The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

I don't think either was crap...

Hee Hee :D

Dissing the Dylan brings an automatic response from the Moonster :)

Of course it does. He's produced a few turkeys, but the guy is a true master.
  • Like 1

... but the guy is a true master

Oh aye, but he got there in spite of his voice, not because of it.

I beg to differ. If he'd been an anonymous songwriter, or a smooth-voiced crooner, he would never have had the same impact. That Woody Guthrie wannabe nasal whine was what got him noticed. And it was PERFECT for the material. "Like a Rolling Stone" by anybody else? Nah.
  • Like 1

Then we'll have to disagree, I don't reckon that voice without the songs wouldn't have got nearly as far :)

Well, yeah. I didn't claim that. His first album was mostly folk covers, and stiffed. The second was all originals and made him a superstar. My argument is that it was both voice and songs.

That said, Peter, Paul and Mary had the first hit with their bland version of Blowin' in the Wind, so you may have a point.

Yeah, he had a Danelectro - although mine's the 12 string version. £325. I really wanted a Rickenbacker, but that would have added another thousand quid to the price.

Nice guitar but your reluctance to spend your own money on yourself, will haunt me all day. :angry:

It's not that straightforward. The Rick 360/12 is massively overpriced, trading on its image. I do like that image, but as I'm now pretty much a hobby guitarist, not gigging, spending £1500 + on a toy is just a waste. And the missus would kill me (I haven't even owned up to the Danelectro yet...) :)

Yeah, he had a Danelectro - although mine's the 12 string version. £325. I really wanted a Rickenbacker, but that would have added another thousand quid to the price.

Nice guitar but your reluctance to spend your own money on yourself, will haunt me all day. :angry:

It's not that straightforward. The Rick 360/12 is massively overpriced, trading on its image. I do like that image, but as I'm now pretty much a hobby guitarist, not gigging, spending £1500 + on a toy is just a waste. And the missus would kill me (I haven't even owned up to the Danelectro yet...) :)

There is a lot to be said for operating below the guilt-threshold, in that when you see something else in the future, you can remind yourself of your self-denial this time round.  :D

• Like 1

There is a lot to be said for operating below the guilt-threshold, in that when you see something else in the future, you can remind yourself of your self-denial this time round. :D

That's very true. I sort of feel I now have a spare grand that I can spend on something else!
  • Like 1

That's very true. I sort of feel I now have a spare grand that I can spend on something else!

ws4pvp.jpg

A Dean guitar, some spandex and a poodle wig?

:detect:

The very essence of an axe.

It is utterly **** ing hideous.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

the talk about the Danelectro had reignited my desire for a few retro guitars and have found this currently on e-bay, if the price stays reasonable might have a dabble, would prefer the eastwood airline reissue with the working blend control, but can't currently find even a new one and when i could they were around £650

harmony_stratotone_1.jpg
adult photo sharing

• Like 1

Crap voices didn't stop Dylan or Jansch.

I don't think either was crap, although they weren't 'conventionally good'. They were distinctive and quirky. Same with Neil Young.

Yep. Character beats technique every time.

Â