Mobile devices not going to latest post

tonyh29

Question

When I use the site on my phone (iPhone)

In off topic when I click a thread it takes me to the last reply in the thread (perfect )

However in Villatalk when I click a topic it always takes me to the first page of the thread (and also the gaming forum when unjust tried it )

Edit: I clicked on the Bennett thread and it took me to the last post , the Weimann thread when I clicked took me to the first page , however the Lambert thread took me to page 58 ... A bit random

Anyone else get this problem ? Or am I somehow clicking differently between the threads / forums ?

When I use the site on my phone (iPhone)

In off topic when I click a thread it takes me to the last reply in the thread (perfect )

However in Villatalk when I click a topic it always takes me to the first page of the thread (and also the gaming forum when unjust tried it )

Edit: I clicked on the Bennett thread and it took me to the last post , the Weimann thread when I clicked took me to the first page , however the Lambert thread took me to page 58 ... A bit random

Anyone else get this problem ? Or am I somehow clicking differently between the threads / forums ?

I think this should have gone in a new thread to help others. It looks like the first time you open a thread on a mobile, it assumes you haven't seen the thread before and opens at the beginning. If you go to the last page then next time you open the thread it goes to the right place. A bit of a pain, but I'm sure it'll get fixed in a future version. I believe this doesn't happen in the app.

Not sure if this has been covered before, in 'mobile' mode when I go to a new topic how can I got to the last page without pressing next all the way to the end?

The workaround I've been doing has been to temporarily switch to the full site, hit the » key and then back to mobile.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

No, nothing has been changed. I'm guessing that after some use, you've now done something that's caused the threads to sync (possibly by marking the whole forum as read). I've still not seen this issue myself, but I do "mark all read" quite often.

No, nothing has been changed. I'm guessing that after some use, you've now done something that's caused the threads to sync (possibly by marking the whole forum as read). I've still not seen this issue myself, but I do "mark all read" quite often.

I strongly suspect that that's the trick...

I don't have any of those issues, and I've been religious about marking all as read since the days of the old site.

Yeah I have this issue too - very annoying having to click next so many times.

Surely a last page button could be added

If you use "mark forum read" from time to time the issue doesn't happen. 40% of the site's traffic is from mobile devices and very few people are reporting this issue. Have you tried a different browser? and clearing out the cookies and cache on your current browser?

I don't know that you need to do that. I do mark forums read from time to time and it doesn't happen for me. This doesn't describe a causal link. If I'm to report this to the software company I need certain information as described at the top of the forum. I've never been able to reproduce it.

The old site was a nightmare to use if you didn't mark things read from time to time. Forums this size do tend to confuse some browsers. I think that marking a forum read resets the "last post read" pointers and it stops this issue.

Just to update

Even now I have done mark forum read the issue still persists...slightly.

I am now sent to a few pages back - better than being sent to the middle or wherever I was sent previously. Tough to know as there are no numbers at all.

This thread is for an issue where a small number of mobile users go to the first page of a thread if they've not marked the forum as read. No-one has previously reported an issue where you go to the middle of threads. Is the page you are taken to the last page you marked read, or is it some random page?

Can you read the notes at the top of the forum and confirm you have cleared your cookies and cache and supply the OS and browser you are using?

Right I've been trying to take notice and I can confirm the following.

I am being sent to the last page I read and when I do "mark all read" the issue is gone. I didn't realise I would need to continuously have to "mark all read".

Just by way of feedback and I guess I am stating the obvious here but it is not ideal having to continuously do that...

I am telling you this to try and help because I like the site. I imagine other people just get frustrated at how difficult it is to navigate around the new mobile site.

Thanks for the info.

Please can you tell me what browser and OS you are using? Does it still occur after clearing cookies and cache in your browser? (These are from the instructions at the top of the forum. They really are important and I've asked you multiple times.)

40% of our traffic is mobile. I've never seen this happen on any of my mobile devices. This issue is only seems to  affect a small number of people.

Â