Jubilee

Dodgyknees

Have friends coming up from London for the weekend so they can avoid it.

My views on the monarchy are well documented on here, nothing to add.

I thought most people in their 70s loved the Royal family? ;)

I hate the whole thing. Let's celebrate the life of some lazy cow that has been spoon-fed throughout the years. Sod her and the whole dated idea of a monarchy.

Idiotic reply. Cant stand people who diss the queen. The monarchy is the only 'Great' thing, Great Britian has left worth celebrating.

Have friends coming up from London for the weekend so they can avoid it.

My views on the monarchy are well documented on here, nothing to add.

I thought most people in their 70s loved the Royal family? ;)

Ask me in 12 years and I'll tell you.

I hate the whole thing. Let's celebrate the life of some lazy cow that has been spoon-fed throughout the years. Sod her and the whole dated idea of a monarchy.

Idiotic reply. Cant stand people who diss the queen. The monarchy is the only 'Great' thing, Great Britian has left worth celebrating.

i agree

in terms of things that this country has got horribly wrong the monarchy comes way down the list IMO

you-cannot-be-serious.jpg

So what else is 'Great' about Britain??

Honestly, I hate politicians with a passion but how anybody can hate on the monarchy is just beyond me?! Yeah they are not as relevant as in the past but so what?! The amount of money the monarchy generates compared to what they take I would bet is huge. The main core of our great history is centred towards the monarchy, so why would anybody object to them I will never know

Honestly, I hate politicians with a passion but how anybody can hate on the monarchy is just beyond me?! Yeah they are not as relevant as in the past but so what?! The amount of money the monarchy generates compared to what they take I would bet is huge. The main core of our great history is centred towards the monarchy, so why would anybody object to them I will never know

Nothing particularly "great" about it at all.

Geoffrey of Monmouth came up with the term "Britannia major" (Greater Britain), to distinguish it from "Britannia minor" (Lesser Britain), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany. It doesn't mean that we are fab, groovy and def.

Our history has its share of good stuff, along with a lot of very bad stuff. But the Royals haven't had much say in it since 1668. They're a showbiz act. And like all showbiz acts, they appeal to some of the public, and not to others.

Nothing particularly "great" about it at all.

Geoffrey of Monmouth came up with the term "Britannia major" (Greater Britain), to distinguish it from "Britannia minor" (Lesser Britain), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany. It doesn't mean that we are fab, groovy and def.

Our history has its share of good stuff, along with a lot of very bad stuff. But the Royals haven't had much say in it since 1668. They're a showbiz act. And like all showbiz acts, they appeal to some of the public, and not to others.

:shock: Have no idea what you are on about there?! Dont really want to either as in no way makes any sense

Have no idea what you are on about there?! Dont really want to either as in no way makes any sense

It means 'Great' is not an adjective. It's not 'fantastic' or 'brilliant' Britain. There used to be a Greater Britain and a Lesser Britain (now Brittany in France). That's what the 'Great' refers to. Greater Britain. So in a way it's an anachronism.

Have no idea what you are on about there?! Dont really want to either as in no way makes any sense

It means 'Great' is not an adjective. It's not 'fantastic' or 'brilliant' Britain. There used to be a Greater Britain and a Lesser Britain (now Brittany in France). That's what the 'Great' refers to. Greater Britain. So in a way it's an anachronism.

:D

Have no idea how that relates to anything I said

Really? You said the monarchy was the only 'Great' thing Great Britain had to celebrate. In quotes with an uppercase 'G'. So it stood to reason to point out that the 'Great' in Great Britain is not and never has been an adjective and is therefore no reflection on how 'Great' Britain is or used to be.

Really? You said the monarchy was the only 'Great' thing Great Britain had to celebrate. In quotes with an uppercase 'G'. So it stood to reason to point out that the 'Great' in Great Britain is not and never has been an adjective and is therefore no reflection on how 'Great' Britain is or used to be.

No idea what you are on about now or how on earth that relates to anything I have said :D

Think you are from a different age bracket, like 60+, then me. we just do not relate im afraid.

You said these things

The monarchy is the only 'Great' thing, Great Britian has left worth celebrating

...which suggests you're referring to the flippant comment many people make about the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' meaning 'Awesome Britain', or 'The Best! Britain' or some other such superlative, which is usually referred to people ask 'Well whats so 'Great' about 'Great Britain' these days?' (which is more or less what you've asked yourself).

The chaps are simply pointing out that the idea that the 'Great' in the name 'Great Britain', is somehow a reference to our superiority, or dominance, or brilliance, as a nation... is bollocks. It comes from a term to name the island(s) to differentiate them from the part of France that shared the 'Britannia' element of it's name.

They're basically saying that the flippant comment you made is nonsense. The thing about saying Britain is called 'Great' and therefore should have things that are great, is a nonsense.

Simple, really.

Â