Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

So at the halftime stage of the season we've scored the least amounts of goals (15) out of all teams and have the worst goal diffrence (-21) in the league.

Looking a bit closer at these stats you see that in the first half we have a goal diffrence of 8-9, but in the second half our goal diffrence is 7-27!

Between minute 61-75 we have only scored 1 goal but conceded 10!

There is something very wrong here, why is it that we completely fall apart after the break?

You completely ignored the very good point that the Norwich fan made. In case you didn't realise, they were talking about teams and how many they conceded last season. Norwich conceded a lot at the back and were poor defensively. This season under the same manager we are conceding a lot and are at times poor defensively. He didn't claim Lambert was a bad manager, he wasn't bad-mouthing the guy. Why when people are talking about defensive records do you talk about Norwich's 3 previous seasons?

Well spotted skarroki, I only meant, from our experience, Lambert doesn't do defence, Hughton does, at the expense of our attack imo.

When you put 4 past our B side (in effect it was!) in the LC game I was not surprised one bit, Lambert was often gung ho in our formations after substitutions.

But defense wise, I'd be worried if he was still our man, and thats not sour grapes.

So at the halftime stage of the season we've scored the least amounts of goals (15) out of all teams and have the worst goal diffrence (-21) in the league.

Looking a bit closer at these stats you see that in the first half we have a goal diffrence of 8-9, but in the second half our goal diffrence is 7-27!

There is something very wrong here, why is it that we completely fall apart after the break?

Probably because the opposition HT team talk goes something like - hit villa down the flanks, their full backs are shit

When you put 4 past our B side (in effect it was!) in the LC game I was not surprised one bit

Oh come on Wiz that was barely your B side and you know it, it was just as much your B team as ours was our second string that night.

Oh come on Wiz that was barely your B side and you know it, it was just as much your B team as ours was our second string that night.

No Tetty, Turner, Garrido and Hooli for starters, they're big players for us.

I won't come on this site and slag Lambert off, he was a brilliant manager for us, but, he doesn't do defence and defending. Now, you can get away with that in the lower divisions, higher up? hmm?

Last year we rode our luck at times but managed ok, had he stayed at Norwich who knows?

But he should given another transfer window at least.

And yet people will tell you that we're obviously improving from last year.

We average less points a game, we score less goals and we concede more goals.

On the odd occassion i've seen some improvements in the way we play. But in the things that really matter I'm struggling to see this obvious improvement.

Just for you BJ - five match rolling average of McL's last 19 games and PL's first 19 games - I've also added in a moving average trendline to make it easy for you

This clearly shows a slow decline under McL and a slow improvement under Lambert

Edit : can anyone tell me how to attach an Excel Chart

Edited by VillaCas

But you just pick a time that suits you. And it's hardly improvement worth singing from the rooftops.

Looking at all of last season and this and in the things that matter there doesn't seem to be improvement at this point in the season.

No I don't, I've picked the last 12 months??? What other period would be more applicable???

If I could find out how to attach an Excel chart I don't think you could argue

Edited by VillaCas

Improvement will be slow and stuttering

3 more points from PL's first 19 games than McL's last 19 shows a small improvement

I don't think you can call +3- points an improvement in any way. In that sense only standings in the table would be a true sign, and obviously we are 16th and the same as we finished last season. I would say it is totally the same and thus far even worse in terms of consistency.

- We have scored virtually no goals

- We have just let in 8 and 4 goals in the last two games

- We have no set attacking pattern, making it very difficult to expect something any given game, which is very frustrating at least for me

- Our consistency is very patchy

- Very few players keep form over a long period of time, lots of our players go from decent to terrible in one game

- People don't show up for games, a sign that they expect us to play badly or just don't play entertaining football. Attendance vs. Wigan will be pathetic, I fear

It's not a godgiven right to challenge top 6 or even top 10 for a club like Aston Villa, or Newcastle or Fulham for that matter. But we have to remember that Lambert did have money, he did buy the players he wanted and thus far it has failed. Football is about short-term and long-term, but you cannot always forsake short-term success with blind faith in what will happen in three years. I believed the approach this summer was naive. He ousted players that struggled last season, I think he should have given them some time to show us what they were good for. He purchased cheap and young players from lower divisions, too many of them combined with a young pool already here is very, very risky. Well not risky, risk is the same as uncertainty. I was certain they would struggle collectively because young players lack the composure and assurance more experienced players have. Talent and ability, no matter how old you are, will always win over less talent, but it is clear for me to see that our players are struggling now because of fear from relegation and poor games. Against Tottenham I saw a side with absolutely no confidence, players like Lowton, Bennett and Westwood were much too afraid of making mistakes rather than playing freely.

I regard myself as an objective and not overly optimistic fan at the moment. We need a few of those as well, because if you only have fans with blind faith and no input for critical views then what is the point with a forum? I would also like to stress that I am a fan of Lambert as a person, I do like the fact that we buy cheap, young talents instead of giving 100K wages to players willing to play for any team for that reason alone. I would not like to sack Lambert at all, but I am honest enough to say that his approach thus far has been a failure and our position in this league is very uncertain. I hope we mix up our squad a bit in January, there are always players available who can give us that extra boost. I am not saying we should go for a 34 year-old with bags of experience for the sake of it, but I hope we just don't go for 3x Jordan Bowery's at 100K each. Search the loan market, maybe Chelsea or Arsenal can lend us some players? Robbie Keane came here, vastly experienced and just keen on scoring goals, and he did a good job for us in those few months. We need those kind of players in our position.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1