Ni no Kuni

hogso

What's the difficulty like, is it challenging?

Ehhh. I wouldn't call it very hard, no. At least not so far. I haven't died in a boss fight yet, and the only times I have died is when I have ignored my HP bar entirely for a few fights, and I'm suddenly surprised when it flashes red and I can't heal in time. Outside of battles, with your side quests and that, the game goes to great lengths to let you know where to go and what to do, en't it?

Edited by hogso

It has two difficulties, Easy and Normal. I'm playing on Normal, I think Hogso is too, and I haven't died in a fight yet either. That doesn't mean it's too easy either, and I'm not very far in yet so I'm not the greatest judge I suppose. I've been hunting to catch every familiar I've ran into as an enemy so far which doubles as good XP grinding. I guess you get out what you put into it like most JRPG's.

For me personally, I think I'd find Easy a bit too easy, but if you just want it for the wondrous experience it is, then play on that difficulty level.

Still haven't caught a damn Bonehead...

If you're still grinding for familiars Ginko, there's an area in the south east of that desert which let's you climb up on to that rocky mountainous looking bit, which at first glance looks inaccessible. There are second form familiars up there which are decent, although I never managed to get any, just used them for levelling my new low level familiars.

And although I do have a Bone Head, I never really use it...but it is in my 'team' at the mo so it will level, cos I have a whole bunch of moon drops, so I'll be able to evolve it when it's ready. The above area is good for getting those various drops too, I guess cos they're a higher level they drop more interesting stuff.

Oh cool, thanks for the tip. I'm beyond the enemies in the desert to be fair so levelling against some tougher opponents would be good. There's a couple of good familiars at Old Smokey apparently, Little Bighorn and Shrimpaler. They're my next targets after a Bonehead finally falls in love with me...

Did you get it on release? Completing it in less than a week is insane!

I finally got my Bonehead. I've finished Ol' Smokey but still hanging around to try and catch a Little Bighorn and it is proving a pain...

Edited by Ginko

how much did you guys pay for it?

amazon emailed me and said it wouldnt be dispatched until the 26th so i scrapped that, their price has gone up from £35 to £45, its £50 on psn, if i cant get it by friday im tempted to download it instead

Did you get it on release? Completing it in less than a week is insane!

I finally got my Bonehead. I've finished Ol' Smokey but still hanging around to try and catch a Little Bighorn and it is proving a pain...

Got it last thursday what can i say one addictive game :P

Pretty impressive Ash! I still have a long long way to go.

how much did you guys pay for it?

amazon emailed me and said it wouldnt be dispatched until the 26th so i scrapped that, their price has gone up from £35 to £45, its £50 on psn, if i cant get it by friday im tempted to download it instead

I paid £60, but that was the wizards edition. Online its sold out most everywhere, although Shop To still have it listed as in stock for £39.

Good signs though, top of the sales charts this week, and in demand after selling out most places - it needed good sales for a sequel to get the green light, as, somewhat surprisingly, it wasn't a massive success in Japan.

Edited by hogso

Interesting that it didn't do well in Japan... I wonder why? Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that it's set in a very European fairytale world... still though, it certainly is strange.

I've heard before that Ghibli as a company aren't viewed with a great deal of respect these days in Japan since selling to Disney. I'm not entirely sure of the politics or how true this is but I think their film sales and general aura aren't anywhere near what they were in the late 80s/90s. I think Ghibli these days definitely target its western audience before its Japanese.

Played through by far my favourite section of the game so far today. It'll take some topping, as the whole thing was near perfect.

And here I was thinking the game wouldn't go anywhere near any innuendo. I was wrong. Haaaaa ^_____^

Edited by hogso

• 2 weeks later...
Â