Golf Season 2012

CI

Up & Running again, always like a flutter on Golf as you get cracking odds pre tournament start. This weekend :

Volvo Open - Fancourt - South Africa - Fancy a home win for Oosthuzen

PGA - Humana Challenge, La Quinta - California - Villegas off to a flyer

My hot picks to do well for this season are:

Jason Day

Francesco Molinari

K J Choi

Rickie Fowler

Simon Dyson

Harrington is plodding along nicely in the Volvo Open at 4 under after the 1st round. I think a few people forget just what Harrington is capable of, lets not forget this is a bloke who is a 3 time major winner. A top 5 finish for him in the Volvo would be a nice way to start the year.

I also expect Tiger to make it back inside the top 10 this year.

Major winners this year, im going to go with:

Jason Day

Steve Stricker

Justin Rose

Lee Westood (as long as he brings his putter with him)

Outside bet to win a major is Sergio Garcia, found a bit of form in fits and starts last year.

Unfortunately, i think Donald will remain at #1, picking up wins on the tour (both of them), but come up short in the major's.

On a personal note, im going to put myself down for a top 5 finish in my club championships. :)

This will be a big year for Luke Donald & Matt Kucher IMO

All that is left for Donald to do is win a major, he pissed the money list on both tours, pissed the race to Dubai and has been world #1 for almost 35 weeks.

Sadly, i dont see him winning a major (this year). I hope im wrong tho.

Looking to follow some people regularly at decent (to big) prices.

In the US:

Charles Howell III is playing pretty consistently and may eventually pick up a tournament (often priced between 20/1 and 40/1 depending upon the strength of the field);

Brendan De Jonge may well win somewhere on the tour if he can sort out his worrying knack of playing like a drain on the last day if in contention (normally somewhere between 66s and 100s);

Marin Laird should be someone to follow as he tries to get selected for the Ryder Cup team (which would be some achievement from the other side of the pond) and is normally around 16s/20s though can be bigger if the field is strong;

Kim - often overpriced for his talent and underpriced for his attitude/effort;

Chad Campbell - just because I've been following him for years and he owes me nothing (placed at 250/1 in last year's Open, for instance);

Matt Bettencourt mostly plays like a drain but capable of throwing in the odd excellent round and, occasionally, a tournament full of them (mainly 200/1 and upwards for normal tournaments - was 300/1 for this week in Ca).

On the European tour:

Danny Willett may hopefully recapture his 2010 form after a pretty poor 2011 and go on to secure his maiden win (price is generally 33s and bigger);

Pablo Larrazabal will probably pick up a tournament or two like last year but also miss a few cuts and, as a result, his price can vary wildy from shortish (16s-25s) to pretty long (over 100s);

Gonzo (Fernandez-Castano) came back from injury towards the end of last year strongly, managed to get himself in to the world's top 50 and seems to have got his putting reasonably sorted (price normally depends on the strength of the field as he tends to sit in the middle tier of players in the market);

Tom Lews - I'd expect him to race up the world rankings very quickly and be on the edge of the top 50 pretty soon,

As for majors, I'll look at people closer to the time but I'd expect Charl Schwartzel to be consistently there or thereabouts nowadays, Jason Day (as above) is an excellent shout, it would be very welcome if Westwood could nab a major and I wouldn't be totally surprised if Manassero popped up.

What sort of price does Bjorn usually pitch in at for the majors Snowy? Around 40's? If he can continue his form from last year, i think he could surprise a few people.

Looks like we both agree that Jason Day could do some special things this year, superb talent.

I like Manassero, just think his lack of distance off the tee could hamper him. Saying that, Luke Donald is one of the shorter players off the tee and it hasnt held him back.

David Horsey is always a good outside bet as is Simon Dyson and if you want to keep it local Robert Rock is generally 40/1 and above

Did you know Robert Rock is the only player on the tour who never wears a hat/cap.

True story. :)

David Horsey is always a good outside bet as is Simon Dyson and if you want to keep it local Robert Rock is generally 40/1 and above

Did you know Robert Rock is the only player on the tour who never wears a hat/cap.

True story. :)

Didnt know that, club pro at The Belfry so must be a Villa fan ;-)

Yes, don't talk to me about Rock. Having been following him a fair bit, I managed to miss last year's Italian Open. :bonk:

Also, the brother of a former housemate of a good friend (a pretty tenuous connection, I'll grant you) finally qualified for the tour in the states this year and is six under after the first round in California - Gary Christian.

Bjorn? Off the top of my head, I'd say bigger than 40s but you may be in the right ball park.

Tiger has too many demons running around his head

In my eyes, he's still the best golfer on the planet. When he's on form and playing well, there is no-one on the planet who can get within touching distance of him.

Won his 1st tournamant in 2 years last month and has stated that its the first time in a long while that he has been able to play without pain.

That tournament he won was his own invitational was it not ? I'd love to see him back playing at the top of his game, for me only an in form McIroy could stay the pace with him. His performance last year at the US Open over 4 days was sensational

That tournament he won was his own invitational was it not ? I'd love to see him back playing at the top of his game, for me only an in form McIroy could stay the pace with him. His performance last year at the US Open over 4 days was sensational

It was his event yeah, The Chevron World Challenge.

Exactly, 18 man field as opposed to the usual 160 odd

Don't get too carried away with this one

It wasnt a field filled with mugs tho.

Zach Johnson

Paul Casey

Hunter Mahan

Matt Kuchar

Jim Furyk

Martin Laird

Rickie Fowler

Bubba Watson

Bo Van Pelt