Calling Perth Villains....or other Aussies!

Walmley_Villa

Bump!! - hi folks, having discussions about potentially making the move in the late Summer/Autumn once the eldest has his GCSE's under his belt. Perth or Melbourne are being considered. Is the economy still looking good?

Cheers, Walmley

While the economy is still actually in pretty good shape, business/consumer confidence is very low, and many businesses are really struggling - in Melbourne/Sydney at least - nobody is spending anything like the amount of money they were a couple of years ago. I think Perth is still enjoying the mining boom, but again reports a-plenty of no consumer confidence. Cost of living in Melbourne has increased enormously over the last few years.

Still, it's 39 degrees today.

Edited by MrDuck

Everything is still ok in Perth.The economy will always be ok here in the west because of the mining but the weather has taken a turn for the worst.We have had a heat wave for the last 2 weeks, thankfully its only 25 digrees today.

I wish it was that warm here! Thanks again folks. Perth is still the one that interests me. I ses that the population of WA is forecast to nearly double over the next few years. It is however great to see that the state has infrastructure projects in place to support all of this. The key is education as my eldest completes his GCSE's this Summer and I gather they count for nothing in Oz. A shame as he is forecast to get A's and A*'s.

The key is education as my eldest completes his GCSE's this Summer and I gather they count for nothing in Oz.

Huh, why wouldn't they? Universities in Australia accept all kinds of academic qualifications, just like those in the UK - catering for international students is big business there.

GSCEs are taken in what year of schooling?

Here years 11&12 generally count towards final achievements, particularly for University entrance etc.

If he is a smart cookie though, as you indicate, the GSCEs should establish his excellent record and he should have no problems getting into a decent school, even one that is out of catchment area.

In terms of the economy etc, Perth is as expensive as it always was. Brisbane is probably the place to be in terms of overall lifestyle vs affordability. Perth is a bloody lovely city but is as boring as batshit for teenagers who aren't into sport or the beach thing.

Also in Perth rental accommodation is at an absolute premium, but if you have enough money & job security to cover a mortgage, the house prices have dipped a bit so it's probably a good time to buy a property, especially with interest rates well down.

Â