Linux Server

Anthony

All guests, no logins. It seems to be files created by the macs that are an issue, but not always.

You can configure file permissions on the front end, but the problem I have is that the help/wiki seems to be out of date, or at least insconsistent, or it signposts you part way then assumes a level of knowledge I don't really have...

If it's the files that are created by the Macs that are the problem, then I'd bet the Macs are connecting to it using NFS as opposed to Samba.

Have you tried pointing putty at the FreeNAS box? You might have to tell FreeNAS to enable ssh from Services -> Control Services and configure ssh from Services -> SSH.

Ssh1.png

should be a reasonable configuration for ssh

To get a console, just startup putty and connect to the FreeNAS box.

Depending on your FreeNAS version, you might be able to get a root shell from the web control panel

Thanks Levi.

No, I can't get a shell from my version of FreeNAS.

Also, that screenshot is from a beta version I think - I don't have the 'i' help information clickies.

I've set up ssh as above and... I can't log in. I'm really close to binning this POS. It wouldn't be quite so bad if the documentation for each version was separate and not mixed all together. It wouldn't be quite so bad if it was clear and unambiguous. It wouldn't be quite so bad if someone on the official forum responded to my requests for help etc etc.

Â