Colombia?

b23avfc

Work for one of the worlds largest IT organisations. TBF they do take security pretty seriously, armed guards when we were in Nigeria and Saudi etc

There was an opportunity to go there a few years back but it was stopped and we let locals (and ironically one of the Spanish team) go instead

Must admit when I went over that neck of the woods I decided against visiting , changed planes there and even that was risky enough but there had been some form of bomb a few days before I was there and security was immense

Tbf I know lots of people who have been to Bogota and said its perfectly safe , I think it's if you go right out in the sticks things are not so safe

Be interesting to see what you make of the place

• 1 month later...

Small update for the two people that noticed I was still gone :)

I decided to stay for two months, paid a chunk to change some of the flights, and got a credit for changing another flight.

Not because of the women. Though its quite true. Although the phrase "hechas" has been used by a lot of Colombian women I know regarding a lot of other colombianas :)

Yep there's poverty. Yes you can grease a palm. But generally it's way safer than the western world taught us. Way safer.

Just don't watch the TV news. It's ridiculously insane

Isn't it the case that if you bring a JPA Villa shirt, people will think you're a gangster of some description or another?

Apparently not, at least nobody I've spoken to knows that. But he is really well known, so a good few conversations have started from wearing my villa shirt.

Been nice knowing you Damo!

I think I'm still alive. And not pregnant or kidnapped. Result

Must admit when I went over that neck of the woods I decided against visiting , changed planes there and even that was risky enough but there had been some form of bomb a few days before I was there and security was immense

Tbf I know lots of people who have been to Bogota and said its perfectly safe , I think it's if you go right out in the sticks things are not so safe

Be interesting to see what you make of the place

So far so good. Haven't heard any nightmare stories either. Friends in Cali did tell me where to avoid but that's the same in many countries including UK.

It's pretty cool, in fact I extended my stay! Edited by b23avfc

how do we know its really you? you could be an imposter thats currently got damo tied up in a basement for his own sexual gratification and your posting on here to try and make out his safe and sound?

how do we know its really you? you could be an imposter thats currently got damo tied up in a basement for his own sexual gratification and your posting on here to try and make out his safe and sound?

Foiled.

• 4 weeks later...

Beware. You  may be grilled to death and have the entire contents of your backpack and suitcase emptied out by security upon return. grr

I'm glad my tip off worked :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â