Golf Season 2012

CI

Just booked 10 days in La Manga with the Mrs and sprog plus another family.

He plays golf, I've played like once..... we are contemplating a round... good idea?

Yeah, why not. Try and make the effort to go to the driving range a couple of times before you go. You will enjoy it much more if you can actually hit the ball rather than hack your way round in 150+ shots.

Yep play the South Course, it's great

What residences are you in ?

Father in law has a Villa out there...... can't remember exactly been a while since we've been. From what I remember the back of the Villa backs onto one of the courses....

@ Wiggy.... yeah I'd have to get my eye in first. The tee looked like a ploughed field last time I played. I'll hire some bats when I get there.

My problem is that when I don't try to smash it goes a fair distance. Then my own shitness takes over and I want to smash it so get pissed off take a huge **** heave at it and send the ball about 12 feet.

18, my target this year is to get down to 14

Went from 24 down to 19.9 last year, which i was really chuffed about. 15 or 16 is the aim for this time next year. My short game, especially my putting, lets me down.

It's strange, i actually feel more confident/comfortable playing in from 100-130 yards than i do from 20-30 yards, i tend to "quit" on the shorter shots instead of accelerating through the ball.

Went from 24 down to 19.9 last year, which i was really chuffed about. 15 or 16 is the aim for this time next year. My short game, especially my putting, lets me down.

It's strange, i actually feel more confident/comfortable playing in from 100-130 yards than i do from 20-30 yards, i tend to "quit" on the shorter shots instead of accelerating through the ball.

At least you know what you are doing wrong. For mid to high handicappers nearly all of duffed short shots are due to the club head speed through the ball. It's a confidence thing, take a shorter back swing but make sure you accelerate the club through the ball at all times.

At least you know what you are doing wrong. For mid to high handicappers nearly all of duffed short shots are due to the club head speed through the ball. It's a confidence thing, take a shorter back swing but make sure you accelerate the club through the ball at all times.

But thats the frustrating part mate, i know exactly what im doing wrong. Like you say, its all about confidence. The same with my putting, i dont struggle reading the greens or seeing the "brakes", just with my distance control, 5 foot short one hole then 5 foot past the next. Ive actually got a short game/putting lesson booked for tomorrow so hopefully that can iron out a few things and maybe save me 1 or 2 shots a round.

I think it's hard to give instruction for putting, as its all about feel and touch but as for general swing and ball contact (off the green) a couple of things have helped me considerably lately.

You have probably heard of John Richardson but if not, he set himself a target of shooting a par round within 12 months after previously shooting 100+ scores. He kept a diary and wrote a book titled Dream On (a reference to Sam Torrance's response when asked about John's chances) documenting his year ahead and really is a good read. A couple of things I took from his book was the 'anchor', the use of a word or expression which evokes a positive and confident feeling before addressing the ball. The 'clear key' another phrase or term that has nothing to do with golf whatsoever, you repeat your clear key in your head whilst you swing, taking away the chance of any silly thoughts during your swing. Lastly, just focussing your eyes on the smallest, tinyest point on the back of the golf ball and nothing else. These 3 things have helped me loads in the last couple of weeks.

The best spell of golf I played was when I kept the driver at home and started using irons only off the tee

Yes you sacrifice some distance but for me keeping the ball on the fairway was of more merit

Â