If You Could Have Any House...

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

The house I'd most like to own is my paternal family's former summer house on [private] Coffin's Beach in Gloucester. Due to some family squabbling, we sold it almost a decade ago for about $3m, but I'd really like it back. I see from the aerial photos that the new owner has built a **** gaudy monstrosity of a patio out front where my cousins and I would play wiffle ball :(

The year-younger and smaller "castle" next door is on the market for $4m... they're smoking crack (though I see that the folks who bought it from the owners "back in the day" have ruined it, too. I do like how the photos of the neighbor's house go to great lengths to not show it's big brother next door!

Basically, in the late 19th century, a family of Buffalo lawyers (partners in a firm that counted Millard Fillmore as an earlier partner) bought up land near the end of Coffin's Beach (the very far end was and is, as near as I can tell, owned by various "chinless Yankees" (to use an uncle's term): Bradfords, Winthrops, and Ayers among them) and built their summer cottages there. Tuppenny Tower was first, then a smaller house next door and plans were drawn up for a massive one (it would have been the tallest structure on the Atlantic coast of North America north of Boston) in the dunes but were scrapped when one of the wives said she wasn't interested in summering there... the sands of the dunes have since claimed the remnants, but as a boy I'd climb through the ruins.

In 1924, my great grandfather (born in 1874 in Kiddy) bought the house where it stayed in the family for about 80 years. Coming with the house was a bookcase/hutch which was used by Mr. Fillmore during his residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to keep his law books; said case is now in my father's possession.

I suppose that that house at 91 Lea Street in Kidderminster might also be a house worth buying. I have no idea whether anybody would willingly live in Kiddy, but as a pied-a-terre for visits to Villa Park...

2yynqqt.jpg

Xannadu!

Eh, looks like Shaolin Temple to me.

Watched the BBC documentary about the martial arts training they do in there sometime ago - Christ it's like a military camp in there!

Â