E-Readers

PussEKatt

I am thinking about buying an E-Reader.I don`t read a lot ( about 1 book a month ) so I am not after an expensive one.

So, are the free books that you can download any good ?

Can you read a 7" screen ok ?

Anything else that may be relevant to pass on ?

• If you read before sleeping, don't get a backlit screen, unless it's monochrome (ie. white only)
  • If you read outdoors (on holiday), buy a kindle or e-ink type display
  • Avoid the extra weight / thickness of a touch screen
  • All the free books are free, you can get them on your PC if you want to look at them. Asking if particular books are good in a tech thread won't get you far :)

I have a kindle and also read regularly on a Nexus 7. Both are great..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread I know but... does anybody have a Kindle Fire HD?

If so, would you recommend it? Thinking of getting my other half a Kindle for Christmas, just trying to decide between the original Kindle, or a Fire for an extra £20 (if I buy from Tesco I have enough clubcard points to negate this extra cost). She will use it to read but I'm thinking it may get more use with all the extras that make it more of a tablet and therefore money better spent? Or do these extras just detract from what the product is meant to be?

Thanks for any advice.

I wouldn't recommend anything with a backlight if it's going to be used for bedtime reading.

Kindle Fire is locked to Amazon's app store and can't use the Google Play store.

• 11 months later...

I've been playing with my partners kindle, and I must say i like it, i really didn't think I'd get on with an E-Reader.

Now this may sound like a really silly question, but what would be the advantage of buying a dedicated E-Reader as opposed to just buying a tablet and downloading the Kindle app?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, it seemed like the most appropriate thread for the question. 

I've been playing with my partners kindle, and I must say i like it, i really didn't think I'd get on with an E-Reader.

Now this may sound like a really silly question, but what would be the advantage of buying a dedicated E-Reader as opposed to just buying a tablet and downloading the Kindle app?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, it seemed like the most appropriate thread for the question. 

I tried reading on an ipad and a nexus tablet using the kindle app and it absolutely fried my eyes. The screen on the Kindle Paperwhite is considerably more forgiving, particularly in either end of extreme lighting. Well worth the investment.

If you read before bed, do not use anything with a backlight. The blue light tricks your brain into thinking it's morning.

I hugely prefer the Kindles with physical buttons to change page as you can easily use them one handed.

I tried reading on an ipad and a nexus tablet using the kindle app and it absolutely fried my eyes. The screen on the Kindle Paperwhite is considerably more forgiving, particularly in either end of extreme lighting. Well worth the investment.

Thanks for the reply. 

My missues has the HDX which is kind of a tablet in itself. Based on your comment regarding the lighting, would you recommended the paperwhite over the HDX?

I tend to buy physical books as its probably one of the very few things I am actually materialistic about.

However it would aid my life to be able to have both versions (ie kindle version also).

In US Amazon have released something called Matchbook where you can buy kindle version for between$1-3 if you already own the physical version. Its been two years and it is still not on the horizon in UK.

Nothing to be done about it really but just a bit of a moan.

The other option is to read them in under a week and then "return" the kindle version which has worked a surprising number of times. I am sure they will be a block to that at some stage though!

I've been playing with my partners kindle, and I must say i like it, i really didn't think I'd get on with an E-Reader.Now this may sound like a really silly question, but what would be the advantage of buying a dedicated E-Reader as opposed to just buying a tablet and downloading the Kindle app?

Thanks for the reply. 

My missues has the HDX which is kind of a tablet in itself. Based on your comment regarding the lighting, would you recommended the paperwhite over the HDX?

I'm not familiar with the HDX, but the paperweight is almost nothing like looking at a screen, it's hard to describe really, but I'd highly recommend it over any other tablet similar to the nexus or the ipad for reading

• 1 year later...

Anyone own a Kindle ereader, I am thinking of buying my wife one and as I am a Prime customer I assume she can take advantage of the free Kindle books for prime customers they announced last week.

Edited by mykeyb

Just now, mykeyb said:

Anyone own a Kindle ereader, I am thinking of buying my wife one and as I am a Prime customer I assume she can take advantage of the free Kindle books for prime customers they announced last week.

I've got two. What do you want to know?

Personally I'd recommend one with the hardware page turn buttons.

Â