Mexico City to Lima in 7 weeks

YLN

Can it be done? A group of us are headed to Central America this summer. Some are interested in seeing the sights, but others are more concerned about beaches and getting a tan. I am in the former group. The end of the trip was originally Panama via all the countries in between. 7 weeks of that. From there we would fly to mexico and on to Dublin. My suggestion is that we spend 4 weeks in central america and then fly to quito, traveling down to Lima for the final 19 days of the trip, seeing things in between. Fly Lima to Mexico and then to Dublin.

The flights from Panama to Quito and Lima to Mexico cost the same as the flight from panama to mexico. I think it sounds good, but I don't want to feel like we're rushing through places either.

Doable?

I used Lan Peru when I did that region back in 2007 they did some great flight pass options

Flew Mexico city to Lima to peurto Maldonado to cusco to Quito to caracus to Miami for about £420 .. Though I'd imagine prices have gone up since then ( we were helped by it being $2 to the £1

Few places of interest if you are looking for guidance

Mexico city .. Go see Teotihuacan .. About a 30 min cab ride outside Mexico city if I recall .. Don't think you can climb up the main pyramid anymore but still worth a look

Then visit xochimilco which is a canal area full of boats where the locals go to party

We just booked a cab for the day and he took us wherever we asked him

Didn't spend much time in Lima but get a coach to Nasca from the main bus station and go see the Nasca lines ( fly over them in a cesna ) but also leave time to see the Nasca mummies

From Lima fly to peurto Maldonado where you can visit the amazon rainforest... You will see quite a bit from here but if you want to see panthers in the wild you will have to go deeper into the bush and also be prepared to spend days at it... We saw giant otters , cayman , toucans , cabybara etc

The plane flies a circle route and next stop is Cusco

From Cusco You can hike to macchu Piccho ( last i heard the path washed away in the floods so check this before you book anything ) or take a train there( it gets busy so book in advance) .. The train offers great views not to mention the fun of zig zaggin out of Cusco at the start of the journey .... You can overnight nr Machu Piccho as well just mind the altitude if you aren't used to it

From Lima we flew to Quito

Middle earth for the Equator stuff and get someone to drive you over to Coatapoxi .. The taxi will drop you at a car park and you can climb the last few hundred meters , again watch the altitude , the walk is hard work

Quito head on over to the galapagos isles .. Won't be cheap but worth every penny, $100 permit fee on arrival do make sure you have it in cash on you as no credit cards or ATM when you arrive

After quito we flew onto Venezula and over to angel falls .. If you can then try and persuade your friends to go there ... You sleep in hammocks and then have a 3 hour motorised canoe ride through the rapids before a short hike upto see the falls ... You then sleep in hammocks again just across the river from the falls , it's just awesome It really is worth the trip

Few pics here to give you a feel of the places I've mentioned , if I can give more info then just ask

pics

Thanks a lot for that Tony. I was hoping you'd see this thread. I've suggested all of this to the gang, aside from the Venezuela bit. Flights there were just too expensive, but I'm trying to get them to go to Peru and Ecuador. Here is my proposed itinerary. There's a lot of room for manoevre in it. What do you think of the amount of time I've allotted for each place?

12th July - Dublin to Mexico (€805 Flight group A)

17th July - Mexico City to Cancun (€100 stand alone flight)

Cancun 18 - 20 (3 days)

Belize, Guatemala 21- 28 (8 days)

El Salvador, Honduras 29 - 2 (5 days)

Nicaragua, Costa Rica 3 - 10 (8 days)

Panama 11 - 13 (3 days)

Panama to Quito (€440 Flight group B)

Quito to Lima 14 - 19 (6 days)

Lima to Cuzco (€150-400 Flight group C)

Cuzco 20 - 22 (3 days)

Cuzco to Puerto Maldonado ©

PM 23 - 25 (3 days)

Puerto Maldonado to Lima ©

Lima 26 - 27 (2 days)

28th Lima to Mexico (B)

30th Mexico to Dublin (A)

If I were you, I'd skip Mexico and start in Costa Rica. Then Panama, Colombia and Ecuador. Guatemala, El Salvador and Nicaragua have less to offer...unless you want to experience more gritty less tourist-friendly countries, which those are.

tbh i only spent one night in Lima so can't offer any advice there but I'd still take a look at Nasca and the lines / mummies ... you can be there and back in 2 days , the flights over the lines are usually done early Am and then you walk down to the coach station for the trip back to Lima

I've not done central America though have started on the planning stage .. you may want to consider more than 3 days in Panama as from what I found there was quite a bit to see and do there .. saying that a lot was nature and swimming type stuff which you will do in spades in Costa Rica anyway .. i also looked at Honduras and El Salvador and figured 1/2 a day in each would be enough ( unless you plan to go out and explore a bit )

Drop a few things and go see the Galapagos Isles , best money you will ever spend .. some reasonable night life on the island as well

I was looking at Panama as part of my US fly drive later this year ( yeah I'm aware it's not in America before any points that out :-) )

my gut feel is that Panama needs more than 3 days ...there lloked to be a lot to do there , assuming people like the swimming and hiking type stuff ..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going over to Central America in Oktober, but unfortunately only have 3 weeks. I think i would skip El Salvador, as I have heard that is the most unsafe country in Central America, and do not have that much to offer compared to the other countries.

I have started to make plans for our journey, but like you there lots of room to change the route. So far we have this route:

Reiseforslag 4

Day 1 Bergen -Panama City

Day 2 Panama

Day 3 Panama - Bocas del Toro

Day 4 Bocas del Toro

Day 5 Bocas del Toro

Day 6 Bocas del Toro- San Jose

Day 7 San Jose

Day 8 San Jose -Granada

Day 9 Granada

Day 10 Granada - Managua

Day 11 Managua- Roatan

Day 12 Roatan

Day 13 Roatan

Day 14 Roatan-Guatemala City-Antigua

Day 15 Antigua

Day 16 Antigua-Guatemala city

Day 17 Guatemala city - Tikal

Day 18 Tikal

Day 19 Spare day

Day 20 Tikal - Flores - Cancun

Day 21 Cancun

Day 22 Cancun - Bergen

• 1 year later...

Seriously, dont waste time in Guatemala City, it's horrid and crime is horrendous.  I lived there for 2 months.  Antigua is nice.  Try to fit Mexico City in you can and Teotihuacan

If you're in Lima, keep out of Rimac.  Mira Flores is probably the best place to stay.

Edited by Humanoid

I'm going over to Central America in Oktober, but unfortunately only have 3 weeks. I think i would skip El Salvador, as I have heard that is the most unsafe country in Central America, and do not have that much to offer compared to the other countries.

El Salvador is up there but Honduras is the one to avoid....

El Salvador is up there but Honduras is the one to avoid....

Yillan - I think you have too many days for El Salvador and Hondurus - day in each max I recon. The other 3 days could be used for something more spectacular elsewhere.

Â