Melody or lyrics?

Pelle

What's most important, the melody or the lyrics?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What's most important, the melody or the lyrics?

• Melody
    • Lyrics

Just a simple question: What's most important for a good song, the melody or the lyrics?

For me it's the melody. That's what making a song, well, a song. Otherwise you could read a poem. Though having said that a song with a great melody and great lyrics is a better song than a song with just a great melody.

[sidenote]I think melody is the right english word for what I mean, but please correct me if I'm wrong[/sidenote]

not as simple as the question suggests, like Patrick says depends on the song, some songs are lyric driven some melody / harmony

For example - Elvis Costello, Billy Bragg etc etc definately Lyrically driven

Sigur Ros on the other hand - its the tune and nothing but the tune because I cant understand a word of Icelandic, the voice becomes part of the melody / harmony in much the same way as Elizabeth Frazer's voice did with the Cocteau Twins

There also plenty of other artists where both the words and the melody / harmony are important in equal amounts, The Stone Roses, REM would be good examples here (though early REM wouldnt be as Michael Stipe was far more interested back then with the voice as an instrument rather than the lurics actually meaning somethnig)

Not voting as a consequence

its the tune and nothing but the tune because I cant understand a word of Icelandic, the voice becomes part of the melody / harmony

Thats the idea Bicks. The guy from Sigur Ros isn't actually singing in Icelandic, he's just using made up words - for the effect you just described.

its the tune and nothing but the tune because I cant understand a word of Icelandic, the voice becomes part of the melody / harmony

Thats the idea Bicks. The guy from Sigur Ros isn't actually singing in Icelandic, he's just using made up words - for the effect you just described.

Incorrect, the made up language was only for Sven-g-englar period Sigur Ros. Last album was pure icelandic (Takk on the whole was too) - you can't out Sigur Ros me (blandy might be able to though :mrgreen: )

In fact the last album was a traditional style Icelandic story set to music :roll:

Incorrect, the made up language was only for Sven-g-englar period Sigur Ros. Last album was pure icelandic (Takk on the whole was too) - you can't out Sigur Ros me (blandy might be able to though :mrgreen: )

In fact the last album was a traditional style Icelandic story set to music :roll:

I bow down to your superior knowledge. I'll get back to my metal. :twisted:

Â