Calling Perth Villains....or other Aussies!

Walmley_Villa

I certainly would declare Melbourne as being one of the cities you should visit, mate - but as many posters above have said, Perth is a terrific city, bloody hot, and also a bloody long way from anywhere!!

Go for it, dude - I moved here from Sutton over 8 years ago and my only regret is that I didn't move here 18 years ago.

Enjoy Oz - it's a terrifically fascinating country.

W-Villa, just make sure you are definately going to do it - last year, a very good mate of mine and his wife came here to settle permanently.

While my mate was happy here and was working hard to make the move here work for them, she never settled, she cried all the time, saying that "it's not home". So after 6 weeks of her bleating and whingeing, they went back to the UK - my mate was totally gutted and distraught about having to move back to the UK, while she was as happy as larry.

Point is, make doubly sure that this is what you BOTH want to do.

Right, In the balance....it's all down to Ossie Schools. Eldest has turned 15 today and is at KE Aston Grammar School. Youngest is 11 and at Private School in Lichfield. Sell me Ossie Education?

Sorry for the delayed response mate - can only speak for Melbourne, but there are plenty of good private schools here, providing what my wife reckons (she's a teacher here) a pretty good standard of education, and the schools methods of teaching is in some ways more advanced from the UK (but I don't know details). My lads both go the same private school, which is reasonable in terms of cost, but the school has a good reputation for putting kids into Uni.

You will have to do some research on schools in the area in which you are wanting to live - don't be afraid of sending the kids to a good private school 20kms away (we do that) - the kids take the school bus to and from school, and are happy and settled there.

So some reseacrh on schools required mate - but the edukasunal standards are quite good, by all accounts. btw, due to the fact that schools won't know your kids' levels of education, they might start a year below the level they are currently at, so be prepared for that also.

As Jezza said there is considerable variation in the quality of public, even private schools here in WA. In general there are correlations between the quality of the area you live in and the quality of school if you are looking at state high schools, but there is a pretty good chance you'll do well in the private system. My daughter goes to Mindarie Senior High School (yrs 11-12), about 15 minutes north of Ocean Reef, and it's excellent. However, Clarkson High School is utterly horrible and basically little worse than pre-juvie babysitting. Nothing beats word of mouth in this respect, if you can find people with stories to tell.

In short, it would be not much different to the UK - when it's good it's very good and when it's bad they pretty much abandon all hope. I would register for the http://www.myschool.com.au/ web site and see what you can dig up. Somewhere there they have comparative scores for the schools in a region in relation to their performance against national benchmarks.

W-V, might be an idea to bring the fam out to Perth for a recce mission - it might be an expensive excerise in the short term , but I reckon it would be incredibly enlightening for the fam to see the environment in which they might be living.......then you can all make up your minds knowing what it might be like.

Well decision made and it's a no for now. Our kids are in great schools over here and we want the eldest to finish his GCSE's next year. The opportunity is 12 months too soon but maybe next year. This also gives us time for a reccie before then.

Thanks again everyone.

OK mate, no worries. Kids are paramount. Just come for a brilliant holiday here then! If you head over to Melbourne at any time, just give us a holler.

Cheers

Right, In the balance....it's all down to Ossie Schools. Eldest has turned 15 today and is at KE Aston Grammar School. Youngest is 11 and at Private School in Lichfield. Sell me Ossie Education?

We have some of the best school's and the education sistem is amazing. I even got 96% for my IQ test.

• 6 months later...

Bump!! - hi folks, having discussions about potentially making the move in the late Summer/Autumn once the eldest has his GCSE's under his belt. Perth or Melbourne are being considered. Is the economy still looking good?

Cheers, Walmley

Â