Journey

Ginko

I got this and played/completed it yesterday and thought it deserved it's own topic. Have any of you guys played it yet? It's a very short game, and for £9.99 it might seem a bit steep but I really enjoyed it.

The art style is beautiful, the music is moving and the whole experience is just fantastic. I like the whole thing with meeting other random players online and not being able to see their usernames until the end. I met a few guys on my travels and it was so cool to see complete strangers working together. Nowadays on online multiplayer games like Halo and COD etc. I'm put off of playing online multiplayer because frankly people are dicks. This was a nice change of pace and a very different gaming experience.

So, what did you guys think?

Havent got it yet, but they were waxing lyrical about the game on Giant Bomb this week and as I liked Flower (their last game) so much I will almost certainly pick this up soon.

I posted about it in the 2012 gaming thread. It's really really wonderful. I kind of liked Flower, but honestly found it a little boring. Journey offers alot more in terms of gameplay, atmosphere, and art style. Oh and the soundtrack is just fantastic aswell. If you liked Flower you will adore this.

I finished it a couple of times last week, first online and then offline in an attempt to get all the glyphs and unlock the white cloak. Didn't manage it though, I assume some of them must be reaaaally well hidden away. Given that some levels you don't really want to explore as there are other pressing matters at hand (one 'dark' level in particular comes to mind, I'm sure those who have finished it know what I mean), it's highly unlikely you'd stumble upon all of them in the first few plays anyway. So yeh as much as I agree it is a high price given it's length, there is replayability (also the idea of helping out a new player is a nice one), so the price is well worth it for me

Ha, I failed on the trophy for the 'dark level' as you called it.

I could quite happily go back and do it again. I think I might try playing offline because I found myself playing with another player for the most part and felt like I had to keep up and maybe rushed through a few areas.

I didn't ever play Flower but I did play FlOw which had a really cool artstyle, just not much gameplay unfortunately. Journey definitely improves on this, although I felt that they could have still done a bit better.

Tried to buy it, but my credit card details on PSN are out of date and it appears to be almost impossible to update them directly from the console. Oh well, £10 saved!

Tried to buy it, but my credit card details on PSN are out of date and it appears to be almost impossible to update them directly from the console. Oh well, £10 saved!

Account management and then billing. I had to update my card too and it was as simple as that.

Purchased and finished it last night, took about 3 and a half hours. Quality over quantity is a good thing but this needed a bit more to it. Should have been £7 tops. Good game, different & somewhat thought provoking, great art style but not as mind blowing as the hype and reviews suggests.

8/10

• 3 weeks later...

W2vfal.jpg

Took about 90 minutes to complete. I didn't really feel that connected to any of the other players I met, it seems to me that they were playing alongside me rather than with me. Decent game, absolutely beautiful graphics but £10 is probably a bit steep as a value proposition. I preferred Flower. I'd recommend you play it, but if you arent fussed about playing it right now wait until it is on sale.

I'm popping out tomorrow to buy myself a new console after I sold my 360 last year for food. I'm leaning towards a PS3 because of little treats like this. I don't think you get the same level of care and attention put in to Live games, I may be wrong?

Looks and sounds beautiful and epic. Will be my first purchase (once the 24 inch HD gaming monitor arrives at least)

Purchased and finished it last night, took about 3 and a half hours. Quality over quantity is a good thing but this needed a bit more to it. Should have been £7 tops. Good game, different & somewhat thought provoking, great art style but not as mind blowing as the hype and reviews suggests.

8/10

This grinds my gears a touch. I mean it's clear no matter what you think of it that a LOT of effort has gone in to making this game. When you get AAA titles coming out that last 10 hours max that unless you're into your hardcore online gaming have little or no replay value, what's £10 for an evenings entertainment?

Compare your 3 and a half hour "journey" to the price of a movie ticket or a DVD and I don't think it's overpriced at all regardless of it's content.

I'm not sure anyone who didn't play this on the day it came out will come away having quite the same experience as those who did. Reason being that now your more likely to encounter several people in one playthrough who already know the game and don't really participate in the co-op aspect any more.

I was lucky enough to play the entire game for the first time in one sitting with someone else who was also in the same situation. It was one of the greatest co-op experiences I've ever had.

8/10

This grinds my gears a touch. I mean it's clear no matter what you think of it that a LOT of effort has gone in to making this game. When you get AAA titles coming out that last 10 hours max that unless you're into your hardcore online gaming have little or no replay value, what's £10 for an evenings entertainment?

Compare your 3 and a half hour "journey" to the price of a movie ticket or a DVD and I don't think it's overpriced at all regardless of it's content.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth, I never said anything about the quality or effort gone into making it, that's plain to see, I just wished it was a little longer and my personal reaction was that I felt a little short changed, others may not.

I understand your point about going to the cinema or buying a dvd though. I suppose its about the experience you had while playing and weighing that up against what that means against the price and length or whatever.

8/10

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth, I never said anything about the quality or effort gone into making it, that's plain to see, I just wished it was a little longer and my personal reaction was that I felt a little short changed, others may not.

I understand your point about going to the cinema or buying a dvd though. I suppose its about the experience you had while playing and weighing that up against what that means against the price and length or whatever.

'Zactly.

Sorry if I came across a little rude, again :winkold:

I've not even played it yet so what do I know. On my list of things to do, promise.

• 3 months later...

Just played this for the first time now, and I thought it was quite literally a stunning gaming experience. I was lucky that the first player I came across was very helpful, and almost seemed like they where playing their first playthrough to, so there was a lot of collaboration and problem solving going on together, and the stopping and waiting for each other too. I was gutted when my first partner for the game was killed off halfway through. Very sad moment. But I loved it.

Â