

Of course you can. Pay them and send them away...easy as that! We do have a few I would like to see MON practice that on.

They've been showned the door today....out with "dead meat"...MON should do the same.

You can't just boot somebody if their contract still has time on it, which isn't the case with the five Newcastle players.

Of course you can. Pay them and send them away...easy as that! We do have a few I would like to see MON practice that on.

Just how many are you thinking of? Djemba-Djemba we will get a transfer fee for, Samuel & Hendrie aint been renewed... There isn't anyone in the squad other than that I'd like to get rid of. I'd sell a few, sure, but wouldn't just 'pay them off'.

Get rid of Mark Delaney as well, I know he is capable when fit but he never is so let's just cut the ties. Bring in someone young and exciting and we are better off.

Part of the Lerner/MON thing is to freshen up Villa and part of that is to get rid of the old regime.

Get rid of Mark Delaney as well, I know he is capable when fit but he never is so let's just cut the ties.

I'd actually forgot about our Mark, bless him... :?

So what would be the point of paying up their contracts and just letting them leave?

Why not just continue to pay them their contracts on a weekly basis and have them at the club if we need them, like we're doing at the moment?

So because Gardner has had a few good games (we finished 11th mind) and finished a volley like Lampard does, we shouldn't be buying a new central midfielder?

The purchase of a new centre midfielder depends almost entirely on where MON sees Gareth Barry playing next season. A few months ago i thought a centre midfield player was an absolute priority when our options were McCann, Davis & Petrov. If our options for next season were Barry, Petrov & Gardner (whilst still potentially having McCann & Davis aswell), i don't see the centre midfield slot as one MON needs to fill, especially when the names bandied about are Barton, Sidwell & Reo-Coker, all inferior midfield players to Barry as far as i'm concerned.

So because Gardner has had a few good games (we finished 11th mind) and finished a volley like Lampard does, we shouldn't be buying a new central midfielder? Now see that's the mentality I am afraid of, it's dangerous to big up your talents and place too much responsibility on his shoulders.
That's not my point Rocafella, if we can sign the likes of Wesley Sneijder and Sidwell etc then we should do because we need a talented squad that will not let us down from november to january when injuries start to take there toll. Equally because the parnership of Laursen and Mellberg is looking good it shouldn't stop us from signing a class centre back. What I am saying about the likes of Gardner is that we shouldn't be afraid to promote really talented young players if they continue to show top form and ability.

As to your comment "we only finished 11th mind," was it a coincidence that we went on a run which topped the premiership form league and dispelled relegation worries with the return from injury of players like Laursen and Gardner?

I don't like Kenny at all. Don't think he's very good. Maybe as a cover-up if he's better than Taylor, but still, we have to improve more than that, IMO. Would anyone here be happy with his try to save Youngs shot? :?

i think gardner looks a superb prospect but i think we need to bring in a real quality defensive midfield player to partner Barry

I'd also like to see a fast skillfull left footed player similar to young to play on the left that way we would have great attacking options down both flanks.

TBH it doesn't leave much room for petrov, but then again i think if we want to have a strong squad next season it's nice to have problems like that.

Throw in a right back, distin on a free, boruc in goal and bent/viduka upfront and i'll be a very happy chappy.

TBH it doesn't leave much room for petrov

I don't think he has been anywhere - ANYWHERE - near as bad as some people have made out.

But he has work to do if he is going to be up to standard next season; and although he went some way to doing that once partnered with Barry, if he is to be replaced, so be it. That said, it should just be more about a case of competition, and no-one should be 'replaced' in my vision of Villa, unless they are leaving the club.

What we need, IMO, is competition for places over the entire park, whether it be Petrov, Sorenson, Mellberg, Carew or even Captain Barry - no-one in the team should be in the comfort zone that too many of our payers have in recent years.