The first goal

largelugs

Who was to blame for the first goal?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who was to blame for the first goal?

• Delaney
    • Mellberg
    • Angel (because some people seem to be blaming him for everthing else)

no -one , a deflection off Mellberg , and maybe delaney could have been tighter but in the conditions i think macken just got lucky with his badly controlled turn ..though nice shot to round it off

Denis_B I don't disagree that Angel was poor today, although i still think he was 10 x better than his strike partner. It just pissed me off the way some people are all ready to jump on the bandwagon and start saying he is not good enough. The guy has had injuries in the summer and is struggling.

Mainly Norway's comments:

Disgraceful performance, and I hope he oppologizes to both the players, and us, the fans

Whats he got to apologise for? He has given us many moments of joy and always tried his best. As for apologising to the rest of the players, what crap. Only 2 or 3 of them were any better than him!

Awful match. Nothing less than awful. Angel and Hendrie needs a reality check, and so do you who rate Angel amongst the best strikers in the Premiership. I desperately call for Yakubu and Beattie, players who can do it over and over, season after season

To me he is a class player who is just out of form. He is easily the best striker we have and one of the best in the time i have been watching villa. Comments about wanting a striker who do it in season after season is just like the crap we hear off the national press, who obviously never seen Angel pre Taylor!

And then Ahammad's comments,basically saying that now he is on more money he is not interested

Angel has lost his killer instinct since he started earning 40K a week

Out of all the players at Villa he is one who has never seemed to be one of the money grabbing playboys. He went through v.hard times at villa but stuck it out. If money was his only interest he wouldn't be at Villa.

Delaney turned the wrong way twice, meaning his back was facing Macken. That's a sunday-league mistake. Delaneys goal, no doubt about it. Not sying Olly made it easier though......

Comments about wanting a striker who do it in season after season is just like the crap we hear off the national press, who obviously never seen Angel pre Taylor!

Something along the lines the manager has said recently though!

I think he was referring to the assertion that Yakubu was somehow a more proven commodity than Angel in the prem.

Delaney was caught off balance thanks to Mellbergs misinterception, as was Sorensen who'd initially come out to get the ball before the deflection Then the shot went through Delaneys outstreched leg instead of of it. How anyone can blame Sorensen is amazing the ball ran nicely for Macken even after Mellbergs miss pass.

As to Angel he's not even getting into striking positions he's playing in midfield, he's been sold I reckon and is making sure he doesn't get injured.

Anyone see James save at the far post from Hendries shot Barry's cross james punched off Coles head, that 6 man move where he saved from Macann's shot. the penalty save.

No, I thought not, bloody awful performance though.

he's been sold I reckon and is making sure he doesn't get injured.

Of course, he spends months negotiating a new contract and commits himself to the club. He has moved his family half the way around the world, settled in after a hard start. Thats just the sort of player who is about to leave.

I think he was referring to the assertion that Yakubu was somehow a more proven commodity than Angel in the prem.

Ryu I respect and admire your loyalty but DOL has recently said that good strikers do it consistently year after year... about JPA...

Ryu I respect and admire your loyalty but DOL has recently said that good strikers do it consistently year after year... about JPA...

Thanks Denis.

I've read the same quote as you and I think that DOL is right. I meant that Lugs was responding to the assertion that Yakubu has done it year after year, rather than the salient need for Juan to be consistent, which I think everyone agrees on!

I have no doubt Angel is class, but it took him all summer to sign the contract, and the money he is on, WTF? Is he playing better than say, DLC? Anyway, I take bat what I said (I was pretty pissed about the result), he is class, I just don't think him and Cole can play together, Angel needs a pacy Vass-tyoe forward to draw defenders away, Cole was woeful today, starting to go off the guy, he needs to create and score more goals.

I think we all agree he is playing well below what he should be. Its just some people seem to think it is because he is not good enough and others because he is not trying hard enough. And then the wonderful statement that he is trying to stay injury free so that he can move!

I know that next saturday he will get a great reaction from the Holte end because any fan who has watched him regularly over the past few years will know he is class and that he always tries his best. He just needs a little support now, who knows he might just hit one of his goal trails over December.

Yakubu sure has that proven record after his long stint of one whole season in the Premiership, what a record!

And Beattie hasn't got that flash a record really now, has he...

Proven strikers in the Premiership, Henry, RVN, Kluivert, add to that the likes of Bergkamp, Shearer, Hasselbaink who can point to their past records and say that they are proven.

JPA can't be expected to find goals if he doesn't get service, I watched the Pompey game, he got plenty of ball in the box, scored a good goal and looked fairly dangerous, I also watched the first half vs Spurs, he didn't get that much service, and as a result, looked poor, you can't criticise JPA, its the midfield who are at fault. We need SOMEONE who is going to provide consistant service to our front-men, and then maybe they'll start scoring.

No one was at fault for the goal. Mellberg did his best to stop it getting through to Macken, but it deflected off him. It was unfortunate that it went straight to the striker. Once that happened, Delaney hadn't enough time to regain control of the situation and a good strike from Macken sent the ball into the net. a footballing situation and I don't think we can blame anyone for it. Sometimes sh*t happens and you don't get a scapegoat.

JPA can't be expected to find goals if he doesn't get service

Penalty.

Rebound from penalty.

It's bad enough missing a penalty, but to then loop his header over the bar from 6 yards was laughable. He couldn't wish for 2 better opportunities to score.

Â