Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

O'Neill is in the newspapers today, saying that he doesn't want Lerner to be ripped off and has already dropped out of one transfer. I hope he's got a back up plan, or it's five down to four.

He also says he thinks that the squad can get him through to the Summer anyway, so it doesn't matter quite as much. Not what he was saying a couple of months ago, mind...

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know JC but his priorities have changed since we started this bad run. Before that Europe was realistic and signings would be needed to maintain that push. Our priority is now to get through to the summer, it's not fantastic but is probably why we are more interested in paying the right price.

He also says he thinks that the squad can get him through to the Summer anyway, so it doesn't matter quite as much. Not what he was saying a couple of months ago, mind...

A coupe of months ago we had a lot more injuries than we have now and we have Hendrie back to bolster the squad, J Lloy is fit and Lursen and Morre are nearly back also. Although we have let Players leave the squad is stronger than it was in November/early December.

A coupe of months ago we had a lot more injuries than we have now and we have Hendrie back to bolster the squad, J Lloy is fit and Lursen and Morre are nearly back also. Although we have let Players leave the squad is stronger than it was in November/early December.

And got rid of four players......

If Martin thinks the squad can get us through to the end of the season, then fine. But if we lose more games we shouldn't then we are right back where we were last season, and we don't want that - and having a small squad won't be an acceptable excuse.

And got rid of four players......

If Martin thinks the squad can get us through to the end of the season, then fine. But if we lose more games we shouldn't then we are right back where we were last season, and we don't want that - and having a small squad won't be an acceptable excuse.

Im just puzzled here. Doesnt the fact that MON has terminated 4 players, just push the price tags on players up even more? With even less players, its the more obvious that we are desperate?

Im just puzzled here. Doesnt the fact that MON has terminated 4 players, just push the price tags on players up even more? With even less players, its the more obvious that we are desperate?

Not really. Pratically anyone could see that MON thinks Djemba twins, Whitts, Agathe and (4th one?) are not good enough for Villa and just were not going to be played by MON unless absolutely has no choice otherwise. Getting rid of them doesn't change the position we are in and therefore the prices.

I think that MON was priced out of Bent, probably the most likely one anyway... Told Pardew where to shove it...

Not really. Pratically anyone could see that MON thinks Djemba twins, Whitts, Agathe and (4th one?) are not good enough for Villa and just were not going to be played by MON unless absolutely has no choice otherwise. Getting rid of them doesn't change the position we are in and therefore the prices.

I think that MON was priced out of Bent, probably the most likely one anyway... Told Pardew where to shove it...

The 4th being the emergency loan of Kiraly from Palace, how that counts as a termination I don't know. Agathe who the detractors appear to think was awful (as did MON who hadn't played him since mid Nov), Whittingham who even during our most injury ravaged has hardly played and DJ*2 who so obviously wasn't part of anyone's plans at VP

i thought MoN was saying 2 weeks ago that we needed more players, more help for the youngsters, more help for the squad, this wasnt 2 months ago, this was 2 weeks ago.

we are also 3 players down.

MoN started the season with the squad, he has let players go out on loan and got rid also.

of the players available to MoN from the squad, we have 3 less to choose from, no matter how many games they may or may not play.

this is the player action since the summer, when we finished with a small squad.

INCOMING

Stilian Petrov Celtic £ 6500000 30-08-2006

Didier Agathe Celtic Signed 12-09-2006

Chris Sutton Birmingham Free 03-10-2006

Gabor Kiraly C Palace 13-12-2006

Phillip Bardsley Man Utd 08-01-2007

OUTGOING

out on loan

Patrik Berger Stoke 23-11-2006

Eric Djemba-Djemba Burnley 12-01-2007

got rid of

Didier Agathe 11-01-2007

Mathieu Berson Levante 01-08-2006

Kevin Phillips West Brom £ 700000 22-08-2006

Ulises De la Cruz Reading Free 25-08-2006

Pete Whittingham Cardiff £ 350000 11-01-2007

Gabor Kiraly C Palace 13-12-2006

i would be extremely disapointed if we did not get anyone in before feb, even if it is for cover, and if it is for cover, what would be the point? we have people out on loan or sold who were cover.

Aslong as MON is confident that Villa wont get dragged into a relegation dogfight then i think he'l be patient, not get ripped off and not to concerned at not getting the players in. The seasons over in real terms unless something special happens to get in Europe. Probably the only major reason to get quality signings at the moment is pr reasons. And that wont even concern MON.

i thought MoN was saying 2 weeks ago that we needed more players, more help for the youngsters, more help for the squad, this wasnt 2 months ago, this was 2 weeks ago.

And the three players released have been no help at all

you thought correct, and you can be sure he still thinks the same thing...

And the three players released have been no help at all

but they would have been available if called upon.

they may not be great players but they are players who are employed by aston villa, do you count laursen as not an aston villa player due to his absence through injury? what about delaney? well they are still classed as in the squad, yet are not available if called upon. same for luke moore, not been available for best part of 3 months.

most teams who have a reasonable sized squad will have players that never get a game, they are there for emergencies.

OPS! Now I start talking about Beckham again...I can see him pulling on a Villa shirt until the summer...when he will go to LA Galaxy. Manager of Real Madrid will not play Beckham at all after it came clear that Beckham has agreed the deal with LA Galaxy.

It makes it all open for MON to bring in a player that can have instant success at VP! He might not be the same as his best days at Man U or Real...but he will most certainly be good enough for Villa!