Cavity Wall Insulation

villarule123

I had British Gas out to look at doing ours (for free) but as we have a conservatory on the back they said they couldn't do it as they'd need to put up scaffolding (which they didn't have) to get on it to do the back of the house.

Anyone on here with a conservatory had theirs done?

I had British Gas out to look at doing ours (for free) but as we have a conservatory on the back they said they couldn't do it as they'd need to put up scaffolding (which they didn't have) to get on it to do the back of the house.

could you not have the other walls done, and just not that wall?

try another company, we tried british gas first for free, and they said they couldn't do it. tried another company, no problems with the survey

Saw this yesterday & posted it up on Village Blog

Earn £50 recommending FREE £300 insulation

The push to insulate homes is getting silly - energy firms now pay you to let them install

Big energy providers have 'Carbon Emission Reduction Targets'. They must pump money into making homes more efficient, especially for 'tough to reach' groups. If they miss targets, they get big fines. So they're desperately pushing cash out there. Why not take advantage?

free insulationEveryone's eligible for up to £300 of free installation. Cavity wall and loft insulation can slice £100s off annual energy bills. Right now, up to £300-worth is being doled out to anyone by energy companies - even if you're not their customer. Anyone can apply, but you do need a suitable property. See the Free Insulation guide for a full list.

Recommend someone elderly / on benefits - get £50 EACH. British Gas's now offering £50 if you refer an elderly person on pension credit, or anyone else on qualifying benefits, to get free insulation. Neither of you need to be British Gas customers, and you'll both get £50. See British Gas £50 referral info.

Free insulation PLUS 10,000 Tesco points if on certain benefits. Tesco's giving 10,000 (5,000 for loft + 5,000 for cavity wall) points to anyone getting insulation if they're on qualifying benefits. While 10,000 is worth £100 redeemed in store, it can be worth up to £400 on Tesco Rewards. Alternatively, Eon's offering anyone on qualifying benefits £100 cash for getting free insulation. Full details in Get paid for free insulation

• 1 year later...

Is anyone still doing free cavity wall insulation?

i never got round to having it done, and now the house gets pretty cold in the winter.

British Gas, NPower say free installation only if you're on benefits.

I had a leaflet from Energycaregroup who says its free under certain conditions, but reviews on google about them are mixed.

Is anyone still doing free cavity wall insulation?

i never got round to having it done, and now the house gets pretty cold in the winter.

British Gas, NPower say free installation only if you're on benefits.

I had a leaflet from Energycaregroup who says its free under certain conditions, but reviews on google about them are mixed.

If you can ....DO

thermostat too low? clicks at 13 degrees so yes

well, if money is not a major issue, and the house is cold, just turn up the thermostat.

We have our thermostat set at 20 degrees, and have the heating on 24 hours a day, and the house is always boiling hot (wife likes it like that).

13 degrees sounds crazily cold.

It depends where your thermostat is situated.

Mine is set at 15 as its in the hallway that is never heated.  If I had mine set at 20 Id be able to roast chicken on the sink.

Wow, mad to think I made this thread nearly 2 years ago with no 20 month old daughter around to cause havoc! :o

It makes an incredible difference having the walls done, our house used to be so cold (12 - 14 degrees at times) but now it's always 18+ and only goes down if I leave the heating off for a day. It's a must have.

We went a little crazy when we bought the house as it was so cold, ended up spending £1k on new doors, £3k on new windows, insulated the loft ourselves but the real difference was the walls.

Ender, phone the council up, because they refer you to businesses that do it for free, at least they used to.

Â