S2 better than S3?

Guest av1

Mods and members, I apologise if this should have gone in the Android thread but this is specially a s range question. Please move if appropriate.

I've just upgraded from a S2 to S3 and and two weeks I'm finding lots of things that my new phone can't do that I was able to do on the older handset.

A few of the top of my head, when I went onto a website with my old handset every number was highlighted, thus I could just press the number and my phone would dial it, this doesn't seem to be the case with my new phone.

On my old handset whatever site I was on, I could hold my finger on a picture and be offered the chance to copy or share. On this handset I'm unable to do that.

I've had a quick look though the android thread and I'm not ashamed to say it's largely over my head (I'm not very tecky) I'm sure this (upgraded) handset must be able to do all the things it's predecessor was able to do so can someone talk me through idiot style?

At the moment my S2 seems a far better phone.

Thankyou in advance

Colin.

Are you sure you're not using a different browser now? Perhaps you were using Dolphin or something before, but now you're using the built-in browser?

Are you sure you're not using a different browser now? Perhaps you were using Dolphin or something before, but now you're using the built-in browser?

Mate I hate to sound stupid (as a electrical engineer you would think I'd understand all this stuff) but I'm not to clued up with the internal stuff so to speak. It just seems the basic stuff the S2 did, this doesn't. I need a dummies explanation ;-) appreciate your help.

For instance. This is meant to be much quicker, well I used to watch villa every Saturday on my phone (if I wasn't there) I'd watch F1every Sunday (since it moved from bbc, I don't have sky) I tried to watch the have v chirsa (sp ) the other day and could not muster 5/6 seconds without this phone stopping to buffer.

Again, no such problems on my S2. Am I doing something wrong?

Just download Google Chrome and use that as your default browser, it's the best by far. As for the streaming that's down to the internet connection and the streaming sites servers. The hardware in the S3 is much more powerful than the S2.

S3 is a much better phone than the S2 anyway.

Wasn't the phone number highlighting disabled due to an Apple patent?

If that is indeed true - my hatred for that bunch of knobs has just significantly increased.

IIRC, Apple sued HTC over phone number highlighting and won (at least in the States). There are workarounds apprently which basically preserve the functionality without infringing the patent.

However, it's pretty clear that, as Apple is Samsung's biggest customer, with the S3, Samsung has decided to keep Apple happy and disable features and designs that are legal but piss Apple off. It's why there will probably never be another black Samsung smartphone, for instance.

I'm not up to speed on all this patent war thing.

But surely it's not Apple's fault they were allowed to patent a colour, or whatever else they patented?

And once they've done it, they have every right to protect that patent.

Is this just another Apple bashing stick? Would anyone be bothered if it was HTC doing it to Samsung?

Again, maybe I'm way off the mark, I'm not exactly up to speed.

But surely it's not Apple's fault they were allowed to patent a colour, or whatever else they patented?

Is this just another Apple bashing stick? Would anyone be bothered if it was HTC doing it to Samsung?

To be fair Stevo I think they are all as guilty as each other. But any system that allows for patenting obvious stuff like colour/swipe to unlock on a touch screen etc is just stupid.

Apple Sue Samsung over phone technology just because they can...the main reason for suing Samsung is to delay their products so Apple can sell more whilst it takes about 3 Months for the judge to tell Apple they are idiots for suing Samsung over such trivial matters.

Jobs just wanted to spend all of Apples cash in this stupid patent war. The problem is of course America, they allowed all these stupid patents to be granted and Apple has lost most of it's patent battles in Europe. But seems to win them in the US.

At the end of the day, it just results in work arounds. Like slide to unlock feature? change it to drag circle out of bigger circle to unlock. Is it really worth suing to protect slide to unlock? I think they lost that patent in Europe as it was argued people associate sliding with a bolt of a door.

It's a stupid stupid patent war and the blame for it is squarely on Apple, plain and simple. Mainly Steve Jobs pathetic vengeance. What needs to happen is everyone vs Apple needs to happen. Apple need the use of far more patents than they actually own so if everyone gangs up on Apple then they will be forced to stop this nonsense.

It needs to stop one way or another. Hopefully with Motorola patents loaned to Android handset manufacturers to counter sue Apple.

Sammy buying Nokia would be another maybe less left field scenario too that would give Samsung a massive amount of patents. Plus they are already partners with Microsoft to they may be unopposed by them in such an aquesition.

Exactly. So it's the sytem's fault.

Just because the system allows it, doesn't mean they should abuse it. See here for how another major brand approaches these things.

Exactly.

And it's not like people can claim "if they didn't patent it then someone else will" because the entire patent system is built around the concept of prior art, so if someone has done it before, you CAN'T patent it.

Apple have made it a business decision to patent everything they can, and to fight for market share in the court rooms rather than in the marketplace.

At the end of the day, it just results in work arounds. Like slide to unlock feature? change it to drag circle out of bigger circle to unlock. Is it really worth suing to protect slide to unlock? I think they lost that patent in Europe as it was argued people associate sliding with a bolt of a door.

Lets not forget their recent claim in court regarding that patent, that a tap is actually a zero length swipe.

I didn't know they claimed that. Very amusing.

But some of the patents they have been granted are baffling though, they were granted patents on nearly anything they wanted. How they got a patent to search more than one place at a time and got the Nexus banned is a joke to be honest

Â