Linux Server

Anthony

I do some volunteering in a small office and help them with their IT stuff.

They have no networked storage, but have recently been given a whole load of old Dell desktops, so I thought I'd repurpose one as a NAS box.

At home I have a D Link DNS 323 (which is a bit rubbish TBH) and essentially I'm looking to do something like that. a network drive that people can map on their pcs and macs.

So what should I do? Install ubuntu? Umm, then what?

I'd like it to have a static IP.

There won't be anything confidential stored on it, so all it needs is for everyone to have read/write access to the storage area; no quotas or reserved areas, dead simple. I think.

Suggestions as to what I should do, or maybe you know where a good article is?

Over to you...

Searching for "linux file server" gave this as the first link, but it's from Jan 2008 so you'll want something more recent. Have a poke around, I'm sure if you find some likely howto guides then we can advise on what is sensible. It's hard to suggest something when I've no idea of your tech experience.

Personally I'd do a minimal Debian install and add smbfs. Or buy a cheap NAS, it'll pay for itself in a couple of years due to the reduced power consumption. :mrgreen:

NAS is essentially Linux with Samba and/or NFS.

If you're serving Windows clients only, you'll just need SMB/CIFS, which is Samba.

I'd just install ubuntu, then install Samba. There's no recognised easy GUI for Samba, so you'll need to edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file by hand (sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf) but it should be fairly easy.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, FreeNAS or equivalent is fine. But if you do that then you can't use it to serve anything else such as email, web etc.

• 2 months later...

Right then, I've set it up and it's been running happily for a while, but there's an issue that I can't resolve.

For some reason some files just aren't deleteable. Here's the link to my q on the forum.

If anyone has an answer I'd appreciate it because what I have so far ain't clear...

TBH I haven't a clue. You went for freeNAS and I've no experience of that, I don't even know what software it's using under the hood. You could try running

tail -f /var/log/syslog

try deleting something and see if it logs an error. (ctrl-c to exit).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Levi's right, it's using FreeBSD. I'm using CIFS for sharing. Is that Samba? Think so.

I can log in to the pretty front end via my browser, but how would I go about accessing the console to try your suggestion Simon? I have putty, would that work? I'm not really a linux bod as you may be able to tell...

No, no 'console' button and not able to view files that way either.

I did find a box (Zeroconf share discovery) that you're supposed to tick if you're accessing the thing with Macs (which some people are). Don't think it's got anything to do with file deletion/non deletion though.

I blame that Tegbrink fellow. Gives me a recommendation then buggers off.

Does everyone have a separate login to the nas or using the same, or guest?

I'd check the file-permissions as well. Does the fronted have any way of doing that or is it console stuff?

Â