Front Page: What The Opposition Think - Spurs

JohnCresswell

What The Opposition Think - Spurs - By me

Firstly I want to thank you very much for agreeing to answer these questions. I sent some to two separate Charlton fans for the Charlton game and they both ignored my email. That’s incredibly rude, don’t you think?

Well would you be in the mood to talk about football if Iain Dowie was your manager and you’d bought Andy Reid in the summer?

Spurs have some pretty naff ‘celebrity’ fans. You’ll have to try very hard for us to ignore the fact that ‘Chas and Dave’ support your lot. Is there anyone who supports your lot that will make us go “Wow!�

What, you mean apart from me? Ah I see, ok well there are a few names I could drop. Not sure if they will make you go “WOW†but you never know: Ray Liotta, Salman Rushdie, Patsy Kensit, Linda Lusardi, The King of Norway (take that Norwegian villans!;) Rachel Stevens, Jude Law, Barry Norman, Kenneth Branagh (To be fair, being able to say the King of Norway supports you is a pretty decent claim! - JC)

You haven’t started very well this season. What do you put this down to? You seem to have as many ‘moaners’ as the Villa – are there any fans calling for Jol’s scary, round head to be chopped off and another manager come in yet?

No we haven’t started too well at all, but we have been pretty unlucky. We actually haven’t played too badly but there is without doubt room for improvement. We lack creativity from midfield and that, for me, has been our biggest problem. We also need to get just a little meaner, a bit more aggressive. It will also help when the new guys settle in a little more.

Yeah we do have our share of ‘moaners’ who think Jol is not the man for the job, but it’s a tiny few. I think every club has its knee-jerk brigade, and we’re no different unfortunately.

If Spurs were a vegetable, what would they be?

A Pineapple. I’m afraid I’m not at leisure to divulge the explanation for this though. (Who is going to tell him that a pineapple is a fruit? - JC )

Looking at wikipedia, apparently Spurs have won the “Peace Cupâ€. What the hell is that?!

A pre-season tournament played in Korea, with teams from all over the world. Yes, we won it but a lot of fans from other clubs seem to talk about our victory quite a lot. We Spurs fans on the other hand are a modest bunch, we don’t like to talk non stop about our past successes, so we’ll leave that to the rest of you!

Who is your favourite Spurs player of all time?

That’s a tough question but it has to be Gary Mabbutt. I remember watching him as I was growing up and was inspired. He had the heart of a lion and loved the club….and… and…. Sorry, there’s something in my eye…

Are you looking forward to the game on Saturday? Last season’s games probably summed up the season well – the game at White Hart Lane especially, where the Villa players just weren’t interested. Whilst the draw against Chelsea for Villa was seen as a good result, I think this game will give us a better indication of the ‘MON’ effect. What do you think of the Villa so far this season?

Yes, I can’t wait for the game, the international breaks do my head in. Villa have started very well, you look a lot more organised and willing to work. I saw the first game at le’arse and although I thought you were lucky to get something (and believe me I was hoping you’d get all 3 points) I was impressed with the attitude and organisation. And you’re still unbeaten if I remember correctly which should see the confidence of the players grow. I also like MON as a manager, he’s a no bull kinda bloke and knows how to organise and motivate a team

What are you memories of Villa v Spurs games?

Well since the inception of the premier league it’s been pretty bleak, results wise, when playing the villa. But lately we’ve been getting a bit better. The 5 – 1 drubbing we handed out at the Lane (even Andy Reid scored!!!) a few seasons back is particularly fresh in the memory (Sorry, had to squeeze that in) My last visit to Villa Park was sometime around 2000/2001. A 2 nil defeat with Taylor I think it was getting both goals.

What player is on form for your lot? Which of your summer signings shall we look out for?

Pascal Chimbonda has settled straight in and looks a very accomplished player. Zokora is starting to play really, really well. Yeah he may have dived but why the media outcry? Ronaldo does it all the time, so does your very on Milan Baros. Gerrard likes to go down also (you know what I mean!) But anyway forget all that for now, the player you should watch is Dimitar Berbatov! Great movement, touch, awareness, a really classy and elegant forward. But maybe still adjusting to the added pace and physicality of the Premier league. Our non creative midfield doesn’t do him any favours either.

And who will you be looking out for in a Villa shirt?

Petrov. I’ve seen a lot of him for Celtic and I think he’s a good hard working player with a nice bit of flair and ambition. He gets forward a lot, can get stuck in and has a bit of pace and acceleration. I think he could cause us a few problems. The kid Aghal…. Agbohel…. Bah you know who I’m talking about, the kid plays on the right with the long awkward name and is very quick could also cause us some problems.

Oh and hopefully the Irish are so embarrassed about their game in Cyprus that they come out all guns blazing and get stuck into the Czech Rep and give Baros a few little kicks :)

Give us a prediction for the game….

I’m not confident going into this one, it will be a very hard game. But I think we can get a draw so I’ll optimistically say 1 – 1

…and finally – How much do you hate Birmingham City?

Who?

Good set of answers imo, so Jim is the sensible Spuds fan (we already knew that)

Its interesting though that a Spuds fan only thinks his team is capable of a draw, must be a first for a few years, then again look at our fellow VTers some are predicting a loss for us. :roll:

EDIT: for the return leg, see if you can get some replies from "Nick fromm Enfield" should provide us with a bit of pure comedy :mrgreen:

The King of Norway (take that Norwegian villans!;)

Bah. I'm a republican by principle, so I couldn't care less what the royal family thinks :)

Interestingly, and I am aware of the self-contradiction here, his father was a keen supporter of Arsenal.

must be a first for a few years, then again look at our fellow VTers some are predicting a loss for us. :roll:

Boo!!!!

I'm one of those mate...just a horrible feeling. Largely originating from 5 years of Villa frequently losing games we should win on current form.

Though with my prediction history it'll just mean a sweeter victory! :nod:

must be a first for a few years, then again look at our fellow VTers some are predicting a loss for us. :roll:

Boo!!!!

I'm one of those mate...just a horrible feeling. Largely originating from 5 years of Villa frequently losing games we should win on current form.

Though with my prediction history it'll just mean a sweeter victory! :nod:

you are whhat predicting a loss against the team with one of the poorest records against us at VP in recent times.

dear me

you could be right though, especially with the manager going so negative lately :)

Â